1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2014 4:08 PM by CoolHandPat

BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board

aadolfson

Hello all,

I have a DH61BE that on which I am trying to update the BIOS.  I have been able to update my 0020 to 0048 using Windows update file. According to literature, I need to use the .bio file using BIOS recovery to change the Intel Management Engine Firmware from 7.x to 8.x before I can move higher than 0048.  I have attempted this several times without luck.  Here are the steps I follow:

1. Download the 0048 .bio file to another computer
      2. I have copied the .bio file to a CD and a USB drive root directory, with no other files on media
      3. Place cd or USB in to target machine (I have tried both front USB and main board USB ports)
      4. Shut down and unplug
      5. Pull the BIOS jumper
      6. Power up
      7. Let set until system processes (3 to 5 minutes)

This is where I don't get results; I power up, the fans spin, some little lights turn on, but the screen remains asleep and even after 10 minutes nothing else happens.  If I shut down and replace the BIOS jumper the machine boots up and the IME firmware remains a 7.x version.  The machine works fine and windows starts fine, but I would like to get higher than the 0048 version.

I have also removed the CMOS battery for 40 minutes and repeated above.

Any thoughts about this, or tricks that might help?

I might try burning the CD in Live File and a second in Mastered to see if this makes a diff.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions.  Feel free to laugh if I am missing something obvious or doing something stupid! :>)

Andy

• 1. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
          sylvia_intel

Hello Andy, welcome to the Intel communities and thanks a lot for posting your inquire.

I would like to inform you that this specific motherboard has 21 BIOS versions available on the download center.

From BIOS version 20 to version 48 are 10 files, so my recommendation will be to install at least 2 or 3 BIOS version before installing version 48.

It is important to know that going straight to the latest version shouldn't be a problem, technically speaking. However based on experience, there is always chance.

In your case, I think that going straight to BIOS version 48 is not the best for your system and that is the reason why it is not letting you do it.

I would recommend checking the BIOS Update Release Notes on this URL. You will be able to see the fixes and features included on each version.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23393/eng/BE_0120_ReleaseNotes.pdf

These are some important versions you could flash on your system.

The latest BIOS version for this motherboard is version 0120. Please try to update the BIOS until version 48, and if the system is working as expected it won’t be necessary to continue updating the BIOS.

Regards,

• 2. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
            aadolfson

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for your input.  I did move from 0020 to 0041, and I might have updated to one of the others along the way.  The system is working fine, but there are some performance issues that might have something to do with the bios.  They seem to be better going from 0020 to 0048, but not completely fixed.  Of course they might not be bios related.  I am mainly perplexed as to why I cannot get the BIOS Recovery procedure to work.  It would be nice to go from 0048 with firmware version 7.x to 8.x.  I suspect this might have something to do with my issues, the computer ones at least! :>)

• 3. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
              sylvia_intel

Andy, you may need to continue installing the other BIOS versions available in order to get better performance on your system, but before doing that please let me know the following:

• Which is the current version?
              • Are you able to jump from version 41 to 48 using the F7 method or the recovery method?
              • Would you like to continue updating the BIOS to the latest version available?

Regards,

• 4. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                aadolfson

So I got impatient and tried to update to the next level, from 0048 to 0099, using the Windows based app and it seemed to go fine until it rebooted, where it froze on the BIOS flash screen, the one with the Intel logo and options for F2, F7, and F10.  Pressing the F2, 7 or 10 did nothing.  A couple attempts to reboot had same results.  I shut down the machine, disconnected the AC power supply, and moved the BIOS jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 to go into BIOS maintenance mode.  Turned it back on and went into Maintenance Mode fine.  I was able to maneuver around and chek the BIOS version (now 0099) but when I looked at the firmware it was listed as 0.0; so there appears to be an issue there now - not a big suprise.  I tried to reset to defaults by pressing F9, but there was no reaction from the machine.  I would think it would ask for confirmation.  I shut it all down, moved the BIOS jumper back to 1-2 and started it back up.  It went to the version 0099 flash screen and froze, just like earlier in this post.

When I have time late today (PST) or tomorrow, I will try to BIOS recovery back to 0048 or 0020 (my original) to see if it will take.  Between now and then I will do some more reading on the firmware issue and see if you have a chance to reply.

For your questions:

my current version is 0099, but the last functioning version was 0048 with Firmware 7.x

I think I used the Windows method to go from 0041 to 0048 - when I have tried the recovery method I am not getting anywhere.  As listed above I turn on the machine, it powers up, but nothing on the screen.

I still hope to update all the way to 0120, but at this point I will be happy to get back to 0048, and then to 0048 with firmware 8.x

Thank you for your interest and help!

Andy

• 5. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                  sylvia_intel

Please do the following Andy.

• 6. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                    CoolHandPat

Hi Andy

Did you ever resolve your issue?

Today, I incurred the exact issue as you. Updated to 48. Couldn't get the BIOS Recovery to 48 working. So updated to 99. It got updated. Then the brown stuff hit the fan. Like you the firmware it was listed as 0.0. It sits and hangs. I've tried going back to 48 and 99. If I try to update to 109 or 120, the update fails:

Flashing Image for Intel(R) Management Engine firmware ... FW Update Sample Application ERROR FwUpdateFullBuffer

[failed!]

Flash update failed!

Technical information: (0x8000000000000015, 1560)

Regards

Pat Harms

• 7. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                      CoolHandPat

Hi Sylvia

Like Andy I've been unable to roll back from 99 to 48. According to the Intel doc, 99 can't be rolled back.

Any more suggestions welcome. I suspect I have a brick.

Regards

Pat Harms

• 8. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                        sylvia_intel

Hello  Pat, I’m sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced with your system.

please follow these steps:

• Power off the board
                        • Remove the battery
                        • Disconnect from AC power for 20-30 minutes
                        • Do a BIOS recovery from usb with BIOS version 109 Intel® Download Center

This URL will show you how to perform this procedure —Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS Update      

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                          CoolHandPat

Hi Sylvia

Excellent it worked. I thought I had tried it before, but did it again, and it worked.

Thanks

Regards

Pat

• 10. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                            sylvia_intel

I'm glad to know it worked.

• 11. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                              mejnour

Hello Sylvia,

It look like I have a similar problem been not able to update Intel ME v7 to v8.

usb flash drive not reconize during re-booting process of a BIOS recovery

I am stuck at version BIOS#48 not able to do the recovery flash procedure to upgrade Intel ME.

I did this procedure below without success.

• Power off the board
                              • Remove the battery
                              • Do a BIOS recovery from usb with BIOS version 48 Intel® Download Center

Reading this thread, are you suggesting doing the same recovery procedure with BIOS#109?

thanks

• 12. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                                CoolHandPat

Yes, you need to do the BIOS Recoveryto 109 i.e. from Sylvia's response:

• Power off the board
                                • Remove the battery
                                • Do a BIOS recovery from usb with BIOS version 109 Intel® Download Center

Also make sure to wait at least 30 minutes with the CMOS battery out and disconnected from the AC power.

• 13. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                                  mejnour

Hi pat ty for answers! Doing this will only upgrade intel ME? Not the BIOS itself? I mean I don't want to run into problem by upgrading prematurely the BIOS itself! I guess after upgrading the intel ME software can I just follow the normal procedure by upgrading with the BIOS#99? Thanks

• 14. Re: BIOS updating problem - DH61BE board
                                    CoolHandPat

It does both ME and the BIOS. There is no point in updating just the ME. I think they're tightly coupled together.

I was also in the same predicament as Andy, in that I had got impatient and tried to go to 99. And that left me with a brick.

1 2 Previous Next