7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2014 12:27 PM by joe_intel

Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."

Integer

Intel RAID Web Console 2 version:  14.05.02.03

Motherboard:  Supermicro X9SAE

Onboard Intel RAID Chipset:  Intel(R)  C216 Express PCH  SATA RAID Controller

- POSSIBLY IMPORTANT:  Server role is a Hyper-V server --does this confuse how RCW2 uses the network to find itself?

Firewall:  off

The tray icon Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver can see the RAID arrays.

But the installation of RWC2 doesn't see any servers.  It reports that "Servers could not be found because server may be down or server not installed in the host system".

I have tried both "Complete" and "Standalone" installs.  I don't have an LDAP server so I don't use LDAP when trying to access RWC2.  I reboot after each install and it doesn't help.

Could someone give me a hand with this?  I've included a screenshot.  RWC2 highlights the error in yellow.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed and working.  The RST drivers and tray icon GUI are ALMOST good enough for me.  But they don't log errors and I'd like that functionality.

Intel Raid Webconsole - Server could not be found.png

• 1. Re: Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."
          joe_intel

As far as we can see from the motherboard specifications, your motherboard is intended to be used with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology because of the Intel® C216 Express PCH; while Intel® RAID Web Console is used with LSI-based controllers.

This explains the behavior you described above but if you want us to take a deeper look into it I recommend sharing a screenshot of Device Manager showing the motherboard’s SATA/RAID controllers.

• 2. Re: Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."
            Integer

Sure.  Here you go.

The screenshot also shows the version of the Intel RST driver:  13.1.0.1058, which I think is the latest.

Also shown is the fact that I'm running this on a Win 2012 R2 system with the Hyper-V role enabled. 

Perhaps RWC2 is confused with which NIC to use.  It should be using the Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2 like everything else is.  But I don't know if RWC is using the right NIC and I don't know how to force it to do so.

I'm wondering if I should have set up RWC2 before I enabled the Hyper-V role.  But it's too late now; I've got a number of VMs running now.

Hopefully you have a suggestion.  I'd be happy to supply any other info needed.

----------------------------------

Server Device Manager - Storage Controller.png

• 3. Re: Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."
              joe_intel

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is the software that needs to be used (instead of the Intel® RAID Web Console) with the hardware you mentioned above.

• 4. Re: Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."
                Integer

Thanks Joe.  I do have the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology tray icon app.  It works well.  But it doesn't have a logging feature that RWC2 has. 

I've used RWC2 in the past but it was with an Intel S3210SHLC motherboard that had an "Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology II" controller.  I guess Intel has no plans of making RWC2 work with the RST controller?  Or add the logging capability into the RST software? 

I do appreciate you clearing up my little mystery.  So thanks again.

• 5. Re: Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."
                  joe_intel

Logs are created into the Windows* Event Log (Windows Logs, System) and there is email notification within Intel® Rapid Storage Technology; does any of these features work for you?

• 6. Re: Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."
                    Integer

Yes and no:

Email works well for me but it'd be nicer if there was an actual log like there was in RWC2.  Information pertaining to the RAID subsystem should available at the server, not be sitting *only* in someone's email account.  While I use Gmail and thus there's nearly no limit to the amount of email storage, others might not be so lucky. 

The System Events log in Windows is full of things unrelated to the RAID subsystem.  Yes, the event viewer logs can be filtered but I haven't tried for the RST messages and I don't know what to filter it by at this moment so that I see just the RST log items.

I attach the image that I had put into my other thread showing the older RWC2' logging capabilities just so others who didn't see it know what I mean. 

Intel Raid Webconsole 2 old version with log capability.png

Personally, I think it'd be very straightforward to implement this feature and not that much effort.  May I suggest you put that into a future release of RST?  (...hire a summer intern.  Any 3rd-year Computer Science student would be able to knock this feature off in short order.)

Or can I ask why RWC2 can't be modified to make it work with the RST subsystem?  Is this a marketing decision?  i.e., don't do it lest it cannibalizes sales of the higher end controllers?

• 7. Re: Intel RAID Web Console 2 and error "Servers could not be found..."
                      joe_intel

I understand the points you have described. All I can say is that Intel® RAID Web Console was designed to be used with different hardware.

I believe that your suggestion in regards of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is a very good one and I will forward it to our engineering department for consideration.