Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Like Vista, Win7 Aero and Mobile4 latest drivers causing image corruption

idata
Employee

This issue occurs with high frequency with Windows 7. The issue was seen with Vista infrequently. Both versions of the OS were Ultimate.

Win7 Aero Themes show corrupted desktop background, window border buttons and even content inside the window. See attached images for examples.

Graphics Driver (on-board graphics solution):

Product DetectedMobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset FamilyCurrent Driver Installed8.15.10.1855

Machine: HP 2730p (Tablet PC)

I know that this driver is beta for Win7. The issue is that the same problem happened when this machine was running Vista Ultimate with WHQL certified drivers from Intel. With this version of the driver, the problem take less than a minute to occur vs. it took a few days before it happened with Vista ultimate.

Hovering over buttons or menu option corrects a portion of the image - seems like whatever refreshed like a button or menu or even the contect inside the window.

This is a major bug because it makes using the computer a total nuisance.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
idata
Employee

I have the same problem. The only way it stopped was installing old vista drivers. But with the old drivers, laptop has poor perfomance, so it's not a good solution.

I've been waiting the new driver versions but the problem persist and i have to back to the old version again.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

so were can i get them this drivers since last week i cant get them

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've actually found a partial fix for this, involving tweaking the OpenGL settings. For my Dell Latitude D630, it cleared up the corruption/flickering. Don't know if it'll work for your HP, but give it a shot!

http://www.michichael.com/random.php?a=43 http://www.michichael.com/random.php?a=43

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm having the same issue on a Dell Latitude E4200 on Win7 Ultimate RTM. I tried the new drivers that were released in the last day or two, and it didn't help. I did notice one interesting thing though. I'm running this machine through the advanced docking station, which has two DVI ports. I normally run the system with the screens in extended mode, meaning two independent displays. This is the one setting where this problem occurs. If I use either monitor in a single mode fashion, no corruption. If I run them in clone mode, same thing on two screens, it works fine. The issue only crops up when I'm running in an extended fashion. Does anyone know if Intel is working on this issue? It's REALLY annoying!

Note: I didn't have this problem with Vista.

Update: Unfortunately I was wrong about the monitor mode issue. It's happening in clone mode as well, just no where near as frequently. IE doesn't seem to have the issue, but firing open OneNote almost always makes it happen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The problem is not fixed and no indication from Intel if they doing anything about this.

- On my system, the issue happens with or without dual or single or clone mode

- The latest drivers that fixed the problem for someone did not fix the issue on my computer

- The OpenGL workaround did not fix the issue completely but extended the time before the issue occurs. Once it occurs then it happens with the same frequency as before until I log out or restart the machine.

Message was edited by: msfncjem&# 13; &# 13; The issue happens immediately when FireFox 3.x is turned on or if office 207 applications run.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Issue happens with the latest Win7 intel driver release -

Production Version Release

Microsoft Windows* 7

Driver Revision: 15.15.4.1872

August 20, 2009

* NOTE: This document refers to systems containing the

* following Intel chipsets:

* Intel(R) B43 Express Chipset

* Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset

* Intel(R) G43 Express Chipset

* Intel(R) G45 Express Chipset

* Intel(R) Q43 Express Chipset

* Intel(R) Q45 Express Chipset

* Mobile Intel(R) GL40 Express Chipset

* Mobile Intel(R) GM45 Express Chipset

* Mobile Intel(R) GS45 Express Chipset

* Mobile Intel(R) GS40 Express Chipset

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Has anyone resolved this issue with a machine rebuild? I know I did an upgrade, and was wondering if a fresh install would help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You may want to dissable the VT-d Feature in the BIOS.

It's a CPU configuratoin under Virtualization.

You can find more info on the subject here (page 14):

http://www.intel.com/assets/PDF/specupdate/320123.pdf

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi,

i don't know where i can disable this VT-d Feature in the BIOS. i've search in the bios but, there's not such parameter.

I have a Dell Studio Laptop and i don't even know if it has this feature.

Win 7 is about to get released and we don't have a decent driver yet???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The disabling of the VT features fixed the issue for me. Luckily, I don't need them on this laptop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks ksok!! Your suggestion to disable virtualization fixed the problem on my latitude e4200 with the intel x4500 graphics chip.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The problem for me is that I need to run several apps in XP mode, so I cannot disable virtualization. I have turned off the Aero, and that seems to fix it. But that takes away some of the novelty of having Windows 7 too. I am waiting for a driver update. Has anyone gotten through to Intel at all? They are quiet on this...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You don't have to completely disable virtualization. Just disable VT-d which is Directed I/O if that is there in the bios settings. On the E4200 there is a separate option to disable only the Directed I/O which fixed the problem for me while leaving virtualization enabled.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm using a dell studio1737, and in the bios I see no option for virtualization settings. Is there any other way to disable them?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not sure if there is. Your other option is to replace your RAM so that you have matching RAM modules, i.e., 2GB, 4GB or 8GB of memory in total. That should fix the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

I had the same video corruption using Windows 7 RTM build 7260 and Vaio Sony VGN-BZ560.

I disabled the virtualization, I have no VT-d switch, and the problem disappeared.

Thought I would share this, thank you for your help.

Cervotel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a Dell Studio 1555 and am having this same problem. I, too, do not have virtualization settings in my BIOS, and I do not plan on upgrading the RAM (I have an unmatched pair - 2GB + 1GB). This leaves me with 2 questions:

1) Is this problem likely to be fixed (eventually?) by a driver update? I have tried the Intel, Dell and Windows Update releases of the driver.

2) I'm kind of curious, is this still a problem with the current Vista drivers? Judging by the title of this thread, it sounds like this at least WAS a problem. I would have thought those bugs would be worked out - I never used Vista on this laptop though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here is a description in pdf. Page 14.

http://developer.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/320123.pdf

Either use symmetric RAM modules, or use an old yet 7.15.10.1508 driver version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

col me if u have time on my number its0816235110,0817230732 my name is malvin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same issue with a Dell E4200 running Windows 7 Enterprise x86 and the Mobile 4 chipset. I have tried the above fixes to no avail. I suppose disabling Aero might help, but don't really want to do that... I may have to until there is a fix though because this is difficult to live with.

0 Kudos