3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 12:31 AM by antinnit

Project: Node.js Hexapod

intel_dan

This project is under construction, I will post more details later.

Programmed in Node.js using the Intel XDK IoT Edition

- SevoController hardware/library (written for this project) uses two 16channel 12bit PWM chips (via i2c)

purchased here: Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver - I2C interface [PCA9685] ID: 815 - $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & f…

- Wii-mote control via bluetooth

- Smart phone control via webSockets

- Individual control of all 18 servo motors

Mandibles were cut out using a 1930's scroll saw. Material is ~1/8" ABS from the top cover of an old desktop PC (horizontal)  enclosure.

Video #1: Early footage 'everything' still external power,servo controller, Edison)

Video#2: Edsion, Lipo, Servo boards all 'onboard' the hexapod

• 1. Re: Project: Node.js Hexapod
          rwaldron

To what degree is this controlled by JavaScript running in Node.js? Are you planning to publish the source code on github?

Donovan Buck, a Johnny-Five core committer, has built a completely JavaScript programmed hexapod as well (w/ Johnny-Five framework), and one of my goals for establishing Edison support has been to prove that his program can be run on the Edison with little modification. I know he plans to design a device interface to support for the PCA9685 in the Servo class.

NodeBots Day 2014 Hexapod on Vimeo

Controller code for the Phoenix: https://github.com/rwaldron/johnny-five/blob/master/docs/phoenix.md

• 2. Re: Project: Node.js Hexapod
            intel_dan

@rwaldron in response to "To what degree is this controlled by JavaScript running in Node.js?"

I am interfacing with the PCA9685 using the i2c node module (i2c) and a Custom servo class I wrote.

Misc GPIO is done via the onoff node module

The wiimote code is reading the button presses from /dev/input and using some ioctl code (all node.js)

I still don't have my IK engine up and running yet, but I might take a look at that code you linked to.

I would like to post my code to github at some point, it is not quite mature enough yet.

• 3. Re: Project: Node.js Hexapod
              antinnit

looks cool intel_dan, i've been trying to get i2c to work with the PCA9685 on edison in C++ with no joy (no idea what i'm doing tbh), any pointers?