1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 9:41 AM by David_Intel

Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card

MountainComputers

Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card. It did prior to resetting the BIOS. System will not post with a QuadroFX 5600. Tried another video card and nada, no post. If I put in a really cheap PCI-e video card, it will post.

A few years back told me the BIOS workaround to turn off something? one of the two LAN ports?

I forgot their workaround answer. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
          Victorhf

The system BIOS provides the option for Dual Monitor Video operation when an add-in video card is configured in the system.  I would recommend enter the BIOS setup utility using the basic video card ("cheap PCI-e video card") and disable the onboard video.

More information can be found in the Technical Product Specification (TPS)  here:

Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC — Technical product specification

• 2. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
            MountainComputers

Hi Victor,

I tried that before I posted here, and yes, even the BIOS says onboard video enabled | disabled even while there are no physical on-board video ports.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep looking.

Andy

• 3. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
              David_Intel

How many video cards are installed in the system? I was checking the specifications of your NVIDIA Quadro® FX 5600 and noticed that the maximum power consumption is 171W.

Please see the following population rules listed in our Technical Product Specifications.

Video Card Population.PNG

You may need to contact Intel Customer Support for proper follow up on this matter.

• 4. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                MountainComputers

That is the only video card installed.

• 5. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                  MountainComputers

There is a raid controller plugged in a pci x1 slot but that is the only other thing plugged in

• 6. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                    MountainComputers

As far as power to the video card, there are two PCI-e power module cables connected from the 1000W power supply. I tried different module cables too from other module power sources too.

food for thought.

• 7. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                      David_Intel

Let’s install the video card that worked on the unit and make sure the unit is running with the latest firmware version. For this board, the most current firmware is 02.03.0003

By the way, what is the model of the video card that do work?

Additionally, let’s try to disable some of the onboard options for your system. This would help us rule out any possible conflict or resource limitation of the board.

I would usually disable unused onboard Option ROM such as onboard RAID, onboard NIC, Serial ports, etc.

You may also try the following:

Go to Advanced > PCI Configuration.

Set Maximize Memory below 4 GB to Disabled.

Set Memory Mapped I/O above 4 GB to Enabled.

Set Memory Mapped I/O Size to 256 G or higher.

If the issue remains after this, then I would need you to open a ticket with Intel Customer Support for resolution.

• 8. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                        MountainComputers

thanks for your continued help.

the System BIOS is S5500.86B.01.00.0038 -- why is the flash procedure such a pain. too bad it is not like the Dell BIOS update EXE.

disabled all the unnecessary Serial ports, Memory Mapped I/O to enabled. the mm i/o 256g or higher did not exist.

The video card that works is an is A Dell OEM ATI Radeon X600..

Give me a second while I try the big video card now...  thanks.

• 9. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                          MountainComputers

nope. still no post. will flash the BIOS to the version you mentioned.

• 10. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                            MountainComputers

Hi David,

the BIOS update you gave me does not look like it applies to the S5520SC --

this is what I found instead - which is correct?

Intel® Download Center

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.

Intel® Server Board S2600IP and Intel® Workstation Board W2600CR Firmware Update Package for Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)

Intel® Download Center

• 11. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                              David_Intel

My bad, for some reason I mixed up the links. Let me make a correction about the firmware level. The most current version is BIOS 64. However, we need to upgrade your system to BIOS 45 before we go to the most current one.

…and yes, there is always room for improvement such as having an executable file to update the firmware. I am sharing this feedback with the corresponding parties for consideration.

• 12. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                                MountainComputers

no problem.

got it .. what is the [File Name] I should use? IFlash32.efi or R0045.cap

Updating from BIOS revisions R0018 or later:

User can update BIOS flash image via either of the following methods...

UEFI iFlash32 2.6 Build 10

1.  Boot the system to EFI Shell

2.  Copy IFlash32.efi and BIOS .CAP file to a HD or USB Flash Drive

( Do not use the Rec.CAP file as it will clear NVRAM and should

only be used for Recovery - See Recovery Instructions located in the seperate recovery package )

3.  Map the respective storage device in system with the command

Shell> map -r

4.  Change the Shell to mapped device file system

Example: Shell> fs0: (or fs1:)

5.  Run the IFlash32 utility on the prompt

fs0:\> IFlash32 [File Name] /u /ni

6.  Reboot system after the update is completed.

Volume in drive E has no label.

Volume Serial Number is C442-BD18

Directory of E:\

12/21/2009  04:31 PM            17,788 BMC_48.txt

09/25/2009  06:57 AM            18,321 COPYING.txt

05/06/2009  02:35 PM           841,728 FRUSDR.efi

10/16/2009  09:56 PM           290,304 fwpiaupd.efi

02/11/2009  10:52 AM             4,893 HC_BMC.fru

07/24/2009  04:17 PM           656,601 HC_BMC.sdr

01/23/2009  02:22 PM           327,168 IFlash32.efi

02/04/2009  12:48 AM            10,932 INTEL-THURLEY-BMC-MIB

10/16/2009  09:37 PM           246,400 ipmi.efi

04/06/2006  12:54 PM             4,353 LICENSE.TXT

09/24/2009  02:06 PM            35,448 MASTER.CFG

05/30/2008  05:12 PM            34,816 OBL1.doc

05/30/2008  05:12 PM            64,000 OBL2.doc

11/23/2009  10:57 AM         3,217,944 R0045.cap

12/29/2009  06:54 PM             6,575 ReleaseNoets_FRUSDR21.txt

06/29/2009  11:22 PM             3,801 ReleaseNotes_ME1.11.txt

12/21/2009  04:36 PM             6,145 S5520HC_S5500HCV_S5520SC_ SFUP_ PR6_Update_Instructions.txt

03/23/2009  06:53 PM             4,893 SC_BMC.fru

06/02/2009  06:17 AM           131,164 sps_111_dib.bin

12/21/2009  04:22 PM             3,977 startup.nsh

12/21/2009  04:19 PM    <DIR>          EFIScripts

12/08/2009  05:35 AM            20,224 BIOS_45.txt

11/14/2009  01:22 AM        16,777,216 BMC_0048.ima

09/16/2014  03:35 PM                 0 f.txt

23 File(s)     22,724,691 bytes

1 Dir(s)   7,971,848,192 bytes free

• 13. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                                  MountainComputers

or is it this procedure from the RELEASE NOETS...

=============================================================================

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

=============================================================================

1. Ensure BMC release 00.42 or later is pre-installed before attempting this

FRU/SDR update.

2. Copy all files in the SUP to a USB key

3. Now execute the following command to bring up the main FRU/SDR load menu:

Run startup.nsh

or

Run FRUSDR21 in the EFIScripts folder

4. Select the option which is applicable to what you want to do. On a brand

new baseboard I would highly recommend to run option 3 to program both

the FRU and SDR. By reprogramming the FRU you will be given the option

to input data from the keyboard into various chassis, board and product

areas. Ensure that you select the correct chassis from the chassis

selection menu otherwise your fan sensors will not be configured

properly.

5. Once the FRUSDR update is complete, it is recommended that power off the

system and apply a AC cycle.

• 14. Re: Intel Server Board S5520SC will not see PCI-e video card
                                    David_Intel

The first set of instructions you posted is only to update the BIOS portion of the board. The second post is the one that covers the entire update package (BIOS, BMC, ME, and FRU/SDR).

We should run the entire update package for both of the updates we need.  You may perform the updates by doing the following:

• Copy the files to the root directory of your USB device (formatted in FAT32).

• During POST, press F6 to bring the Boot Manager and select Internal EFI Shell.

• Since we copied the files to the root directory, the EFI Shell is going to find the “startup.nsh” file and is going to ask you to proceed with the update.

If needed, there is a demo video that shows how to run the individual items of the package. I still find it easier just to copy the files to the root directory and let the EFI shell execute the “startup.nsh”.

1 2 Previous Next