8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 2:17 PM by AlexT_Intel

Need help/direction on building LIRC for Galileo

ghanashyamprabhu

Hi, I am trying to get some IR related stuff to work on Galileo - Using fast IO via Arduino did not work as expected. Every time I sampled the fast IO, I got a different value while trying to decode the IR stream from my remote control. Next step I used RaspberryPi to decode the IR stream and it worked out of the box! But I need this to work on my Galileo Gen 1.

With the Raspberry Pi, I think the lirc driver came along with the raspbian wheezy. Then I had to install lirc package to be able to use user level functions like irsend(for transmit)/irrecord (to decode).

So I guess there are two parts to this which I have to port to Galileo

• LIRC Device Driver kernel module

I used the Yocto build sequence and I could see that the menuconfig did have LIRC listed under Staging/Device Drivers/media/rc/ . But I am not sure if it is GPIO capable. By the look of it, it seems like the device driver only only has lirc serial (UART) and a few other custom devices. I took at look at the Raspberry Pi device driver and it seems like its a modified version of the original lirc_serial. Would I have to write a separate driver just like this to get this working on Galileo?

• LIRC package for user space functions - A simple Google search shows that the package is part of the poky distribution but does not feature in the sources in the Yocto Build setup. The dev tools thread on the forum https://communities.intel.com/message/228214#228214 shows that one could compile the packages on Galileo, could I do this on Debian

Need help on getting the tasks listed here since I am a newbie on driver development.

Any help/direction to clear off my confusions here is appreciated

Thanks

Ghanashyam