Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Intel HD 4400 Screen Brightness issue since graphics update

AA33
Beginner

I've been having an issue with my laptop for awhile now where the screen will adjust its brightness a few ticks based on the color displayed on my monitor. For example, if the color displayed is darker, the brightness will go up a few notches, and if its a whiter background it will go down a few notches. It's nothing dramatic but it is noticeable. This only happens when the laptop is on battery power.

My laptop is a Samsung Ativ book 9+ with i5 and Intel HD 4400 graphics.

I was able to fix this issue in the past, I believe I just needed to go into the Intel driver properties and disable the 'display power saving technology' option. However, due to a recent update to the Intel drivers, that setting is nowhere to be found. It looks like it was replaced by a new setting called 'panel self refresh' but I'm not sure exactly what that does, and it does not disable the setting which is giving me issues, although it sounds like it should. Does anybody know what I can do to disable this?

Also, I am positive this is being caused by the intel drivers because if I go into the device manager and disable the driver from there, it stops happening until I re-enable it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Bbmaster91, it is possible this is related to the adaptive brightness feature.

Not all systems include this feature but perhaps you can find it in the advanced settings of the power plan (Power Options). I found this option by expanding "Display".

However, there is also the chance that the Intel® HD Graphics driver that included such "display power saving technology" option was specifically designed for your system by the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm computer manufacturer. So, you probably would like to try with such version again.

0 Kudos
AA33
Beginner

It is 100% not related to adaptive brightness. This has been turned off and it has nothing to do with my surrounding environment. And as I mentioned in my first post, disabling the intel drivers from the device manager fixes the issue which means it is something related to the intel driver settings. Also, I was able to stop this from happening in previous versions of the drivers by turning off the disable adaptive brightness setting in the intel settings. This setting has since been removed from the drivers for some weird reason. Is there a way to access this setting anymore or disable it from the registry or something like that?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Did you try changing Contrast Enhancement in Video, Image Enhancement, Advanced or Display Power Saving Technology in Power (Plugged in or Battery drop down)?

0 Kudos