Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000, backlight flickering problem

MVanD23
Beginner

My laptop has an Intel Core i7 3630QM CPU and Nvidia GeForce GT 630M GPU.

The problem is when I disconnect the power supply and the brightness is 100% the backlight starts flickering and doesn't stop until I reconnect the power supply or decrease the brightness.

The Intel driver, Nvidia driver and BIOS are up to date.

I've disabled the "Display power saving technology" but that didn't fix the problem.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi maximvd,

Have you tried disabling "display refresh rate switching"? if its enabled it might switch the refresh rate from 60 to 40(or what ever the rate your display hold)while unplugging your power supply which might obviously be the reason behind the flickering. disabling power saving technology has nothing to do with the flickering.

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

Thanks for the response, Could you tell me where to find that setting or how to disable it.

I read somwhere that the refresh rate changed but I thought that it was part of the power saving technology.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. You'll see an option call Power. click on that, and then you'll find these options which is in the image below.

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

My control panel doesn't have that option.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you have the latest driver installed? or have you tried reinstalling the driver?what is the refresh rate of your laptop display?

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

It should be, I downloaded it only a few days ago.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes you have the latest driver. Have you checked the display settings under the nvidia control panel since you have a GT 630M?

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

I could only find one setting which could have something to do with power saving and I set it to max perfomance.

Is there a reason why I cant disable/enable display refresh rate switching?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What refresh rate are you using and what's the refresh rate of your laptop display?If it still doesn't work have you tried reinstalling the driver? and if it still doesn't work do you have the marked setting in the NVidia control panel?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you are unable to fix it still try these steps

Open regedit (type regedit in start menu search box)

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Classes

Now hit Ctrl+F or select find from the edit menu.

Search for: FeatureTestControl

When you find it, change whatever it currently is to f840 (as hex) or 63808(decimal).

Reboot. Now it will stay on 60Hz whether you run on A/C or Batts.

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

I already tried that but unfortunately it didn't work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Give me all the details about your pc. including the refresh rate and the makers details.

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

Here you go, the refresh rate is set to 60Hz but I'm not sure how to detect the actual refresh rate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay, have you tried reducing the refresh rate to 40Hz and see if the problem persists?

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you don't have an option to change the refresh rate like in the image below then the "display refresh rate switching" option wont be available for you; since you have only 60Hz as a default refresh rate without choice. But I do request you to wait for a reply from an official INTEL expert on the issue you're currently facing.

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

Ok, thanks a lot for the help.

Do I need to do something to get help from an official Intel expert?.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No need to do anything, just keep browsing this topic now and then,the intel expert will surely reply to this issue.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Maxim, Do you have the latest graphics drivers from the Samsung support site installed on your system or the latest graphics drivers from the Intel and Nvidia support sites?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
MVanD23
Beginner

Samsung has a program called SW Update which only has Intel drivers (Ver 10.18.10.3621) but I installed the drivers from intel cause of the problem but Samsung doesn't deliver Nvidia drivers so I downloaded them from Nvidia .

0 Kudos