9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 7:50 AM by sylvia_intel

DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?

jb0

I'm using BIOS version 148 and a Core i3-4340 @ 3.60 GHz which (according to the board's compatible processor list) is compatible with this board.

The BIOS shows me a "Host Clock Frequency" of 100 MHz and 2.70 GHz - indicating that the CPU is running at a maximum speed of 2.70 GHz instead of 3.60 GHz. And indeed, the processor cores' maximum non-turbo ratio is fixed at 27 which I cannot change! Moreover, CPU speed and frequency tools show that the maximum speed step of my CPU is in fact merely 2.70 GHz instead of 3.60 GHz!

So, what do I have to do to get the maximum CPU speed of 3.60 GHZ I've payed for?

• 1. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
          jb0

Additional information: The BIOS option to enable turbo boost is available although the i3 doesn't have turbo boost. I can check it, but after re-entering the BIOS, it's unchecked again.

So, it seems that there is a BIOS bug, detecting the i3-4340 as boostable (although it isn't) and thus limiting the non-boost speed (which is the normal speed) to 2.7 GHz.

Intel, please check, respond and fix!

• 2. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
            sylvia_intel

Hello Jb0, thanks a lot for posting your inquire at Intel communities.

Please note that Intel® Turbo boost is engaged automatically depending on processor load, voltage, power and temperature. However, your processor does not comes with this technology therefore you should be able to change the multiplier manually (36x).

These are the recommendation I could give you:

• Update the BIOS version of your motherboard.
            • Install the Processor Diagnostics Tool. This application will diagnose the processor components and will generate a result. I suggest you running this software in order  to discard any possible issues with the processor (hardware).
              • Please use minimum configuration while running this test. You can get this from the following link:

• There is a third party software that you may also want to try named CPU-Z.
            • You can test the processor on another computer and check the BIOS. This is necessary in order to find out if the issue is related to microcode on BIOS or with the processor.

Regards.

• 3. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
              jb0

sylvia_intel, thanks for your reply.

I know that my i3-4340 doesn't come with turbo boost technology. Nevertheless, the BIOS gives me an option to enable/disable "Intel® Turbo Boost Technology" (always unset when entering the BIOS again) and, on the other hand, the multiplier is read only (shown greyed out) and fixed to 27 (please see my posting above).

I'd love to be able to change the multiplier manually to 36!

As I've mentioned, I'm using BIOS version 148 which seems to be the most recent one.

It very likely seems that there is a BIOS bug detecting the i3-4340 as boostable (although it isn't). BTW, the CPU's microcode (Microcode Update Revision) is 00000017, if that helps. Unfortunately, I cannot test the processor on another computer.

If you need additional information, please ask.

• 4. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
                sylvia_intel

This issue seems to be cause by a defective motherboard or processor, but since we are not able to test the chip on another system what I can suggest you is to get in touch with our technical team  Contact Support    or submit a web ticket to request an RMA. Remember that the processor or the motherboard needs to be under warranty.

https://servicerequestmgmt.intel.com/webticketui/emailpage.aspx?lang=en-us

• 5. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
                  jb0

sylvia_intel,

will do, although I'm not happy to probably disassemble the just being assembled CPU and board.

Are you really sure that it couldn't be just a BIOS flaw which is somehow misinterpreting the data of the (relatively new) CPU? I'd be glad if there were a possibility to somehow check this by software (on a USB stick) without an already installed OS - and I'm not using Windows anyway.

• 6. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
                    jb0

What I don't understand and what IMO points to a BIOS flaw: Since the BIOS correctly detects the CPU as Core i3-4340 @ 3.60 GHz, shouldn't it be able to handle the multiplier option correctly as well then? AFAIK, there is only one i3-4340 @ 3.60 GHz, so the necessary BIOS options for the various settings should be unambiguous and the limitation of the multiplier to 27 doesn't make any sense.

• 7. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
                      sylvia_intel

Jbo, I do understand your point, so if you want you could try to install the BIOS version again using the recovery method. Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS update

The only way to update the microcode of the processor is through a BIOS update.

Then, if the issue persisted please get in touch with our warranty team.

• 8. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
                        jb0

sylvia_intel,

I did install the BIOS again using the recovery method, but - as expected - nothing changed.

But when thinking about why you recommended that, I suspected that loading the BIOS defaults might not be a bad idea and ... Ta-dah! ... the multiplier miraculously has changed to 36, giving me the maximum CPU speed of 3.60 GHz now.

So, I'm finally having my CPU running at full speed, but still I'm thinking that there are BIOS bugs. You might want to pass them to the BIOS programmers for fixing them in the next version:

1. Although owning an i3, I still have an option to enable/disable "Intel® Turbo Boost Technology" (always unset when entering the BIOS again) on the Home screen, tab "Intel Technologies".
                        2. The processor cores' maximum non-turbo ratio slider still is read only (shown greyed out).
                        3. The Visual BIOS Setting "Check internet for updates" is always checked when entering the BIOS again, even if it has been unchecked before.
                        4. After loading the BIOS defaults, there was a caption like "Maximum CPU speed" in front of the 3.60 GHz value on the Main screen (one line under "Host Clock Frequency"). This caption has vanished after entering the BIOS again and is gone now.
                        • 9. Re: DQ87PG limiting CPU speed?
                          sylvia_intel

I’m glad to know that you were able to find the solution for this issue.

In additiion, thanks a lot for all the feedback given. I already send it to the corresponding team.