1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 11:43 PM by CorBee

Blinking ethernet connector at startup

CorBee

Hi,

Whenever I start (by plugging the adapter in the mains) my Intel Galileo the Ethernet connector orange LED blinks rapidly. This does not stop when the Linux Image (Sdcard) has booted up. Everything seems to work but there seem to be delays in the communication via Putty or WINSCP. When I remove the ethernet connector during startup and wait 10-20 seconds the orange LED does not show this behaviour. Unfortunately I dont want to actively unplug/plug the ethernet everytime I let the system startup.

Does anybody have an idea what could cause this ??

kind regards

Cor Berrevoets

• 1. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi CorBee,

I have a couple of questions about your issue. Was the Galileo working fine before? Also, did you try to update the firmware version using the Arduino IDE? I will recommend you to update the firmware and also download the image again, then, try again to start-up the Galileo, first without the sd card and then with the sd card. Download the Linux Image from this site: Software Downloads.

Try that and let us know what the results were. Have a nice day!

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
            CorBee

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the fast reaction. I had allready updated the firmware and I am also using the latest Linux image. I have just tested the startup without the SDcard as you suggested. The LED still blinks rapidly at startup. When I wait with adding a connection until the green USB light is up for at least 5 seconds or so the connection looks normal (Orange LED sometimes blinks but thats normal). For the details, Its connected to a Netgear WGR614 router.

As stated things work completely as planned when I add the connection later and the Galileo is thus working normal.

regards

Cor

• 3. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi CorBee,

I'm a little confused, are you having the same behavior or did you get a solution for your issue?

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                CorBee

Hi Diego,

The problem is still the same. So when I plug in the Galileo with the Ethernet connected at starttup it starts blinking the LED on the connector rapidly. This does not stop and has effects on the availability of the galileo via SSH for instance.

When I startup and connect to the ethernet some time after the USB led has gone green (end of the startupcycle) the ethernetconnection behaves normal and the LED is only blinking when a transmission happens.

Ive tried this both using the Linux provided on chip (SPI) and with the default linux image from the intel-site.

cheers

Cor

• 5. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                  DiegoV_Intel

Hi CorBee,

I think the IP address has not been assigned correctly during the booting process. Try this command after the booting process is done in order to know the IP address is being assigned: ifconfig eth0. Try it for both cases: with and without the Ethernet cable connected when you plug the power supply.

Also, use this other command in case you are having the issue, I mean, when you plug the power supply while the Ethernet cable is connected in order to restart the Ethernet connection: /etc/init.d/networking restart and see if the issue is resolved.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Diego.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                    CorBee

Hi

Let me recap to see if I understand the advice clearly.

1) I should start the Galileo with and without an ethernet adapter to it and try using ifconfig eth0 from the telnet connection ?

I can only try this with the board connected via ethernet as I have otherwise no option to telnet to the board

//I got this as a reply

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;XX

inet addr:192.168.1.27  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: XXXX::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX/XX Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:220 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:25070 (24.4 KiB)  TX bytes:32372 (31.6 KiB)

Interrupt:40 Base address:0x4000

This does not look odd to me,and the led was blinking fast at this moment.

2) Tried that command and got

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces

Reconfiguring network interfaces...

udhcpc (v1.20.2) started

Sending discover...

Sending discover...

Sending select for 192.168.1.27...

Lease of 192.168.1.27 obtained, lease time 86400

ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists

ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 192.168.1.1

done.

No change in the LED ....

Cor

• 7. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                      DiegoV_Intel

Hi CorBee,

What I wanted to explain is that try using ifconfig eth0 when you power the board with the Ethernet cable connected (the issue case), and when you power the board and, after the booting process connect the Ethernet cable to see if there is something wrong with the IP address.

You mentioned before your router. Are you connecting the Galileo Ethernet cable directly to your router or to the PC? Also, did you try assigning a static IP instead using DHCP?

Regards,

Diego.

• 8. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                        CorBee

Hi,

As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with the IP adress and it is a static IP.

Your explanation in the last mail is however unclear, you want me to try using ifconfig eth0 after powering the board (connected to the router) and when the leds are blinking fast. THe output of that I have shared in my previous reply. In your explanation you state "and when you power the board and after the booting process connect the ethernetcable "  ...

Unclear what I should do, when the board is not connected to the router I have no information of its status (except for the visual clues of the leds that show the boot has ended etc). I do not have a PC connected to the board, I solely program the board via WINSCP and Putty and therefore the board is constantly directly connected to the router.

regards

Cor

P.S. This issue doesnt stop me developing on the Galileo its just unpleasant that after a fresh powerup I need to make sure the ethernetLEDs behave normal. A simple reboot from root@clanton does perfectly restart without any problems.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                          CorBee

Hi,

It seems that you simply now set my reaction as the correct answer ... Thats odd. I have a clear hardware related issue with this board, if the power goes down it does not startup in a normal fashion. For my current setup I can live with it since I do not power the unit often down. But in a realtime setup this off course would lead to a system that will not function as planned ...

So this is NOT yet answered and I have reverted the state of the question accordingly.

regards

CorB

• 10. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                            DiegoV_Intel

Hi CorBee,

I'm sorry... are you using a Galileo Board Gen 1 or Gen2?

• 11. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                              CorBee

Hello Diego,

I am using a Gen1 board.

regards

Cor

• 12. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                                DiegoV_Intel

Hi CorBee,

I've tried to reproduce this issue using my Galileo Gen1 but it booted fine. I tried with SD Card and without it, and in both cases I did not see this behavoir. Can you please confirm which firmware are you using and which Linux image are you using? Did you build your own image?

Regards,

Diego.

• 13. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                                  CorBee

Hi,

As you can see in my reply of 10 september I am using the latest firmware that was suggested on your website. No self build, and that also isnt the real issue since the problem also appears when I boot without the SD-card ... and that is also visible in my previous replies.

Cor

• 14. Re: Blinking ethernet connector at startup
                                    DiegoV_Intel

Hi CorBee,

Could you please try this command and provide us the output? cat /sys/firmware/board_data/flash_version

BTW, a new IDE and firmware was released (1.0.4). I'd suggest you to update the firmware to 1.0.4 version and see if the issue is fixed with this firmware version: Edison - Software Downloads . Let me know the results.

Regards,

Diego.

1 2 Previous Next