8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 9:27 AM by sylvia_intel

How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe

N0BOX

I have the exact same problem as was discussed in this thread: ICH10R - RAID 5 - Problem replacing failed drive

However, the array that is in "rebuild" mode is my Windows 7 boot volume, so I cannot access Intel's RSTe application.

My system:

Intel Core i7-3930K

Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard

32GB (4 x 8GB) Mushkin DDR3-1866MHz

3 x 1TB WD RE4 7200rpm drives

I had one drive go bad, then rebuilt the array.  It stayed ok for a week or so, then dropped out of the array again.  I again attempted to rebuild the array, but the rebuild process was running overnight (which was all that was required the first time) and seemed to be stuck between 10 and 20 percent, so I shut the computer down (the temperature in my room was getting uncomfortable from leaving the computer on so long).  Anyway, when I booted the computer again, the drive still showed as bad, so I filled out an RMA with WD, grabbed the drive from my PC, and sent it in to be repaired/replaced.

Now that I have the replacement drive, I'm trying to boot into Windows, expecting the array to simply show as "Degraded", but it is marked as "Failed".  There is no option to mark anything as a spare in the boot options, only the options to create an array, delete an array, or mark drives as non-RAID.

Now, my guess is that some flag/bit is set in the raid configuration that marks the array as being in the process of a rebuild, and that if someone was brave enough, that bit/byte/sector could be unset somehow.  I would be comfortable attempting to do this, as I am fairly comfortable with Linux and the tools that can be used to do low-level writes to a drive.  I have Ubuntu set up on a solid state drive, which is what I've been using while waiting on my drive to come back from RMA.  I just need to know if an Intel engineer who is familiar with this motherboard RAID system could tell me what bits to twiddle to "turn off" the rebuild process.

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
          sylvia_intel

Hello Matt, It is important to mention that is possible to restore a RAID 1 by setting the disks to non raid and no information will be lost; however, I regret to say that on RAID 5 there is no way to restore the data if the structure fails.

Your RAID is giving you the status as “Failed”. That means that there is no structure available on it, so it will be necessary to create the array from scratch.

I would also recommend you contacting the computer manufacturer for them to provide any other option or tool from their side to save the information.

• 2. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
            N0BOX

Wait, so when you click the "Mark drive as normal" link next to a failed drive in the Intel RSTe application, all of the array information is destroyed and it is immediately impossible to recover from the problem without leaving the failed drive in until the rebuild process completes?  So having a drive that could just as well be blank and impossible to read or write information from/to in place for the rebuild process somehow makes it possible for the rebuild process to magically divine the information that used to be stored on the drives?  Why shouldn't any blank drive of the same size be ok?  What if I just put in a drive that has the same model and serial number (somehow)?

I have two of the original three drives in my computer in perfectly-working condition, which is all that you should need to rebuild a RAID5 array.  If I had known that attempting to recover a failed drive would cause the Intel RSTe program to destroy my array configuration, I would have passed on the idea.  That kind of option shouldn't even be allowed to exist!  Why wouldn't marking a drive as normal, starting the rebuild process, simply consist of reading the stripes from the two good drives and attempting to reassemble the real or parity information on the third drive?   Why would anything have to be destroyed on the two good drives?

• 3. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
              sylvia_intel

Matt, if the RAID status appears as Failed, most likely it could not be recovered.

If the system is booting to the operating system using the other 2 hard drives, then the array is OK.

But in the other hand if the array appears as Failed in the RAID BIOS, means that the RAID structure/array has a problem  and unfortunately there is no way to know if the rebuilt is going to work as expected.  What we recommend in these cases is back up all the data.

Once you backed up all data, you can connect the new HDD and let the rebuild begins.

Usually, the storage controller initiates the rebuilt by itself. If it does not start, it will be necessary to go to Windows and choose rebuilt from the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

Would you please access the RAID BIOS in Ctrl+I and send me a picture of the screen?

• 4. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
                N0BOX

Booting my computer today, resigned to the idea of wiping and building a new RAID5 and installing windows from scratch, I noticed that my array now appears as "Rebuilding".

Unfortunately, Windows 7 still fails to boot.  A screen comes up just after the "Windows is starting" screen that gives me 30 seconds to choose between "Start Windows normally" or "Launch startup repair".  "Start Windows normally" brings up a "Windows is loading files" progress bar along the bottom of the screen, then goes black and my computer proceeds to boot Ubuntu from my SSD.  Choosing to launch the startup repair option gives me the same progress bar, then goes directly back to the same two options... "Start Windows normally" or "Launch startup repair".

So now I'm lost once again, and it appears to be less of an Intel issue and more of a Windows issue... though I would imagine that the cause of the problem is the RAID controller putting some information somewhere and losing track of it.  When I boot into the Windows 7 Ultimate install disk and choose to "Repair your computer", I can load the IAStorA RAID drivers (I think?) and it will show me my C: drive, but will not show me that there is a Windows operating system on the drive that I can repair.  I can, however, browse the whole drive, including loading drivers from the C:Windows/System32/DriverStor directory.

• 5. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
                  sylvia_intel

Nobox, if the operating system was installed into the RAID 5, this is a common behavior when a system file is missing or corrupted.

It will be necessary to set the SATA mode on RAID before trying to access Windows.

So please go to BIOS and make the SATA mode is on RAID before repairing the array.

Could you also access the RAID BIOS and send me a picture of the array please?

• 6. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
                    N0BOX

The SATA mode in my UEFI BIOS was already set to RAID (as it has been since I started using the Intel motherboard RAID).  Since I couldn't get Windows 7 to boot from the array, I decided that I would either have to reinstall/in-place upgrade Windows 7 or give up on Windows and just use Linux (Ubuntu) from now on.  It's just not worth the time to deal with trying to save or completely reinstall Windows 7, so I decided that it would be better to give up on the motherboard RAID and to just use Linux software RAID, which supposedly has better performance anyway.

So I've deleted the array, changed the SATA mode to AHCI, and built a RAID5 array using Linux's mdadm tool.  I'll just run Windows 7 in a virtual machine (and only for things like iTunes and the Adobe and AutoDesk applications that don't yet have equals in the open source world) rather than the other way around.

• 7. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
                      N0BOX

BTW, I thought I would mention that I was able to bring the array up when I was in Ubuntu.  I mounted the array volume and was able to access all the files I had saved on the array (I played a decent selection of music I had saved to the array), so it doesn't seem that there was any corruption... at least not to what I sampled of my music collection.

I had everything of any importance backed up to an external hard drive (music, movies, my graphics files, etc).

• 8. Re: How can I manually unmark my RAID5 array as "rebuilding"? Intel X79/Asus P9X79 Deluxe
                        sylvia_intel

I am glad that at least you were able to access all files from array.