12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 10:59 AM by Matha

Edison IDE

Matha

Thx to the detailed instructions I have PuTTY and WiFi connectivity to the Yocto image. How can I go about doing my development work in "some IDE" in Edison rather than the tethered host which ran the Blink confirmation? I would like to disconnect the umbilical cords to the host and do everything via Edison (after connecting a suitable power supply, of course). How about IDLE support with Yocto? Can I install Edison flavored Arduino IDE (Linux) along the same lines as I did on the host (alas, that was Windows). Rgds.

• 1. Re: Edison IDE
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi Matha,

If you are looking for the Edison IDE go to the Edison-Software Downloads website https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23242 and download the version that fits your OS.

Regards

Sergio

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edison IDE
            aceperry

Intel_Alvarado: I had the same question as Matha.  It wasn't clear to me what tools are used to develop for the Edison board.  I see the Arduino IDE downloads, but was wondering if that was supposed to be used to develop applications.  According to the documentation, there is a libiotkit-comm library and other plugins, written in C, so I wanted to know if you should use the intel Arduino IDE for that or some other toolchain?

• 3. Re: Edison IDE
              intel_dan

Other options that I know of (and happen to be developed by Intel):

C/C++: Download the (eclipse based) C/C++ Application Development Toolkit (ADT)

Node.js/javascript: Download the Intel XDK IoT Edition

• 4. Re: Edison IDE
                aceperry

Thank you for the link Dan.  I was looking for that. 

• 5. Re: Edison IDE
                  Matha

Understood. I was looking for something along the lines of "opkg" for native development as well as Arduino but your guidance is fine for my current needs because it will get me started. I am assuming that the Linux Arduino download as published will also be applicable for the yocto environment. Rgds.

• 6. Re: Edison IDE
                    intel_dan

Matha, so you were looking for an IDE you could install on the Edison? And Access via ssh? Or a web browser?  I am curious what exactly you where looking for.

• 7. Re: Edison IDE
                      Matha

Hello, I would rely on ssh. I am a little confused by the Arduino part in this scenario. The Blink example was relying on my desktop for the upload, I believe. I would like to use Edison for the upload to the Arduino. While it does not make a difference for the end result I was trying to understand what I gained by obtaining the Edison + Arduino board since I already have other Arduino boards lying around too. (Of course, eliminating a separate power supply is one intrinsic benefit at least for now until I starting revving servo motors). Rgds.

• 8. Re: Edison IDE
                        aceperry

Ok, now I'm confused/intrigued.  If you develope with the Arduino IDE, can you run the program on the Yocto distro on the Edison board?

• 9. Re: Edison IDE
                          intel_dan

aceperry "If you develop with the Arduino IDE, can you run the program on the Yocto distro on the Edison board?"

Yes, you can! That is what the Arduino IDE for Edison does (compiles an Arduino sketch into a linux binary that is then run on Yocto). The Arduino sketch is stored in /sketch/sketch.elf

• 10. Re: Edison IDE
                            aceperry

Dan, that's too cool, thanks.  I've never heard of anything like that and can't wait to try it out.  So back to my original question, if I want to use the wifi and bluetooth hardware on the board, are those intel libraries supposed to be used in the native c environment, or the arduino IDE, or both?  Inquring minds want to know. 

• 11. Re: Edison IDE
                              intel_dan

Matha, you mentioned wanting to use the Edison to "upload to the Arduino" in reality there is no Arduino, the Arudino sketches are compiled into linux binaries and then executed as /sketch/sketch.elf.  The main appeal of the Arduino Edison board is that is it compatible with a wide variety of existing shields etc.

• 12. Re: Edison IDE
                                Matha

Thx for the clarification and reassurance. Appreciate it. Now I can get back to development exercises as you have published. Rgds.