12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 7:57 AM by HansPeter

Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card

SibaRobert

hi

I need help with Our Barcode Scanners that doesn’t work on our newly purchased computers from HP and Lenovo have Windows7 x64 Operating Systems.

The brand and model of the barcode scanner is:

Datalogic Heron D130 USB.

When you connect the scanner to the USB port, Windows will try to install this as an HID, but it takes an unusually long time, about 7-8 seconds, to start up the device and install the drivers and comes up as unknown device in windows "devices and printers" And the hand scanner is not working.

Sometimes when switching USB port back and forth can I sometimes get the hand scanner to be recognized as a HID device or a Datalogic barcode scanner,

it works fine until you restart the computer.

After restart can’t the computer detect the Barcode scanner correctly without re-appears as unknown device.

I suspect that there is a Compatibility issue between barcode scanner and the USB controller card on the computers.

I have tried to upgrade all the drivers available on the computer manufacturer's website and even Intel.com (chipset drivers) but nothing has helped to resolve this issue

Have tried newly purchased barcode scanners and Older “used”  barcode scanners that works on other computers, but the problem remains.

I have found a workaround by connecting barcode scanner into a USB-hub and then connect the USB-hub to the computer.  And let the USB-hub take care of the communication with the barcode Scanner.

in this case, it takes about 2 seconds for the Barcode scanner to come up correctly in windows under  "devices and printers" and then works flawlessly, even after a reboot.

I have Googled after an answer after my issue but it seems I'm the only one experiencing this problem. ?!

Have bought more than 40 computers that have this problem.

These were bought at different times and also from two different suppliers.

Computer models are as follows

HP ProDesk 400G1 P/N:D5S21EA

Specifikations:

http://www8.hp.com/emea_africa/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=6614160#!tab=specs

Lenovo ThinkCentre E73 (10AW-008NMX)

Specifikations:

http://support.lenovo.com/se/sv/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-e-series-desktops/thinkcentre-e73/documents/PD029624?tabName=ProductParts

Is my conclusion right?

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Does anyone have any idea what it could be wrong and how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Robert T

• 1. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
          sylvia_intel

Hello Robert, welcome to the Intel communities and thanks a lot for posting your inquire.

Robert, I would like to inform you that we provided generic drivers; therefore sometimes these cannot be installed on OEM systems or the installation of them would overwrite Lenovo or HP customizations and possibly change the functionality of it.

I would recommend using only the system manufacture drivers. The reason why is because they make many customizations to the drivers especially the chipset driver.

From our side, we tried to make as many third party components compatible as possible, but do to the sheer quantity of these third party components we cannot always guarantee compatibility.

Some suggestions I can give you are to check for a BIOS updated or a newest USB driver. You can also test the scanner on a regular desktop.

Regards,

• 2. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
            Nikakis

hi Siba, i have exactly the same issue with yours, with the only difference is that i have it with Dell Computer, of course it is a new pc , with windows7 64Bit, and i belive that our problem with the Datalogic scanner has to do either with windows7 64 bit or with usb3 support.

Did you found any solution other than connecting through a usb hub ? ( This is working for me too ).

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
              SibaRobert

Thanks for your reply

good to hear that I'm not alone with this problem

I havn't got any other solutions regarding this issue we have.

I also suspect the USB 3.0 port chipset but there is no difference if I use USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports.

and i don't think it is windows 7 x64 related problem.

I have an other computer model that works perfectly

Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq 6005 Pro MT PC with the same operating system that is Windows7- Pro x64

I have updated all drivers for the computer to the latest versions whitout any succsess.

I have sent e-mail with a request to Datalogic but I have only received an automated response that they will contact me soon and it was sent September 18.

have not heard anything from them yet.

Consider trying a different computer with another chipset.

Sincerely, Robert

• 4. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                Nikakis

Robert ,

I also tried to disable usb 3.0 from bios, but  no success ,

Tried with usb cable extention no success.

Thinking of H/W incombatibility, and i also think that maybe another usb device maybe does that.

I put here a list with my usb devices on that pos systems.

1. Usb to serial (digitus)

2. Citizen OPOS Printer CT-S651

3. Elo Touch screen 1517L

4. Toshiba USB Memory stick 8GB

5. Some kind of usb to serial for use with tax counting devices we have to use here in Greece.

6. And of course Heron.

I have also used HP rp5700 , with win 7 pro 64bit , and no such problem.

Thanks..

• 5. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                  Falk

Hello from germany,

here at the hospital we have exacly the same problem with several new computers from Fujitsu (Fujitsu Esprimo E720) and Win7 64bit.

Chipset in those computers: Intel® Q85

We did not find a solution yet.. but after updating the drivers, bios, new installation of OS, .... i really does seem to be a problem with the chipset that is installed on these computers.

My workmate doesnt have this problem but he installed some month ago the older ones.. Esprimo E710 with the older chipset Intel Q75...

So i think its a problem with the Q85 Chipset and the scanner.

• 6. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                    Falk

Okay.. we have a possible solution.

You have to deaktivate the USB xHCI Mode in your bios. After a restart of the computer the scanner are working fine.

So it seems like a problem with the xHCI Mode on Q85 Chipsets..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                      SibaRobert

In my Case the 2 computer models i got has Intel H81 Chipset,

and there is no option in the bios to deaktivate USB xHCI Mode,  the bios is perhaps striped down from lenovo,

I have not tested on HP model, then I have no such left my office.

I'm using the workaround with a USB-hub on those computers that has the problem.

and i have started to buy a computermodel that  ain't got this problem.

Thanks for finding a solution that seems to help many people who have this problem and is able to deaktivate xHCI mode

//Robert

• 8. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                        WillowMT

It's a relief to hear that we are not alone in having this issue.  We have several hundred D130's deployed in the field using our software in the healthcare sector and are have had 30-40 instances of similar problems arising as our customers have upgraded from XP to Windows 7 on new PC.  These include Dell, HP and Fujitsu machines and use both 32- and 64-bit Win7.

Our system uses the D130 in the COM port mode and we have cases of COM ports simply disappearing from device manager in mid-use, or remaining visible but not responding as well as scanners going bananas and making wild beeping noises!  Plug the scanner back into an old XP machine and everything is fine.

In most cases unplugging from USB and reconnecting does the trick, but needless to say our customers are not too impressed about having to do this several times a day.  From the information we are gathering it really does look like a hardware compatability issue, but Datalogic have been unable to help, saying they haven't seen the issue, which I find increasingly hard to believe. 

The hub option isn't really viable for us because of the numbers of users, but any other reliable workaround that will get these D130s working reliably again would be a huge blessing!

• 9. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                          ZiN

Hi there!

We're also having this issue with our Heron D130 and HP EliteDesk computers with Win7 x64.

Tried all drivers there is but still got problems with the scanner.

It works sometimes when we plug it in and out on diffrent ports, but only for a while, the same as previous posts.

So...still no solution on this issue?

Regards

Johan

Library of Tidaholm / Sweden

• 10. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                            Misterkeith

I too was having issues with the Heron D130 consistently working with my intel chipset HP ProDesk computers.

My fix was installing Rosewill RC-505 2-Port USB 3.0 PCI Express cards in all our machines with barcode readers.

Since installation I have had no issues.

This is more of a Band-Aid than an actual fix for the intel issues but the cards cost less than $20 which is was cheaper than the man hours I've put in trying to get them to work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                              JamesGWang

I recently built a system for POS in my shop with H81 chipset motherboard (ASUS H81M-C) and OS MS Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

All my other peripherals work: the CBM 1000 Receipt Printer (LPT port), KSI 1292 RS POS (PS/2) Keyboard, LG Flatron T1910 touch screen (USB) monitor,

and Zebra GK420d (USB) Barcode Label Printer.  The only device that I could not install is Datalogic Magellan 1100i Barcode Scanner.

I have tried everything, updating BIOS, updating chipset driver, plug all different ports, restarting many times and still can not install my barcode scanner.

It always comes up with "USB Device Not Recognised" and "Unknown Device".

The strange thing is when I connected the scanner to my older computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit,

then it would easily install as "Point of Sale Handable Scanner" device.

After reading through these pages, I went and bought myself a 4 port Active USB 3.0 Hub with own Power Supply.

Using this hub with its power switched on, I connected the Magellan 1100i Barcode Scanner and it finally installed automatically in a few seconds!

I know this is just a workaround, but spending $30 on a USB Hub is a lot cheaper than getting IT help to come to the shop and fix the problem!

Thank you for sharing your advice!

• 12. Re: Suspected Compatibility issue between Datalogic Heron D130 barcode scanner and the Intel USB controller card
                                HansPeter

Hi Everyone,

Is there a solution available for this Problem? We have exactly the same issues with our Jabra GN930 and with our Datalogic Barcode Scanners.

We have HP Elitedesk 800 SFF with the Q85 chipset from Intel.

Thank you

Hans Peter