5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2014 5:22 PM by ovicin

Edison AnalogInOutSerial Arduino example not working

ovicin

I am trying to run the AnalogInOutSerial example from the Arduino IDE on the Edison Arduino Expansion board but all the time I get an ADC reading of 130 even when connecting the ADC0 input to ground or to 3.3V.

I am trying to figure it now if there is a hardware problem on my expension board or a bug in the Arduino library.

Is there any special jumper setting on the Arduino Expension board that I might be missing?

Can somebody confirm me that the AnalogInOutSerial is running ok on the Edison Arduino board?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Edison AnalogInOutSerial Arduino example not working
          David_J_Hunt

Yes, I've successfully run that example just now. 1023 when A0 connected to +5v and 0 when A0 connected to GND.

Have you got a shield on the Arduino baseboard, or are you just connecting A0 to GND with a wire?

Rgds,

Dave.

• 2. Re: Edison AnalogInOutSerial Arduino example not working
            ovicin

I just connected the A0 to ground with a wire, so I suspect that my Edison Arduino Extension board has a HW problem as it looks like a preproduction sample with some workarounds on the PCB.

The same Edison I put it on the breakout board and here I receive all the time 0, which is correct as there is no ADC block present, so as you also confirmed me the SW stack seems to be OK.

Thanks a lot

• 3. Re: Edison AnalogInOutSerial Arduino example not working
              Sat-man

Ovicin,

I had the same issue when I was experimenting last weekend but didn't get change to get to the bottom of it, work getting in the way.  I was going to take another look this weekend.  In order to see whether it's a board issue or Ardunio IDE issue I was planning to use the information that Dave provided on a previous post to drive it from the command line or script..  

• 4. Re: Edison AnalogInOutSerial Arduino example not working
                Sat-man

Ovicin,

I've tried a couple of different approaches to reading the analog inputs this weekend, Arduino sketches, the Wiring-X86 python example, etc., and I'm not having any joy.  I also get a constant 0.   I'm now trying to see if I can track down the schematics to see if I can find a fault on the board.  Looking at the board I appear to be missing Q2, which appears to be fitted in the other pictures i've seen on the web.  Without the schematics however its difficult to tell if thats part of the analog input buffering circuit.

• 5. Re: Edison AnalogInOutSerial Arduino example not working
                  ovicin

I have now another arduino extension board and on this one is working ok. I checked it with the Arduino IDE and the mraa python library. So probably some of the very early boards might have some issues. Also you should double check that you have the last linux image flashed on your board "configure_edison --version " and "configure_edison --latest-version" should return the same value.