1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 11:05 AM by allan_intel

NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)

user10410

Hi,

I have bought a NUC D54250WYKH (The box says it is version# H26246-102).

I bought memory from crucial, which they guarantee will be compatible for this NUC:

CT5042585 BLS2C8G3N18AES4CEU.16FER 16GB Upgrade for an intel D54250WYK System (Here the descitpion of the memory: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/d54250wyk/CT5042585 )

I am also using an Apple MiniDP-VGA adapter that I typically use with my Macbook air, but I guess this doesn't work with the NUC. I am buying a miniHDMI to HDMI cable.

(Correction: The MiniDP-VGA Adapter works as well)

Anyway, despite the MiniDP adapter,  my NUC doesn't boot and the blue LED blinks 3 times and pauses, which suggests this is a memory issue, according to the info found in this community.

Could you check if the memory described at crucial conforms with the requirements of the NUC. I do not see a problem but I might be overlooking something,

Also, as a word of advice, fix the problem you have with your HTTPS (SSL) Certificates in your web sites, it does not transmit the confidence for a user to go to the site if the browser cautions you that somebody might be messing with your browser.

Thanks in advance for the help,

P.S. See the reply to myself, seems like the memory modules are not the problem, but the Memory sockets, perhaps?

Message was edited by: V A

• 1. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting
          user10410

There has been a new discovery.

I started to play with the memory kit I received, and I found the following:

1) NUC BOOTS regardless of which one of the 2 memory SODIMMs I install

This is what the BIOS shows, however the diagrams in the manuals show the opposite configuration of DIMMs.

DIMM1 - Channel A Slot 0  (NOT Installed)

DIMM2 - Channel B Slot 0 (8GB)

2) NUC NEVER BOOTS, regardless of the memory SODIMM I install. (Blue LED flashes 3 times and then pauses, and blinks again, and pauses....)

This is what the BIOS shows, however the diagrams in the manuals show the opposite configuration of DIMMs.

DIMM1 - Channel A Slot 0 (8GB)

DIMM2 - Channel B Slot 0 (Not installed)

3) NUC NEVER BOOTS. (Blue LED flashes 3 times and then pauses, and blinks again, and pauses....)

DIMM1 - Channel A Slot 0 (8GB)

DIMM2 - Channel B Slot 0 (8GB)

The memory SODIMMS seem to be OK, since they both work in the upper memory slot and they are part of a 16gb kit.

Does this mean my NUC is broken?

The BIOS I have installed is WYLPT10H.86A.0021.2013.1.017.1606.

I will appreciate some help from Intel support.

Thanks in advance,

V A

• 2. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
            dougho

I am not from Intel support, but I and others have had similar experience.  It often means the memory "density" is not good enough for Intel NUC (too many chips on each side of the SO-DIMM).  Maybe it also means that even though the memory can work at slower desired speed of the NUC, the NUC does not like seeing the SPD options of higher speed capability.

• 3. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
              user10410

Hi Dougho,

Thanks for your reply. Based on what you say, it looks like this memory is not good enough for the NUC (even when crucial guaranteed it to work with it).  Do you know of other crucial 16GB memory kit that could work with the NUC D54250?  I know there is one in the list of supported memories, but I didn't find it in Europe.

@Intel: Could somebody from Intel confirm the findings that dough has kindly reported, and what are my alternatives? 

Crucial has told me this might be a slot problem.

Thanks,

Victor

• 4. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                user10410

I have contacted Crucial and described the problem, after an online analysis with them, and comparing with the memory suggested by Intel in the website,  they told me the memory is compatible with the NUC D54250WYKH and since any of the memory modules works only in one specific slot, then it must be a slot hardware issue.

Would Intel agree and should I have the NUC returned?

Thanks,

Victor

• 5. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                  dougho

I know you want to trust Crucial and you want Intel to respond, but multiple users experience is that you are describing NUC memory compatibility issue, either your SO-DIMM is not using Intel's specified 4GBit chip density (8 chips per side for 8GB module) and/or your SO-DIMM includes higher speed capability than the 1600M allowed by Intel.  Below are a review article mentioning it, and a couple threads here (one saying there would be no BIOS fix)

https://communities.intel.com/message/224509#224509

https://communities.intel.com/message/249040#249040

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-kit-d54250wyk-overclocking_124444

• 6. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                    user10410

Thanks Dougho,

After I wrote the previous post, Crucial contacted me back and mentioned the SO-DIMM might not be adequate due to the higher speed it supports 1866MHz, and NUC not supporting dual channel for this speed. So they will replace the memory with one that support 1600MHz, i.e. this one: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/d54250wyk/CT5042590

By the way, I am not from Crucial, but the support those guys gave me was very good, and the fact they guaranteed compatibility if one uses their web tools to select the components is also great, that is why they are going to send me another kit. Just hope this time it is the right one :-)

Thanks a lot,

Victor

• 7. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                      user10410

And just to backup the info Dougho kindly has described and for future reference of NUC users, I am pasting a page of the NUC D54250WYKH Technical Specifications ( http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23089/eng/D54250WYB_D34010WYB_TechProdSpec06.pdf ) .

For 8GB modules the chip density required is 4Gbit, i.e. 8 chips in one side of a double sided SO-DIMM, and the speed must be 1333/1600Mhz. Pretty tight requirements, but it is what it is. Sometimes painful for people having to buy memory again. (This info was already provided by dougho in one of the links of his previous post).

intel_memory_for_NUC.png

Regards,

Victor

P.S. The part I am disappointed, is that no Intel person showed up in this thread.

• 8. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                        allan_intel

Thanks for joining the NUC community.

If you are able to access BIOS this means you could try to update it to the latest version 0028.

I see you are currently using BIOS 0021. Please go to the latest here: File name: WY0028.BIO

Instructions for BIOS update here:

Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — BIOS Recovery Update Instructions

Allan.

• 9. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                          user10410

Thanks Allan. Good to see somebody from Intel in this thread.

I did an update of the BIOS as part of my attempts to make the memory work. It didn't help.

I also found this entry that Dougho pointed ( https://communities.intel.com/message/224509#224509 ) and it is said that this kind of speed/density problems won't be addressed by a BIOS fix, according to Intel's engineering team it requires a change in the architecture of the board.

Fortunately the guys from Crucial will send me a replacement memory that supports 1600Mhz and has 16 4Gbit memory chips, 8 on each side. In theory these memory modules fulfill all the Intel's requirements for the NUC , but I'll tell you when I receive them and install them.

Regards,

Victor

• 10. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                            dougho

Hopefully the replacement memory also meets the JEDEC 1.35v spec (programmed in SPD), which is often the first spec that causes trouble (the initial NUCs before the Haswell/Bay Trail models did not require 1.35v memory).  Density is typically the second problem spec, and "too high" speed could be the last straw (I put "too high" in quotes because it never seemed to be a problem before these latest NUC - memory standards allowed memory to work fine at slower speeds in properly designed systems).

• 11. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                              allan_intel

Thanks for the update.

Allan.

• 12. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                                user10410

Hi,

For the record:

* The memory replacement from Crucial worked in my NUC D54250WYKH, but not without a little thrill. I had to play with the order of the modules in the slots, so they could both be recognized.

The memory modules are these: CT5042590 BLS2C8G3N169ES4CEU.16FER  http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/d54250wyk/CT5042590

* I can also report that the 2.5 " SSD Crucial MX100 512GB works fine with this NUC.  http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/ssd/ct512mx100ssd1

* A miniHDMI to HDMI cable connected to an LG monitor works fine. The apple MiniDP-VGA adapter (used in a macbookair) works well too.

In summary I have a NUC with 16GB of memory and a 512GB 2.5" SSD. Running Ubuntu Server 14.04.2 LTS

Thanks to the NUC community for the help, and specially to dougho for his guidance.

I hope this can help other users.

Cheers,

Victor

• 13. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                                  V2

You said you had to play with the order of the modules? How did you do that - was it through the BIOS?

• 14. Re: NUC D54250WYKH not booting (Memory Socket problem?)
                                    dougho

I am not the guy who mentioned order of modules, but the order of the modules in slots would be the hardware - which module is in the upper slot and which is in the lower slot.  I have not had personal experience with that (difference with order when two modules were in both slots).  My personal experience was that some modules would work on their own (single module not pair) only in one of the slots (I think it was the upper slot) - and that was a sign that the module wasn't truly 100% compatible (typically it did not meet the NUC's "density" spec).

1 2 Previous Next