4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 10:41 AM by vjou

Sending e-mail with Edison?

Sulamita

Is there any tool already available on Edison to send a pre-formatted e-mail? Or would I need to open a connection with mail port somewhere to send it?

Thank you, Sulamita.

• 1. Re: Sending e-mail with Edison?
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Sulamita,

I haven't tried it yet but I would use Python to do that task. Here is a site that might be helpful to start: Python emails examples

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Diego.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sending e-mail with Edison?
            mhahn

Haven't checked whether the Python mail modules are available for Edison. You might try installing from iotdk/ repo otherwise. Might work.

Other alternatives: "mutt", "sendmail", "mail". You'd have to compile those.

• 3. Re: Sending e-mail with Edison?
              David_J_Hunt

Sulamita,

If you want to get mailx onto your edison, there's already a recipe present in the edison source package that you can bitbake to make an installable package.  This involves setting up a Yocto build environment so you can bitbake the package. It might be a bit involved, but the good thing is that it opens up the possibility of install a lot more packages on your Edison.

• Get the Edison SKD and the "Edison Linux Source Files" from here: Edison - Software Downloads
              • Install those as per the documentation.
              • Then, to make a git package do 'bitbake mailx'. This will create mailx_12.5-r2_core2-32.ipk in .../edison-src/build/tmp/deploy/ipk/core2-32
              • Copy mailx_12.5-r2_core2-32.ipk on to your Edison board
              • Run 'opkg install mailx_12.5-r2_core2-32.ipk'.

You should now have the mailx command available for your use.

Rgds,

Dave.

• 4. Re: Sending e-mail with Edison?
                vjou

I built mailx_12.5-r2_core2-32.ipk and 'opkg install mailx_12.5-r2_core2-32.ipk' completed no problem. But, when I try to send mail, I always get ". . . message not sent. Does mailx require other packages?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

/usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory

root@MyEdison:~# "/home/root/dead.letter" 9/216

. . . message not sent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you,

vjou

=====================================================

Edit on 10/14/2014

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, I had not researched well.

I found msmtp in the yocto packages. It seems a mail client and it created a link /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /usr/bin/msmtp, too.