10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 2:36 AM by mhahn

Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS

Syah

Hi,

I've just gotten my RS-232 to 3.5mm jack, and RS-232 to USB. I've also installed the necessary drivers and I can see it under my device manager as Prolific USB-to-Serial. However, when I ring up putty, and hit enter a couple of times, I do not see the login screen at all. It just hangs there.

So, I downloaded Cool Term, and set the necessary parameters, and set it to Line Mode.I am able to connect to my COM port without any problem.But whenever I send AT, I don't see any responses either. What am I missing?

Kindly advice.

• 1. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Syah,

It could be for different reasons like choose the wrong COM port or the baud-rate is not the correct value. Can you take a screenshot to see what is your error exactly, on PuTTY? Make sure you are setting the correct COM port and the correct baud rate value which is 115200.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
            Syah

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png8.png

• 3. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
              Syah

As you can see, there is no error displayed. As such, I do not know whether is there something wrong or not.

• 4. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
                Syah

Now, I gave up on the RS-232 cable thingy.

I am using a normal USB connection.

I refer to this post here that I am following at https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/galileo-getting-started-guide/using-the-terminal

I uploaded this sketch.

void setup()

{

system("cp /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.bak");  // Back up inittab

// Replace all "S:2345" with "S0:2345"'s (switching serial ports):

system("sed -i 's/S:2345/S0:2345/g' /etc/inittab");

// Replace all "ttyS1" with "ttyGS0"'s (switching serial ports):

system("sed -i 's/ttyS1/ttyGS0/g' /etc/inittab");

// Replace all "grst" with "#grst"'s to comment that line out:

system("sed -i 's/grst/#grst/g' /etc/inittab");

// Replace all "clld" with "#clld"'s to comment that line out:

system("sed -i 's/clld/#clld/g' /etc/inittab");

system("kill -SIGHUP 1");

}

void loop()

{

}

Then, I used Z0C6 to access the LINUX OS.

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 10.51.55 am.png

As you can see, I was able to go into the OS. But that's just about it, and its just gonna hang there before I can do anything else with it.

• 5. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
                  DiegoV_Intel

Hi Syah,

I've just connected to terminal using a USB-RS232 converter cable, and also a RS232 to 3.5mm audio jack. The cable appears on Device Manager as 'USB Serial Port', and for my case is COM7. I noticed from your pictures that you changed the 'Bits per second 'value to 115200. I don't do that, I mean, my 'Bits per second' is 9600 as default and I don't change it. Then, I opened PuTTY, I selected 'Serial', I changed the speed value to 115200 and I changed the 'Serial line' to the correct COM port (COM7 in my case), then I pressed the open button and the terminal showed up, then I pressed Enter once and wrote 'root' and enter again.

Another thing that could be causing the issue is the audio jack. Make sure it is a stereo jack.

Try to follow my steps and let me know the results. Also attach a picture of your cables. Have a nice day!

Regards,

Diego.

• 6. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
                    Syah

Negative. I've tried that without success.

Attached is my cable. It was extremely difficult to find it in my nearest local hardware / electronics store. It was custom made for me since there is no stock for this type of cable.

20140919_091750.jpg20140919_091806.jpg

I am not sure whether the cable is right or wrong, but this is the BEST that I can get. Perphaps Intel should consider including this cable in the package in the future as it is extremely hard to find.

Regardless of the above, why does the LINUX OS hangs after I managed to go inside it by using the custom sketch method?

• 7. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
                      mhahn

well, I'd assume there is an electrical hw issue with your cable which freezes not only Yocto but the whole board. For instance I could imagine that shortening TX and RX could confuse the hw quite a bit. Otherwise serial communication is not a problem at all - whether you use the serial over the USB client or over the audio JACK (I built 2 cables for the audio JACK which both work fine; I know others did as well).

As you might know: In Gen2 the audio Jack serial has been replaced by a 6-pin serial connector which should it make easier to find an adapter for

• 8. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
                        DiegoV_Intel

Hi Syah,

I think it is a problem with the cable, so I'll recommend you to try to get (or build ) another cable. Check these posts about building your own serial cable, they might be helpful:

UART cable pin-out

Building a Serial Cable

Serial cable for Galileo...

Intel Galileo - Introduction

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Diego.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
                          Syah

When I got the custom made RS232, I asked the hardware person to make it for me since I don't have the necessary materials to cut it. And the cable colours are all different from whatever examples that I could find it on the internet.

So, I asked him to help me do the cable based on the pinouts diagram at Building a Serial Cable.

I was really hoping that using custom sketch on SparkFun to go into the LINUX OS would solve the problem. Or at least get to know the reason why it hangs after i managed to get into LINUX using this method.

I guess, my last resort would be using the LAN cable?

• 10. Re: Cannot Acecss Galelio LINUX OS
                            mhahn

more important than cable colors are what they are connected to. You should measure with a multimeter the connections.

LAN cable works fine if you use e.g. the IoT devkit image on https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/getting-started where a ssh server is already listening