Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Cannot disable game fullscreen scaling (Intel HD 4600)

TNien
Beginner

The problem:

When I start a fullscreen application in lower than native screen resolution, the image is automatically scaled (and stretched) to fill the screen.

Besides the obvious display problem, this seems to come with considerable amount of lag added. (At least the mouse movement feels very sluggish)

CPU: i5-4690K

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW

1680x1050 (16:10)

To be precise, the tested game is GTA 3 (DirectX) at 1024x768. (But it happens in any such game)

I want it to be displayed pixel accurate with black bars all around the game.

(GTA 3 supports my native resolution, but that is besides the point. (Actually, it isn't "properly" supported, as it is still stretched.))

I have read threads where people want the opposite, so why is mine always scaled and stretched?

Driver Version: 10.18.10.3907

DirectX: 11.0

The only scaling options I have are:

Display -> Scaling

Video -> Image Scaling

Neither of them seems to be doing what I want.

If I didn't know better, I'd think my monitor just stretches the image. The monitor reports 1024x768 as the resolution (while it is stretched to fullscreen).

But under Windows XP with a Nvidia GeForce GPU I could select "No Scaling" in their driver software and the result was the desired black bars around the game.

Please help?

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Graphics community.

More scaling options are available if you change other than native screen resolution. I am afraid the Intel Graphics Driver does not provide an option for "No Scaling", however, this would be nice feature for future drivers. I thank you for this feedback.

If you are able to display full scale image while playing games, this means the graphics controller, video BIOS, monitor's EDID and drivers are working correctly.

Allan.

0 Kudos
TNien
Beginner

Thank you for the response.

I would really appreciate it if that feature is considered.

For now, setting the desktop resolution to the (lower than native) in-game resolution and then setting the newly available display scaling option to "Center Image" seems to provide the desired result.

Regards

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the feedback.

Allan.

0 Kudos