3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2014 11:23 AM by Intel_Alvarado

USB ESD protection?

Slatye

The Edison module hardware guide shows ESD protection between the USB port and the TUSB1211 USB PHY. The TSB1211 datasheet also shows this, specifying the TI TPD4S012 as a suitable chip. However, the Edison mini breakout hardware guide does not appear to have any ESD protection in place. Is this because the Edison module already has the ESD protection IC onboard? Or did Intel just decide that it wasn't entirely necessary to have ESD protection?

Thanks

• 1. Re: USB ESD protection?
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi Slatye,

There is no ESD protection on the breakout board or the Arduino board, because they are not enclosed. The Edison module and the breakout board may receive an ESD on any part of the device. The only solution would be to put ESD diodes at every node of the device.

Regards

Sergio

• 2. Re: USB ESD protection?
            Slatye

Hi Sergio,

Thanks very much for the reply. That makes a lot of sense.

Is there any ESD protection at all on the Edison module? Most of the microcontrollers I use (STM32 and AVR) have ESD protection on every pin; it makes handling it pretty safe. If the Edison is completely unprotected then I'll definitely have to put a case on it.

• 3. Re: USB ESD protection?
              Intel_Alvarado

Hi Slatye,

Yes, there is no ESD protection on the Edison module. If you want to be protected against ESD I suggest you to try the method posted in the previous post.

Regards

Sergio