Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Downloaded new graphics driver, now things don't work. Please help.

EFabr
Beginner

Hello there, this is my first post on this forum and I am by no means a tech-wiz so please bear with me.

My Windows Action Center alerted me that there was a problem with my graphics driver so I requested it to update. I got the error message that my computer did not meet the minimum requirements for the upgrade.

I went to intel's homepage and tried finding the driver update manually by following the instructions listed here (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034660.htm Graphics Drivers — How to manually find Intel® Graphics Drivers)

I found that I have:

- Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

- 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

- Windows 8.1

I therefore downloaded this driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245 Intel® Download Center (the top one) and allowed my laptop to restart upon completion.

After starting back up I tried entering the game Diablo III Reaper of Souls, which ran just fine prior to the installation but I now get the error message " Graphics Error - click to retry creating D3D device".

My laptop has both a high-performance NVIDIA processor and an integrated Intel processor, I have tried running it in both but get the same error either way.

I also tried to revert to the previous driver as suggested here (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028686.htm Graphics Drivers — Intel® Graphics Driver Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)) but the roll-back button was grayed out so I guess it didn't retain the files of the previous driver.

Basically, I'm lost. Like I said I'm no tech-expert and I honestly didn't expect the update to cause such trouble and would really just like things to go back to how they were before but I don't know what my previous driver was called so I can't even just reinstall it.

If someone could give me suggestions as to how I might solve this problem in relatively simple terms that would be much appreciated.

Please do let me know if you need any more information on my specs.

Thank you very much in advance

EsbenF

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello EsbenF, thanks a lot for posting your inquire at Intel communities.

I would like to know more information about your issue, please reply back with answers of the following questions:

1- Detailed issue description, when are you getting the error?

2- Did the game worked on that computer before? If it worked, which Intel Graphics driver was installed on the system?

Which OEM driver was installed?

I do not have this game handy, but I'm going to try to get it in order to test it in my laptop.

0 Kudos
NMcCu
Beginner

I have the same issue that Esben is having. I've attached the error

The issue occurs after installing the updated Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Driver Version 10.18.10.3907). I've been able to recreate the issue on multiple identical laptops as well.

The laptop is a Dell Precision M4800 with the Intel HD 4600 and the NVIDIA Quadro K2100M. I am able to halt the error immediately by rolling back the driver to the previous version (version 10.18.10.3621). Once the driver is rolled back, the game starts and runs normally.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information NMcCurley. I'm going to report this behavior to the engineers.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

NMcCurley, I have been playing this game for a while on a Dell Ultra book and I am not getting any error.

In which part exactly of the game are you getting the message? While playing, on the presentation?

I have the latest graphics driver installed.

0 Kudos
NMcCu
Beginner

The error pops up right when the game starts up. I roll back the driver and it runs fine.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Which NVIDIA drive rare you using?

0 Kudos
NMcCu
Beginner

How odd. I updated the NVIDIA driver to 9.18.13.4084 and now it works.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for letting us know.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Esteban

Also, what is the make and model of your laptop?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos