Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

HD4600 - Random Cut to Black

PB5
Novice

I am having a problem using the onboard intel HD4600 of my Gigabyte Z87-HD3.

Randomly during use the screen will cut to black the AV amp shows no audio in and then everything returns a second later.

This is very annoying.

My system is as follows:

Gigabyte Z87-HD3

i5-4430

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Connected to:

Onkyo TX-NR515 via HDMI. (Which is connected to a Sharp LED TV)

Originally my problem was the well documented issue whereby on turning the Amp / TV off but leaving the PC on I would not get sound back unless I rebooted the PC when turning the AMP / TV back on.

I updated the drivers to the latest version and the BIOS to the latest version. This solved the above.

I am not sure if my random cut to black problem is since this update or not. I never really got to use the PC much for video before the fix.

Would appreciate any pointers.

I have tested the TV/Amp with another PC and a Blu-Ray player, it never does this then.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi xPETEZx, I list below the most recent driver versions, so you can try the one you do not have installed.

You may want to try using a different HDMI cable, perhaps a new version is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI# Versions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI# Versions

Another possible option is to upgrade the AV receiver's firmware.

0 Kudos
PB5
Novice

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried both the drivers you have linked to already.

The issue still occurs with both.

I am currently using a HDMI 1.4 cable.

I can try with a lower version to see if that makes any difference too.

My AVR is on the latest firmware available for it.

Would be interested to hear if anybody else has this issue and knows of a work around / fix?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Does it work properly when connecting the TV directly, bypassing the AVR?

I would suggest using a different HDMI cable if possible, quality may be a suspect.

This is just one of the available options: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Supports/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415306929&sr=8-1&keywords=HDMI+cable http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Supports/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415306929&sr=8-1&keywords=HDMI+cable

0 Kudos
PB5
Novice

The HDMI cable is of good quality. I have tested the cable with another source and it's fine.

Same issue occurs when connected directly to the TV.

This issue does not occur when using any other device connected to the tv or amp. Including a PC using a AMD Radeon card.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
Same issue occurs when connected directly to the TV.

So, there are not adapters, converters or KVMs used with this setup?

What is the TV model?

Please attach the Intel® HD Graphics and DxDiag reports (press Windows* key + R key, type "dxdiag", press OK and then click "Save All Information").

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009476.htm Graphics Drivers — Intel® Graphics Driver Report

0 Kudos
PB5
Novice

No KVMs / Converters used. Just an Onkyo TX-NR515.

The TV is a Sharp LC32E700 I think.

The issue in this equation is NOT the TV or the Amp. As I have said, I have other devices connected via the same method that do not experiance this issue.

I am very tempted to just install an add-in graphics card and be done with this problem.

6 Months after buying this motherboard it is still not 100% functional.

Very annoying when watching something via the PC getting random cuts to black all the time.

I will get you a DXDiag once I am home. Appears you cant run this via RDP and get info on the local display adapter.

0 Kudos
PB5
Novice

Here is the DXDIAG output:

Edit: File attached by joe_intel

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Have you tried testing the system in safe mode? I believe you will need to use the TV as the main display.

It is also possible that the HDMI port in the motherboard is just defective. Can you test it with a completely different display?

0 Kudos
PB5
Novice

I have just replaced the TV with a new Samsung unit.

The issue remains.

I have not yet tried this in safe mode.

To be quiet honest, I have completely lost the will to waste anymore time on Intel HD4600.

I have a cheap £20 AMD Radeon which never gave me any issues, so I think I will just re-install this.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

If it is not the cable there is a chance that the HDMI port in the motherboard is physically damaged.

0 Kudos
PB5
Novice

I would expect the port to not work at all if it is physically damaged.

I still believe this to be a software / Bios based issue.

To confirm both, I need to install some new drives in the machine tomorrow anyway, so will be sure to check the port over physically and also to see if I get this issue before Windows boots. (IE in the Bios)