2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 5:53 PM by Intel_Alvarado

ifconfig doesn't work with SD image

Silenus

I am trying to ssh to the galileo via ethernet after giving it an ip address through the code:

ifconfig eth0 169.254.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up

but it spits out an error

ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

I have loaded the iot-kit SD image found here and have reflashed it multiple times. The above command works fine with no SD card in the galileo board. Any idea whats happening here?

As a side note when I try to use:

telnetd -l /bin/sh

it gives me an error

/bin/sh: telnetd: command not found

This also works without the SD card in the galileo.

• 1. Re: ifconfig doesn't work with SD image
          mhahn

"eth0" is old device naming. The IoT devkit image uses the current scheme (whereas the built-in Yocto is slightly older and uses old naming scheme). If you type "ifconfig" without parameters (or the newer command "ip a" - ifconfig only there for legacy reasons) you should find the "enp..." device which is the ethernet controller.

If you insist in having the naming to "eth0" you can modify the behavior - I think it's a udev rule you'd have to change. Check the web for that

On telnetd - well, the images are different. What do you need telnetd for? Maybe you could use "nc"?

• 2. Re: ifconfig doesn't work with SD image
            Intel_Alvarado

Hi Silenus,

Was the previous suggestion helpful? If it was you can mark it as correct answer or reply to this thread with your questions.

Regards

Sergio