4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 5:04 PM by Intel_Alvarado

Windows on Galileo

RichardSenior

Hello all.

A friend at work got a Galileo from Microsoft. He didn't have time to do anything with it so he gave it to me, without an SD card.

I spent the afternoon reading all sorts of stories of woe, about how it was next to impossible to install windows on the Galileo.

I dug out an 8G micro sd, formatted it as fat32 and followed the directions at Windows Developer Program for IoT

By and large the instructions are simple.

The main hurdles were :

You have to sign up to get the windows image, and their website is appalling. Eventually after a bit closing down browsers etc. I got the download.

I'm running windows 7 on my workstation, so I had to follow the instructions given to modify the image writer, but that worked.

I wrote the image and it didn't seem to boot. It doesn't seem to boot unless the Galileo is connected by ethernet to your switch etc.

But once connected to my switch it booted fine.
      I used putty to telnet to it, and bingo.. I have a DOS Prompt. It's like 1995 all over again

What to do now? that's the question.. I think I'll try and install some NAS application or other, or perhaps VNC.

Anyone else got this far? What have you done and how?

• 1. Re: Windows on Galileo
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi RichardSenior,

Go ahead and start testing with your board. There are various applications you can do with your Galileo. If you make any progress post it on the communities so that other users may benefit from it. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Sergio

• 2. Re: Windows on Galileo
            RichardSenior

Thank you

I cannot effectively get answers from the microsoft IoD forums.

There doesn't seem to be an effective or active IoD community for windows on galileo.

I hope you can help, perhaps answer, or point me in the right direction? Please skip to "HELP HERE".

For people who haven't installed windows on the Galileo :

Once installed and running you can file://ip/c$ (or d$ etc for mounted USB sticks) administrator:admin

There is a tiny website running out of port 80, that shows a windows equivalent of TOP etc.

Telnet to the board (port 23) gives you a dos prompt. There appears to be no support for remote desktop etc.

I have a gender change USB cable running out of the host port into a powered hub. It is hapily mounting USB sticks etc. and asigning drive letters to them.

This is out of the box. to do this on the PI would require installation of XMBC and editing of the SMB file etc.

So this is a good case already for wintel galileo IMO.

Now the bad news :
            HELP HERE
            What I need essentially is support in administering headless windows installations.

I need to configure :

Network sharing such that the guest account can access the SMB shares without authentication

Environment variables (I tried adding lines to the end of \\192.168.....\c$\Windows\System32\Boot\autorun.cmd but it did nothing

Installation of applications (primarily java) (simply putting java in c:\ and running java says 'file not found' when it's clearly right there).

Installation of drivers, particularly for the mPCIe slot, which would seem to be the Galileo's killer feature.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Windows on Galileo
              RichardSenior

Addendum : It's actually configuring the workgroup that I need. Guest access to the mounted drives works fine.

• 4. Re: Windows on Galileo
                Intel_Alvarado

Hi RichardSenior,

Since you are asking specifically for the Windows on Galileo, I believe your post could found a more accurate response in the Windows on devices forum, here is the link https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/Windows-Developer-Program-for-IoT. I hope you find this helpful.

Regards

Sergio