5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 6:55 AM by allan_intel

recover the data on the RAID 10 volume

XeonE52697V2

Hi Experts,

I have a RAID 10 volume built on the Intel ICH10R. However, currently the RAID controller seems cannot recognize the RAID volume. It displays not defined and all the four disks are marked as offline member. Each disk can be detected in both BIOS and the RAID configuration interface (press ctrl+I).

Even if I attach the four disks to another Intel chipset X58, it has the same problem.

Before the issue happens, I only change the SATA port for the disks because one SATA data cable seems has some issue. I shutdown the computer and replace one SATA cable, insert it into a different SATA port. All the 6 SATA ports are native ICH10R ports. After I start the machine again, the issue happens.

How can I recover the data on the RAID 10 volume? Thank you for the help in advance.

Bob

• 1. Re: recover the data on the RAID 10 volume
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the Chipset community.

At this stage, if the drives are set as offline members, and the volume is not bootable, the RAID structure and data are no longer available.

You will need to recreate RAID 10 structure from scratch.

Allan.

• 2. Re: recover the data on the RAID 10 volume
            XeonE52697V2

Thank you Allan, I have attach a new disk to the same motherboard and install a new OS on it. The original four disks in RAID 10 volume  are displayed as offline in Intel RST manager and I only have the option clean metadata.When I search the disk event in the help of IRST manager application, it shows the disk offline can be solved by unlock the disk. Shall I still click clean metaata or how to unlock all the four disks that displays as offline?

thanks!

• 3. Re: recover the data on the RAID 10 volume
              allan_intel

If you clean meta data you will erase disk information. As far as I understand, offline members are not recoverable. You need to recreate array.

Allan.

• 4. Re: recover the data on the RAID 10 volume
                XeonE52697V2

Hi Allan,

Do you know what action may trigger the RAID controller to mark all the disk as offline? I only change the SATA data cable to different SATA port on the same motherboard on the same Intel ICH10R RAID controller before the issue happens, why it causes the disk to be offline? I do not receive same issue on any other intel motherboard such as X58, Z77, X79, C602, etc.

Thanks.

Bob

• 5. Re: recover the data on the RAID 10 volume
                  allan_intel

Below you will find information about RAID 10 going offline.

A RAID 10 can fail due to bad sectors on any of the disks in the array. This can force the array to go offline.

In many cases, the partition table can become corrupt or missing causing an entire partition to disappear or become unusable.

For many reasons, the array can experience a controller failure. This can cause the array to go offline. It could also cause the logical volume to disappear.

Firmware problems can occur in the RAID controller or the member disk drives.

For various reasons, a RAID 10 array can experience a rebuild failure. This may keep member disks offline and render the array unusable.

Allan.