1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2015 10:06 PM by Sriranjan

Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board

flummer

Hi,

Last weekend I bought an Edison module and the Mini Breakout Board at the Maker Faire in Rome.

I have now been trying to get it up and running, trying to follow the Edison Getting Started Guide - Mac and Flashing Edison (wired) - Mac but either I'm doing something wrong or something is different with the board I got.

• I have mounted the Edison on the Mini Breakout Board and screwed it on with the tiny screws and it sits nice and flush.
      • I have then connected both of the USB connections to the computer and installed the drivers (I have tried both Mac OS/X Mavericks and Windows 7 64bit)
      • The FTDI serial port shows up on both machines, I can connect to it using screen and PuTTY, but I haven't seen ANYTHING in the terminals (I have tried powering off and on by disconnecting the OTG connection, but I still see nothing).
      • The other USB connection presents itself as "MERRIFIELD" VID/PID: 8086/E005 (same on Mac and Windows)

Even with the Intel drivers for Edison installed, I only see the MERRIFIELD device, there is no storage device, composite, CDC or RNDIS.

Anybody have some ideas as to what I can try, what could be wrong or how to proceed?

/Thomas

• 1. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
          KMB

Make sure to

1. Connect two micro USB cables into the Arduino board, and the other ends into your computer.

2. Then follow Step 5 – Connect Edison to WiFi of the getting started guide.

• 2. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
            flummer

Hi KMB.

Thanks for your suggestion, just tried it and I don't see ANYTHING in the terminal in PuTTY.

/Thomas

• 3. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
              David_J_Hunt

Here's how I normally go about connecting the mini-breakout.

Without the breakout connected, I open a terminal on the Mac, and type

screen /dev/tty.usbserial-

Hitting tab to make sure there's no serial connections. Then I connect in the usb connection nearest the corner of the board, and hit tab again. A serial port will appear on the mac, and I follow it up with 115200 for the baud rate.

screen /dev/tty.usbserial-AJ035Q0Z 115200

Thats the console connected.

Then I connect the other usb connector to the mac, at which stage I see one solid green led on the breakout near the USB connectors, and one blinking going solid at the other end of the board. At this stage, I can see output on the console, booting to linux.

If you're seeing no output at all on the console, then the board is either not seated on the 70-pin Hirose connector properly (it should click into place and needs a good firm push), or you have another hardware problem. You should at least be seeing the LEDs on the board. Maybe change the USB cables. That's helped some members here, but none have reported dead boards so far.

Rgds,

Dave.

• 4. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                flummer

Hi Dave,

The connection process is very similar to what I have been doing, and I see the green LED light up and right at the beginning, the other green LED (I think it's related to LiPo charging) usually also gives a short blink (I guess it's until it figures out there is no LiPo connected), but I see nothing in the terminal.

When I get home tonight I'll try to see if the board isn't fully inserted, that would explain the trouble.

I'll let you know how it goes!

/Thomas

• 5. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                  flummer

Well... I just tried to disconnect and reconnect the Edison module from the Mini breakout board, but it's the same as before, also seems to be sitting correctly. Changing USB cables also doesn't have any effect (I have tried 4 different ones).

To me it seems like there is a functioning connection, I see a USB device on the computer for each of the cable connections (FTDI serial port on one and the MERRIFIELD device on the other), it just looks like the board isn't booting up or anything?

Could it be an empty flash or something like that? Would there be a way to program that if it's the case?

/Thomas

• 6. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                    AlexT_Intel

Stupid question, but maybe With PuTTY serial connection which is blank, have you tried hitting Enter a couple of times? For me it's blank like that all the time (unless I connect during the boot sequence) and hitting Enter gets activates it.

As far as empty flash is concerned - that would be quite a unique case I guess and I haven't heard of anything like that.

• 7. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                      flummer

Hi Alex,

Yes, I have tried that... both hitting enter a few times and monitoring at the very beginning like Dave explained above, but still nothing.

Are any of you seeing that MERRIFIELD device (0x8086:0xE005) show up on the USB bus, or do you only have other types of devices in regards to the "OTG" port on the Edison?

/Thomas

• 8. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                        AlexT_Intel

Let me try it out for you. I happen to have a brand new Edison+mini breakout board kit, which I haven't yet updated to the latest SW or even actually powered on.

I'll check it out and share my findings shortly.

• 9. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                          David_J_Hunt

Yes, I see the merrifield device briefly in device manager on windows, but it's replaced with the multi-function devices very soon after boot starts. (RNDIS, Storage, and Virtual COM Port).

Are you using 115200 for the baud rate in Putty when connecting to the console? I don't think you'll see any output if it's not set to 115200.

Failing that, do you have access to a linux machine that you could try? If you do, I'd suggest trying to do a "flashall.sh -b" with the latest image.

The '-b' option clears and re-creates the partitions, then flashes the partitions needed, including the rootfs.

The reason I say Linux, is that windows drivers (for me)  have always been fiddly, due to windows being windows, and I haven't had much success flashing with my Mac, so I spend most time on a Linux laptop when doing that kind of thing to my Edison boards. It's easier to install dfu-utils to do the flash, and the serial drivers and gadget drivers all work on linux without any of the complicated setup you need on windows.

Rgds,

Dave.

• 10. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                            KMB

Here is how my rig is connected

Edison.png

1. First conned the board to the Mac.

2. Setup the scress using a terminal window  "screen /dev/cu.usbserial-AJ035R4H 115200 -L" Note: your device ID may be different

3. Connect the 2nd USB to a power source

4. I see the boot sequence in the terminal wind (from step 2)

• 11. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                              flummer

Yes, I'm using 115200 for the baud rate.

It kind of sounds like the bootup procedure isn't happening on my board, the MERRIFIELD device is there permanently.

I'll give it a try with Linux, either a Virtual Box or maybe I can do an install on a separate disk for the Thinkpad.

/Thomas

• 12. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                                flummer

I have it setup the same way... also tried powering it from a 10 W iPad charger...

The LED close to the button and antenna connection, does that stay on, or only a short blink in the beginning?

/Thomas

• 13. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                                  AlexT_Intel

Just tried it and it's pretty much the same as for @David_J_Hunt and KMB, with the SoC driver package installed I quickly get the proper gadget devices shown in the Device Manager (I'm on win 7 x64).

The case that you get only the Merrifield one sort of suggests the board either gets stuck at the very beginning of the boot sequence, or that the driver isn't installed properly. Lack of the console output is quite enigmatic because that's a very basic thing which is supposed to work pretty much always...

At this point, I'd either suggest you to try the reflash as David has suggested (on Linux, on Windows that method doesn't work, Mac reported to be troublesome AFAICS in the Community).

And double-check your USB cables if you're powering it off USB only, I saw at least one report here where replacing a cable helped that person with troubles in the similar setup.

• 14. Re: Trouble getting started with Edison and the Mini breakout board
                                    AlexT_Intel

The LED near the antenna connector lights up early in a boot sequence and stays on until the board is rebooted. Solid, no blinking at all.

1 2 3 Previous Next