Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

How to increase my Dedicated video memory?

GAnil
Beginner

I've Intel DH67BL motherboard and 4 GB RAM. I've 1664MB as total available graphics memory from my 4GB RAM. But there is only 32 MB Dedicated video memory. My friend also have the same motherboard, graphics card and RAM. But he had 64MB dedicated video memory. My PC is too slow than his PC, while playing some games like Assassin's Creed. He does not have lagging, but I have. So I want to increase my dedicated video memory. Can I increase my dedicated video memory via BIOS settings? Please help me...

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Desktop Board community.

I understand you would like to increase video memory for your graphics controller.

Video memory can be adjusted via BIOS, please check the following configuration:

If you are interested in additional information about video memory please check this URL:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029090.htm Graphics Drivers — Graphics memory FAQ for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7*

Allan.

0 Kudos
GAnil
Beginner

I tried, but not working. There is only this type of option (Check the picture). What is the next step?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the picture.

Right there, set Maximum DVMT and the computer will handle up to 1.7 GB of dynamic memory.

Allan.

0 Kudos
GAnil
Beginner

Yes, but I want increase my dedicated video memory. I've 1664MB as total available graphics memory. Please Check the picture

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Make sure you have updated video drivers and check again: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3319 Intel® Download Center

Please filter by operating system and try to install the driver 15.28.22.64.3517

Allan.

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

You don't need a driver update.

And there is no need to increase "dedicated" video memory. In Integrated Graphics devices, all graphics memory is system memory. calling some of it "dedicated" doesn't make things run faster and should not be required for well written games or other applications to work. Instead of preallocating some memory to graphics (and therefore making it NEVER available to CPU), the graphics driver allocates memory from the operating system as it needs it - dynamically, on the fly - up to 1.6+GB in systems with 4GB of ram on systems like yours. This means that if you run memory heavy CPU apps (say big excel spreadsheet), those apps can use as much of the 4GB as possible; if you are running a game, the graphics will use more. Calling some of the RAM as "dedicated" simply wastes that memory for non-graphics use cases and leads to more disk swapping, etc.

Per Microsoft guidelines, Intel has reduced the amount of "dedicated" graphics memory to 32MB - simply enough to use for some basic internal driver book keeping (graphics page tables, etc) so as to preserve as much RAM as possible to be used where needed.

Bottom line - don't worry about whether the "dedicated" memory is enough - that is not a relevant question on integrated graphics devices. Ignore the generic min spec wording that games have about "512MB dedicated memory" required. For nearly all games, the dynamically allocated memory works fine.

That said, there are a few games that are poorly written which have hardcoded assumption (based on discrete graphics card memory hierarchy) that they think they need 512MB of "dedicated" memory. These apps are wrong - they include Star Wars: The Old Republic, Grand Theft Auto IV, some Pro Evolution Soccer games, and a few of the older Total War games. Symptoms will range from app refusing to run to app crashing to app running very slowly or failing to load textures to refusing to enable some mid/high settings or higher resolutions. These are application bugs - if you see these kinds of issues in the applications I listed or others, please report them to the game developer and ask them to fix their games.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the update.

Allan.

0 Kudos
DDelg
Beginner

Hi Allan!

Uuuhm, my computer have the Dedicated Video Memory on 32mb, so, I want to upgrade him or just boost or something to the maximum of 1gb. That's possible, and how can i do that?

Thankzz

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

You need to check for BIOS settings in order to adjust the video memory. If you do not see any video memory option in BIOS, pretty much that would be controlled automatically through Video BIOS.

Allan.

0 Kudos
snagp1
Beginner

allan_intel I cant find any video memory option in BIOS to increase Dedicated Video Memory. Please Bro Help me how to increase the DVM?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

As previously mentioned, if there is no option in BIOS, this will be handled automatically through the Video BIOS.

Allan.
0 Kudos
snagp1
Beginner

Allan where's is the Video Bios option then?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The video BIOS, this is part of the graphics chip. It cannot be controlled, this is a chip integrated.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BCurl
Beginner

allan, here is the system in question:

couple of questions, first the dedicated video memery is only 128 mb but work programs demand higher, and as i have read there might not be a way to truly change this but is there a way to edit the drivers or run a script to mask the true dedicated memory

second as the amount of dedicated memory doesnt mater as it ramps up as needed is there a way to keep it ramped up so when editing programs or games that think they require higher level "see" a lager amount tasked to video memory

thanks

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

inside regedit folders are called keys there is suppose to be the option to configure the memory size in the Intel control panel

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

thatguy112

If there are options through BIOS to change video memory, then you can get dynamically up to 1.7GB; otherwise, this will be automatically controlled by the Video Bios.

Please bear in mind that Intel does not assist with command lines or scripts to change drivers or windows registries.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JJone19
Beginner

Hi,

Not sure you can help here but you might be able to point me in the right direction. I have a chinese tablet using Cherry Trail chipset. (chuwi hi10)

In the bios I changed DVMT setting from the default 128Mb to Maximum. Saved settings and restarted. I now have a blank screened-tablet with no output to either the tablet screen or hdmi output. I'm guessing the board doesn't like/suppport changing this setting.

The fix should be to boot back into the bios and change the setting, but with a fully blank screen I can't get to the bios to do this. I figure this is one for the manufacturer but given it's an intel chipset I'm hoping you may know a quick fix to reset the bios to factory default or have any suggestions.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
RRosh2
Beginner

I would need so info and help on this topic aswell.

When i enter into my bios i do have the option to change the "video memory size" I have no idea if this is the same one as to change my dedicated video memory.

But, i did change it to 1gb, (i have 8gb of ram) and i exited and saved. opened up the screen where it shows all the dedicated video memory and such and it didnt actually change the dedicated video memory i chose.

Also, i was thinking of changing it through registryeditor but i have no idea how much vram my intel hd 4400 can handle (the max i mean)

Also i dont know about my bios too much and i i dont know where i can update it.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

there are instructions here

0 Kudos
snagp1
Beginner

zeqzy idk how to create the folder in intel that is GMM plzz tell

0 Kudos