1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 5:53 AM by vamkri

BSP Building Error

DiegoV_Intel

Hi,

I've been building the standard Edison Image but I got an error on task 535.

| Error copying file "/home/inteldell/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/build/libwebsockets-test-server.key.pem" to "/home/inteldell/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/build/bin/../share/libwebsockets-test-server".
      | make[2]: *** [bin/libwebsockets-test-server] Error 1
      | make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/inteldell/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/build'
      | make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/test-server.dir/all] Error 2
      | make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/inteldell/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/build'
      | make: *** [all] Error 2
      | ERROR: oe_runmake failed
      | WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
      | ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/inteldell/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/temp/log.do_compile.22166)
      ERROR: Task 535 (/home/inteldell/edison-src/device-software/meta-edison-distro/recipes-connectivity/libwebsockets/libwebsockets_1.23.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
      NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1855 tasks of which 18 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.
      Waiting for 0 running tasks to finish:

Summary: 1 task failed:
        /home/inteldell/edison-src/device-software/meta-edison-distro/recipes-connectivity/libwebsockets/libwebsockets_1.23.bb, do_compile
      Summary: There were 26 WARNING messages shown.
      Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
      inteldell@inteldell-Studio-1569:~/edison-src/build$

Is someone familiar with this error? I attached a txt document with a complete log if needed to see more details.

Thanks

• 1. Re: BSP Building Error
          daveland

Hi,  I had a similar issue... did you resolve it?

dave

• 2. Re: BSP Building Error
            DiegoV_Intel

Hi daveland,

Unfortunately, I don't a solution yet. Do you have the same issue or a similar one?

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Diego.

• 3. Re: BSP Building Error
              daveland

I made some progress by deleting the tmp dir under the edison-src/build.

This forces a rebuild of everything.   It seemed to get further the second time. I decided to delete the entire thing and try again.  The build is running now but will take most of the day.... I will post my sucess or failure here

dave

• 4. Re: BSP Building Error
                daveland

This file is missing in the build...

| -- Installing: /home/dave/edison/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/image/usr/share/libwebsockets-test-server/test.html

| CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:189 (FILE):

|   file INSTALL cannot find

|   "/home/dave/edison/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/build/libwebsockets-test-server.key.pem".

|

| make: *** [install] Error 1

| ERROR: oe_runmake failed

| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

| ERROR: Function failed: do_install (log file is located at /home/dave/edison/edison-src/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/temp/log.do_install.6160)

ERROR: Task 530 (/home/dave/edison/edison-src/device-software/meta-edison-distro/recipes-connectivity/libwebsockets/libwebsockets_1.23.bb, do_install) failed with exit code '1'

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1857 tasks of which 1847 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Waiting for 0 running tasks to finish:

Summary: 1 task failed:

/home/dave/edison/edison-src/device-software/meta-edison-distro/recipes-connectivity/libwebsockets/libwebsockets_1.23.bb, do_install

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

• 5. Re: BSP Building Error
                  daveland

ok I solved it but with a sledgehammer

I built a new VM with 64 bit ubuntu 14.04LTS

added packages below

$ sudo apt-get install sed wget cvs subversion git-core coreutils \

unzip texi2html texinfo libsdl1.2-dev docbook-utils gawk \

python-pysqlite2 diffstat help2man make gcc build-essential \

g++ desktop-file-utils chrpath libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev \

mercurial autoconf automake groff libtool xterm

then followed these instructions... 8 hours later it is done.

Re: Sharing information about compiling Edison OS with Yocto.

I'm not sure why my older 12.04 LTS 32 bit ubuntu image had the errors.. 

Perhaps it was due to other packages I installed a year ago on that VM.

I still have not flashed the image yet.

• 6. Re: BSP Building Error
                    rubidium

Interesting.  I had errors similar to yours, deleted everything and started over a few times, and got different errors along the way each time.  Finally I got through the entire process unscathed. I did the builds with Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64-bit throughout - and a fresh install at that, so my OS was in a fairly "clean" state. As a scientist I hate to say it, but I was tempted to knock on wood and rub a rabbit's foot on my next attempt if I didn't finally get lucky.

Now one problem I *may* have had was to allow too many threads to run on what is a 24-core machine.  Throughout my trials I reigned that in (in ./build/local.conf) to what is recommended in Intel documentation, yet still continued to get fatal errors at seemingly random points that stopped the builds - until my last attempt when the build "magically" completed.

Jim

• 7. Re: BSP Building Error
                      daveland

As an engineer I always have a good supply of rabbit's feet.

I was not able to get the virtualbox VM to Nativity connect to linux dfu-util.

So I moved the files to windows and got it transferred over there.  Then flashed it and  snap!  I have a working image!

now to make a slight mod to the build, rebuild  and see if it breaks!!

baby steps and rabbit's feet

dave

• 8. Re: BSP Building Error
                        daveland

Ok I finally got it all figured out....  I added the bash shell to my yocto build,  rebuilt it.  and moved it to the edison and looked in /bin/bash and it is there!

I will post my progress once I get everything loaded up.

• 9. Re: BSP Building Error
                          njonty

I got stuck on the same problem. How did you add bash shell in your yocto build ? Did it work for you ?

thanks

Vikram

• 10. Re: BSP Building Error
                            daveland

getting bash on Edison.....OK lets see if I remember it all..

All of my build problems were solved by building using a FRESH 64 bit Ubuntu VM. 

I started with a Fresh 64 bit  VM of Ubuntu 14.04 ( Virtualbox Running under windows, highly recomended.. except for USB issues mentioned below)

added these packages ( not sure if all are needed... but hey it worked)

$ sudo apt-get install sed wget cvs subversion git-core coreutils \

unzip texi2html texinfo libsdl1.2-dev docbook-utils gawk \

python-pysqlite2 diffstat help2man make gcc build-essential \

g++ desktop-file-utils chrpath libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev \

mercurial autoconf automake groff libtool xterm

I used the edison linux source  for the build from this page

Edison - Software Downloads

This gets the file

edison-src-weekly-68.tgz

Follow the instructions  below to get a clean build of the unmodified Yocto image, then flash it and test it on the Edison to be sure it boots

Re: Sharing information about compiling Edison OS with Yocto.

Please note that the page refers to /poly and that should be /poky

don't forget to always do the line below in a new shell to get the environment set before you run bitbake

cd ~/edison/edison-src/poky

source poky/oe-init-build-env

cd ~/edison/edison-src/build

bitbake edison-image

I found that I had to rerun bitbake several times if my slow internet conneciton timed out on a file download

It seems that bitbake does not really try that hard if a site is down or busy..

This takes 6hrs on my "quad core" non intel machine.  It might be faster on genuine Intel

cd ~/edison/edison-src/device-software/utils/flash

./postBuild.sh

./flashall.sh --keep-data

Note: when running the flashall script, you can pass it the --keep-data option to preserve your /home flash partition

I Keep all my personal programs and data in /home/root  and with the --keep-data option , it is not erased when a new image is loaded

( use df -k to make sure that the image does not use up too much space on /dev/root)  I think this is 360Meg for my image with bash  added

root@Edison1:~/clojure/clojure-1.6.0# df -k

Filesystem          1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/root              475080    360664    77720  82% /

devtmpfs                491708        0    491708  0% /dev

Once that image works,  now we need to add the bash shell to the local.conf and re-run bitbake

go to ~/edison-src/build/conf/

edit the file local.conf

add the Bold line below to the  end of the local.conf file

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " bash"

Rebuild...  this will only take 10 minutes or so

cd ~/edison/edison-src/poky

source poky/oe-init-build-env

cd ~/edison/edison-src/build

bitbake edison-image

It should load the files from  for bash and then build it and then build a new image

cd ~/edison/edison-src/device-software/utils/flash

./postBuild.sh

./flashall.sh --keep-data

Note:  I cannot get USB to work from within a VM.  So the ./flashall.sh will not work for me.

I move the toflash directory to a shared folder in the host windows File sysytem and the run flashall.bat from a

DOS shell

/bin/bash

With bash and Java 7-067 downloaded  I was able to get clojure and Leiningen to run on Edison!!

Now to try Functional Programming in the small.

Dave

• 11. Re: BSP Building Error
                              IntelAnonymous

This problem is not solved yet!

First of all a link to the current edison-src-file is missing in the Support Package User Guide on Page 7 (File edison-bsp_ug_331188-001.pdf). After using google I downloaded the file

edison-src-weekly-68.tgz from the Intel® Download Center.

Nevertheless asdaveland wrote the following file is simply missing when compiling the image: libwebsockets-test-server.key.pem.

The whole libwebsockets compiles fine and all header files and libraries are installed. However, at the end of the installation process of libwebsockets the following error message breaks the bitbake process.

yocto 2.png

Therefore libwebsockets fails while performing the task "do_install". The error log says:

yocto_error.png

As some users suggested I deleted my build/tmp-folder and started bitbake again, however the problem still persists. It seems to me that this file is simply missing or has to be generated somehow?

• 12. Re: BSP Building Error
                                IntelAnonymous

Amendment:

If I download the latest sources of libwebsockets (git clone git://git.libwebsockets.org/libwebsockets) everything compiles fine and the libwebsockets-test-server.pem-File is generated within the make process Why not during the bitbake process?

// Edit.

I simply created the missing file without content so that the bitbake process can continue. However, I am still looking for a solution because my way is just a workaround

• 13. Re: BSP Building Error
                                  AlexT_Intel

I had absolutely no problem building the image on Ubuntu 12.04.04, which I think is what is officially tested and supported in addition to Debian Wheezy as the build host.

So either this is a glitch with some build tool on 14.04 being "too new" and not working as expected, or maybe you're missing some prerequisite? You have installed all the prerequisite packages listed in the BSP Build Guide, right?

• 14. Re: BSP Building Error
                                    IntelAnonymous

I checked this now twice: I installed all prequisite packages as written in die Edison Board Support Package User Guide on Page 7.

My operating system is Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (trusty).

I deleted the whole build folder and kept the downloads. After that I tried to build the image from scratch. Again, the same error occured. I do not know what might be wrong?

// Edit (with workaround):

Okay it seems that a simple "cmake"-call is missing. E.g. if I download libwebsockets from git:

git clone git://git.libwebsockets.org/libwebsockets

and change into libwebsockets and call cmake like this:

cmake .

The following files are generated:

libwebsockets-test-server.key.pem

libwebsockets-test-server.pem

The same works if I navigate to build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/libwebsockets/1.23-r0/build and call "cmake ." -> the required files are generated.

So maybe this cmake call is somehow missing in the yocto-configuration? But wait, how can libwebsockets then be compiled? I don't get it. Nevertheless, generating these files by yourself should be a workaround

1 2 3 Previous Next