4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 11:36 AM by Intel_Alvarado

Serial connection to galileo has zero response via putty

Silenus

Hey guys, I have bought a USB to RS232 adaptor and wired an RS232 to 3.5mm jack according to this thread. I am using a mac running parallels with windows 7 64 bit and have successfully installed the FTDI drivers which says the serial connection is on COM5. When I connect up my galileo (no SD card) and use putty to connect via serial using COM5 9600 baud, the console screen is completely blank, and no matter what I press on the keyboard or what baud rate I use, I can't get a blip out of the board. Does anyone know what could be going wrong here? Is using windows via parallels going to screw something up with the connection? I haven't got any kind of probe on me at the moment, so I cant see whether putty is sending anything through the connection at all.

• 1. Re: Serial connection to galileo has zero response via putty
          intel_dan

Silenus, the default speed of the Galileo serial console is 115200. Have you tried connecting at 115200 baud?

Also, I would double check that you don't have the RX and TX lines switched.

If you are worried about Parallels interfering with the functionality of the USB adaptor (my adaptor works fine in parallels), you an always try connecting from your Mac.

To connect to the Galileo's serial console from OSX, type the following command (without quotes)

'screen /dev/cu.usbxxxxxxxxxx 115200' (where /dev/cu.usbxxxxxxxxxx is the name of your serial device)

you can see a list of usb serial devices attached to you mac by running this command:  ls /dev/|grep cu.usb

• 2. Re: Serial connection to galileo has zero response via putty
            Silenus

Okay so i hooked up the connection to an oscilloscope finally. I have a usb to rs232 adapter plugged into a macbook pro (im guessing a usb3.0 port). I hooked up the oscilloscope to the output pins of the usb to rs232 adapter. When I use a program like coolterm and setup a serial connection through usbserial-A9MXH3J7 and start pressing random keys, I can see the TX light on the software light up, but absolutely nothing is coming through the actual pins of the rs232 side of the adapter. I installed the FTDI drivers for the adapter and it seemed to recognise it fine. I'm not sure what brand the adapter is, looks like a bit of a no-brand type.

• 3. Re: Serial connection to galileo has zero response via putty
              mhahn

typically the serial is set to 115200 - unless you modified it.

So try changing from 9600 to 115200

• 4. Re: Serial connection to galileo has zero response via putty
                Intel_Alvarado

Hi Silenus,

Were the previous suggestions helpful? If you still have questions please let us know so that we may continue to assist you.

Regards

Sergio