6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 5:13 PM by ndm242

D34010WYK CPU Throttling to ~230 MHz

ndm242

Hello,

We are experiencing problems with CPU throttling on a number of D34010WYK units. For reasons that are currently unknown, the CPU (i3-4010U) on these units throttles back to approximately 230 MHz and remains at that frequency until a reboot. Often, the problem will recur after a reboot (both hard and soft). I've already checked that there are no problems with cooling on the units, and the CPU scaling governor (in Linux) is set to "performance" with a range of 800 MHz to 1.7 GHz. The hardware reports a scaling range of 800 MHz to 1.7 GHz, so a frequency of 230 MHz should not be settable from software. We've deployed several hundred of these units in the field, and are experiencing this issue on about 2% of the units. The affected units are not able to run our application, and it is critical that we have a resolution to this problem within the next two weeks.

The following is as much information about the affected units that I can provide from the escalation checklist:

NUC Model: D34010WYK

Date of Manufacture: 06/2014

AA# or SA#: unavailable at this time

Serial numbers: unavailable at this time

BIOS Version: WYLPT10H.86A.0026.2014.0514.1714

Operating system: Ubuntu 14.04, Linux 3.15.6-031506-generic #201407172034 SMP Fri Jul 18 00:36:12 UTC 2014 x86_64

Monitor or TV make/model: Samsung, model number not available

Graphics driver version: i915 package version 2.99.910, driver reports "i915 1.6.0 20080730" in kernel log

Graphics port used: HDMI

Graphics converter/adapter used? no

AV receiver used? no

LAN device used: wired

LAN driver version: e1000e 2.3.2-k

LAN connectivity description: N/A

Memory: Kingston KVR16LS11S6/2 1.35V 2x2GB DDR3-1600

SSD: Kingston SMS200S3/30G 30GB

USB Devices: FTDI USB-RS232 adapter

Attached is the output of various system diagnostics tools, including /proc/cpuinfo, cpufreq-info, and lm-sensors.

Let me know if you need any other information. I'll be able to get the serial number information from the affected units soon. Thank you in advance for your help and support.

• 1. Re: D34010WYK CPU Throttling to ~230 MHz
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the NUC community.

At this stage, you need to make sure your NUC is updated with latest BIOS 0030

File name: WY0030.BIO

If this is a processor issue, please test the processor frequency with the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility bootable version:

Intel® Processor Identification Utility — Intel® Processor Identification Utility - bootable version for download

Also, verify the functionality of the processor with the processor diagnostic tool: Home

If you still have same problem with your NUC model, my recommendation is to contact Intel Customer Support for warranty replacement of your NUC. You can use our Web Ticketing system to do that.  Service Request Email

Allan.

• 2. Re: D34010WYK CPU Throttling to ~230 MHz
            ndm242

Thanks Allan, I will test the affected units as you suggested and try a BIOS update.

Do you know of any external factors that could have this effect on the NUC? It's the exact same problem on each one, and I've seen them recover and then throttle down again without any apparent reason. I'm wondering if something external might be the cause, such as changes in the power supply.

• 3. Re: D34010WYK CPU Throttling to ~230 MHz
              allan_intel

The power supply might drop processor frequency depending on the voltage and amperage juice. Also, make sure you have Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology (EIST) disabled in the BIOS. This feature allows the system to lower processor frequency to save power.

BIOS> Power> Intel(R) Dynamic Power Technology>Custom

Disable EIST.

Allan.

• 4. Re: D34010WYK CPU Throttling to ~230 MHz
                ndm242

Hi Allan,

I just wanted to follow up with some more information about the affected NUCs.

I have serial numbers from three of the NUCs having this issue: G6YK42300ERA, G6YK42400UDK, G6YK42400UDC.

I ran the CPU test on several of the affected NUCs, and the test passed on all of them. I then disabled all dynamic-power features (both SpeedStep and TurboBoost) and have not seen those NUCs throttle down since the setting change (about 5 days ago).

Currently, our plan is to disable SpeedStep and TurboBoost on all of the NUCs in our deployment. There are close to 500 units deployed, so manually changing the BIOS setting on each one would be a time-consuming task. Do you know of a way to change this setting while the STBs are running (under Linux), so that the setting is applied on reboot?

Thanks again for all of your help and support.

• 5. Re: D34010WYK CPU Throttling to ~230 MHz
                  allan_intel

Intel does not provide command lines for this type of settings. You would need to check with Linux community site for peer assistance with this issue.

Open Source and Linux Forums

Allan.

• 6. Re: D34010WYK CPU Throttling to ~230 MHz
                    ndm242

Allan,

Late last week, we updated the BIOS to version 0030 and disabled EIST as you suggested on approximately 200 units. Today, we saw the problem again with one of these units. The clock frequency is fluctuating between 227 and 241 MHz.

Replacing the units doesn't seem to help. We replaced one of the units that was having problems with a spare, and that unit also began exhibiting problems after a couple of days.

Is there anything else you can suggest we try? Is there any data we can collect that would help diagnose the problem?

Thanks