6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 1:32 PM by kevin_intel

How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.

DhirenPatel

Question 01 : How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.

Question 02 : How to do : "Enables individual USB ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.

I visited : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/h67-express-chipset-2nd-gen-core-brief.html

I download "h67-express-chipset-2nd-gen-core-brief.PDF" file from this website and read on page no : 03, under "SATA Port Disable" section, "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed". I tried it but I could not find how to do it.

Same way, on page no : 03, under "USB Port Disable" section, "Enables individual USB ports to be enable or disabled as needed". I tried it but I could not find how to do it.

Please read the attached PDF file's page 03 for more understanding of these 2 questions.

Motherboard : Intel DH67CL

BIOS version : 0160.

Processor : i3-2120

HDD 01 (1TB SATA) : Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

HDD 02 (500GB SATA) : Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit

RAM : 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz

I request you, please guide me above 2 questions.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.
          kevin_intel

I am going to verify this with a demo and I will be back with more information.

Kevin M

• 2. Re: How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.
            DhirenPatel

Dear, thank you for your interest. I am waiting for your positive reply.

• 3. Re: How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.
              kevin_intel

Hi DhirenPatel,

Sorry for the delay.

I am still checking if this is possible. According to the Datasheet it should be but the BIOS seems not to provide the option.

I will be back as soon as I have more information.

Kevin M

• 4. Re: How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.
                kevin_intel

Hello DhirenPatel,

Sorry again for the delay.

Based on the research, this feature is possible but at the Chipset level implementation time for H67 Chipset. But this has not been implemented by design in our boards with H67 chipset.

You can explore more solutions such this one that allows block/disable USB ports:

http://www.intel.com/support/software/applications/sba/sb/CS-033348.htm

Kevin M

• 5. Re: How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.
                  DhirenPatel

Dear Mr. Kevin,

Thank you for your efforts + thank you for giving me reply.

Sir, the genuine reason for why I am very very extremely require the feature of "enable - disable individual SATA port" is as per below.

Below content / question + my observation I have written on "Microsoft Community" to get the technical solution, the same I am doing copy-paste here for you, so after reading it, you may suggest me any other alternate option or any 3rd party software / utility to "enable - disable individual SATA port".

###############################################################################################################################################

My question is :

Is there any error will come while booting the PC by any alternate O/S (by any alternate HDD) if I will connect 2 SATA HDD in 1 PC which has Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit on 1st HDD already installed & Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit on 2nd HDD already installed ? Is there any error will come as 2 different operating systems 32 bit & 64 bit in 2 different HDD connect together in 1 PC ?

Let me explain, for example :

While I power ON the PC, during BIOS screen, by pressing F10 key, if I choose to boot the PC from HDD 1, then PC will boot from Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit & I think after booing it, I can access the HDD 2 content (files & folders) stored on Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit HDD, right ?

Same way reverse, while I power ON the PC, during BIOS screen, by pressing F10 key, if I choose to boot the PC from HDD 2, then PC will boot from Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit & I think after booting it, I can access the HDD 1 content (files & folders) stored on Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit HDD, right ?

Please guide me, is it possible ? or is there any possibility of any of the operating system will become crash ?

Later on, after few days of my R&D, my observation I am sharing :

I have tried this 5 times & then I am writing this observation.

(Observation : 01) :
                  I have connected both HDDs in my PC.

When I boot PC from HDD 1 (Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit), then it will auto start of "CHKDSK" every time in the beginning of booting the O/S & it auto starts checking of all the partitions of HDD 1 (Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit) & HDD 2 (Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit).

1 time it has crashed Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit & I have to restore it again from the combination of bootable DVD of this O/S + its image I have kept safe on another 3rd USB HDD.

But when I disconnect HDD 2 (Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit) & boot PC with only HDD 1 (Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit), then there will be no auto start of "CHKDSK" every time in the beginning of booting the O/S.

(Observation : 02) :
                  Same way reverse,

I have connected both HDDs in my PC.

When I boot PC from HDD 2 (Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit), then it will auto start of,
                  "Preparing Automatic Repair" then,
                  "Diagnosing you PC" & then,
                  "Repairing disk error, this may take over an hour" & then,
                  "Scanning & repairing drive (C:) : 1 %, 5%, 25%....100%  complete",
                  this sequence every time in the beginning of booting the O/S & it auto starts checking of all the partitions of HDD 1 (Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit) & HDD 2 (Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit).

Finally every 5 times (not 1 time as above) it has crashed Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit & I have to restore it again from the combination of bootable DVD of this O/S + its image I have kept safe on another 3rd USB HDD.

But when I disconnect HDD 1 (Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit) & boot PC with only HDD 2 (Win 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit), then there will be no auto start of,
                  "Preparing Automatic Repair" then
                  "Diagnosing you PC" & then
                  "Repairing disk error, this may take over an hour" & then
                  "Scanning & repairing drive (C:) : 1 %, 5%, 25%....100%  complete"
                  every time in the beginning of booting the O/S.

Please guide me about my above problem & above 2 observations I shared with you.

I will be highly thankful if someone will guide me.

Thank you.

###############################################################################################################################################

Thank you Mr. Kevin for reading above content.

• 6. Re: How to do : "Enables individual SATA ports to be enable or disabled as needed" in DH67CL motherboard.
                    kevin_intel

You can connect any disk (with Operating System installed) on the system but there is a chance it may not be recognized by the new board correctly. This is because the Operating System installed on the HDD will take configurations from the motherboard where it was installed.

The observations you have done are expected due to the situation I mentioned above so I am sorry for the bad news.

Kevin M