8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 12:54 PM by TimGTech

Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working

pKrish

Hi,

I bought a new Galileo GEn2 board, it was able to programme using Arduino installed on windows machine.

I followed the instruction mentioned in the Section 11 of "11. Booting your board from an SD card (mandatory for WiFi)" of the Getting Started Guide.

As per this section i copied all the files to SD Card.

Copied Folder "boot" and files "bzImage", "core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio", "grub.efi" and image-full-galileo-clanton.ext3 in SD Card.

After copying above files i inserted this card in to the Gen2 Slot, powered on the board.

Result:

No serial port print message on the Serial console on my PC.

Note: I have used the UART Rx, Tx and Gnd for Serial communicating with the P.C using USB-Serial Connector.

What is going wrong here? am i missing any steps?

I used attached files for bringing the Galileo Gen2 board with linux.

Timely help is appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Krishna

• 1. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
          mhahn

Note: I have used the UART Rx, Tx and Gnd for Serial communicating with the P.C using USB-Serial Connector.

You have crossed Rx, Tx, haven't you? (i.e. "Rx" on board goes to "Tx" of adapter and vice versa)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
            pKrish

Thanks for early reply.

Yes, it is cross connected, Rx(board)->Tx(connector), Tx(board) -> Rx(connector).

If i short Tx&Rx if i type something it is printing, so cable is working fine.

Any hardware setting that needs to be done?

Before copying files micro sd card is formatted for FAT32 on windows machine.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Krishna

• 3. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
              mhahn

Have you checked that your adapter is 3.3V UART (and not 5V)?

And do I get it right: you don't see any output not even grub bootmanager window, right?

• 4. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
                pKrish

My Serial-Usb adapater is 3.3v, it worked with the other board.

Yes, it is nothing is printing.

Iam able to communicate with the board using telnet.(After updating the firmware followed by setting the ip address using Adruino API).

To achieve this i followed the below link. But still nothing is printed on Serial Terminal.

https://communities.intel.com/message/208564#208564

Even after removing the SD card iam able to communicate with board, how can i ensure that board always runs from the SD Card?

Iam using serial cable from svb international.(Below Link give brief about the Serial-USB product)

svb international

• 5. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
                  TimGTech

I have a similar and maybe the same issue.  Any help is appreciated.  I can power up my Gen2 board and connect the micro usb cable to it and it shows up as COM6.  I can upload a sketch and it works.  But booting from the SD card it won't connect via USB.  I have tried several SD cards and reformatted them and copied the SD Linux to them.  No luck....

• 6. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
                    mhahn

pKrish wrote:

My Serial-Usb adapater is 3.3v, it worked with the other board.

Yes, it is nothing is printing.

Iam using serial cable from svb international.(Below Link give brief about the Serial-USB product)

svb international

Sorry, can't comment on this. Maybe something wrong with the adapter? I think in other threads there you can find recommended cables

Even after removing the SD card iam able to communicate with board, how can i ensure that board always runs from the SD Card?

With firmware 1.0 + it would boot automatically from SD card if available (and correctly set up)

• 7. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
                      mhahn

how do you mean "won't connect via USB"? What kind of connection are you looking for? what doesn't work?

• 8. Re: Galileo Gen2 Board Linux boot not working
                        TimGTech

When I power up the board (without SD card) I plug in the micro-usb cable to the computer and it shows up in Device Manager as a COM port (COM6).  I can upload a sketch ok and it works.

When booting from the SD card, I wait about a minute to give it time to boot up.  When i plug in the micro-usb cable cable to the computer nothing happens.  I never get the COM port in the Device Manager.  So I can't upload a sketch.

Ultimately, I am trying to upload a sketch after booting from the SD card to see what the dynamic IP is that it assigned to the LAN.  That way I can telnet to the board and change the wireless configuration.

Also, I now have one of the Centrino 135-N wifi cards now.   I am a newbie at this so maybe I am going about it the wrong way?

On a positive note, I have the Edison Arduino board and was able to get the wifi connected with a static IP thanks to some help from the community.  Yeah!!!