11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 7:24 PM by jcuzella

Edison WiFi woes

rubidium

I just tried setting up WiFi for the first time and am at an impasse.  Here's the story:

1. With configure_edison --setup I gave my system a name and password, and then got to the WiFi setup.  It showed all the familiar access points in my local environment, including my router. I selected my router and entered the long WPA2 passphrase. Looks good at this point:

Configure Edison: WiFi Connection

Scanning: 1 seconds left

0 :     Rescan for networks

1 :     Manually input a hidden SSID

2 :     personal_network-guest

3 :     personal_network

4 :     FT3SH

5 :     MzMuMu

6 :     TARTARUSNET_RPT

7 :     TARTARUSNET

Enter 0 to rescan for networks.

Enter 1 to input a hidden network SSID.

Enter a number between 2 to 7 to choose one of the listed network SSIDs: 7

Is TARTARUSNET correct? [Y or N]: y

Password must be between 8 and 63 characters.

What is the network password?: ******************************

Initiating connection to TARTARUSNET. Please wait...

Attempting to enable network access, please check 'wpa_cli status' after a minute to confirm.

Done. Please connect your laptop or PC to the same network as this device and go to http://192.168.2.9 or http://fswap.local in your browser.

root@fswap:~#

2. In a browser connected to the same network, I try going to http://192.168.2.9 but browser just hangs.

3. On Edison, I ping 192.168.2.9 and get response, but ping my router at 192.168.2.1 or anything else other than the Edison and get NO response:

root@fswap:~# ping 192.168.2.9

PING 192.168.2.9 (192.168.2.9): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.2.9: seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.321 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.9: seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.286 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.9: seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.286 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.9: seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.286 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.9: seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.286 ms

^C

--- 192.168.2.9 ping statistics ---

5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max = 0.286/0.293/0.321 ms

root@fswap:~# ping 192.168.2.1

PING 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1): 56 data bytes

^C

--- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics ---

11 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

4. wpa_cli -i wlan0 status looks good:

root@fswap:~# wpa_cli -i wlan0 status

bssid=c0:c1:c0:22:cb:e1

ssid=TARTARUSNET

id=8

mode=station

pairwise_cipher=CCMP

group_cipher=CCMP

key_mgmt=WPA2-PSK

wpa_state=COMPLETED

ip_address=192.168.2.9

address=78:4b:87:a4:48:e7

uuid=8a1f534b-9f9c-52d0-847d-7ef72a8ba17f

The bssid shown is indeed the mac address of the wireless part of my router.

5. My router lists a DCHP client with the correct mac address of the Edison, and the correct assigned IP address of 192.168.2.9.

Everything looks good to me, except I can't communicate wirelessly to or from the Edison. I'm at a complete loss.

Jim

• 1. Re: Edison WiFi woes
          intel_dan

You need to run 'configure_edison --server' to be able to connect to the IP of your Edison trough a browser.

It is strange that you can not ping your router.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edison WiFi woes
            rubidium

I did run 'configure_edison --server', but to no avail. More disconcerting is my inability to ping, despite the setup looking good everywhere.

Ironically, a simple 'systemctl start hostapd" effortlessly sets up the WiFi as an AP with IP address 192.168.42.1.  I can link to this with my cell phone, which is subsequently given the IP address 192.168.42.20. Then I can successfully ping 192.168.42.20 from Edison, and successfully open the page at  http://192.168.42.1 from my phone's browser. So Edison WiFi works *flawlessly* in AP more, and what's more is that it's painless to set up.

So what's wrong with my setup above where I am simply trying to gain internet access from my Edison so that I may SSH to it and also download and install a few packages with opkg? This can't be that hard.

Still scratching my head ...

Jim

• 3. Re: Edison WiFi woes
              rubidium

Wow ... an apparently overlooked conflict resolved by issuing 'ifconfig usb0 down'.  Now I can SSH wirelessly.

• 4. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                Jesse_B

I'm finding if I have to power the edison off and back on, I then have to manually re-establish a wifi connection.  Is there a way to save the settings so I can plug it in and immediately ssh?

• 5. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                  Jesse_B

Following this Connecting to a Wireless Network via Linux* it seems to be working ok, it was that or the configure_edison --server command, those the only things I attempted regarding wifi.

• 6. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                    szirin

Yes, your Wi-Fi network was using the same IP network number as Edison's USB Gadget driver network.   Good find noticing the addressing conflict between the two networks!

• 7. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                      rubidium

Same was happening to me.  Finally answered in post 13 of this thread: SSH to my edison?

• 8. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                        szirin

Jesse, the instructions you followed at Connecting to a Wireless Network via Linux* use the command 'systemctl start wpa_supplicant' to start-up the Wi-Fi supplicant and network until the next reboot.   Configuring Wi-Fi with 'configure_edison --setup' also enables the supplicant (and network) to start on every boot.  It does this with the command 'systemctl enable wpa_supplicant' which enables the required service to start automatically at the appropriate point in the startup sequence.

Try running 'systemctl enable wpa_supplicant' to enable automatically starting of Wi-Fi and use 'systemctl disable wpa_supplicant' if you ever want to disable automatic starting of Wi-Fi.

• 9. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                          poseid

I still had some problems to get Wifi working with my device. Here is what i did:

1) ensure Yocto Linux is at latest release (without it, my Wifi network is not found)

2) configure Wifi on edison worked, but I could not login via the browser. Only a local curl 192.168.2.112 was working

3) I issued ifconfig usb0 down --> now I could login via the wifi - to prevent problems I removed the usb cable for serial control

4) I still had to issue a route command with:

/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.2.1

It would be great to be able to connect from a laptop to the Edison without these extra configuration steps.

• 10. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                            jcuzella

I had to patch the version of the "configure_edison" script that came with the intel image in order to get the WiFi password input to accept special characters.

This was for the version of configure_edison that comes with:

Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.6.1

cat /etc/release

EDISON-3.0

Copyright Intel 2015

To patch, create a patch / diff file:

--- a/configure_edison

+++ b/configure_edison

@@ -190,11 +190,11 @@

def _changeAPSSID(newName):

saveDefaultSSID()

-  subprocess.call(["sed", "-i", "s/^ssid=.*/ssid=" + newName + "/", "/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf"])

+  subprocess.call(["sed", "-i", "s/^ssid=.*/ssid=" + re.escape(newName) + "/", "/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf"])

subprocess.call("systemctl restart mdns && sleep 2", shell=True)

def _changeP2PSSID(newName):

-  subprocess.call(["sed", "-i", "s/^p2p_ssid_postfix=.*/p2p_ssid_postfix=" + newName + "/", "/etc/wpa_supplicant/p2p_supplicant.conf"])

+  subprocess.call(["sed", "-i", "s/^p2p_ssid_postfix=.*/p2p_ssid_postfix=" + re.escape(newName) + "/", "/etc/wpa_supplicant/p2p_supplicant.conf"])

def changePassword(newPass):

if WSREGEX.search(newPass):

@@ -219,7 +219,7 @@

chpasswdSub.communicate()[0]

def _changeAPPassword(newPass):

-  subprocess.call(["sed", "-i", "s/^wpa_passphrase=.*/wpa_passphrase=" + newPass + "/", "/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf"])

+  subprocess.call(["sed", "-i", "s/^wpa_passphrase=.*/wpa_passphrase=" + re.escape(newPass) + "/", "/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf"])

def getNetworkIdentity():

return raw_input("Please enter the network username: ")

Then, patch the file with:

cd /usr/bin/

patch configure_edison  /tmp/configure_edison.patch

• 11. Re: Edison WiFi woes
                              jcuzella

Wow!  It's surprisingly hard to find the upstream source code repos for anything Intel Edison related!

After hours of searching, I finally managed to figure out that the configure_edison script is installed by the oobe package:

root@mu-lyrae:~# opkg whatprovides '*/configure_edison'

What provides */configure_edison

root@mu-lyrae:~# opkg search '/usr/bin/configure_edison'

oobe - 1.2.0-r0

root@mu-lyrae:~# opkg files oobe | grep configure_edison

/usr/bin/configure_edison

Once I knew the package, a search for "Intel Edison oobe" finally turned up the repo that builds the Yocto image layer: meta-intel-edison - Layer for the Intel Edison Development Platform

Cloning that repo down, I searched again for oobe, and found another reference to an upstream repo: meta-intel-edison-distro/recipes-support/oobe/oobe_1.2.0.bb#L4

Which pointed me finally to:

GitHub - 01org/edison-oobe

Finally I was able to make a Pull Request to fix the bug I found:

Fix for WiFi Passwords with special characters by trinitronx · Pull Request #2 · 01org/edison-oobe · GitHub

Hopefully whoever's in charge merges & it gets put into newer releases!