1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 9:09 AM by Slavko

IOT developer kit (beta) announced

mhahn

The IOT developer kit (beta) has just been announced: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/09/08/announcing-intel-iot-developer-kitus/blogs/2014/09/08/announcing-intel-iot-developer-kit

"IoT Dev Kit consists of:

[...]

(2) Software image and/or the software packages

(3) Support for various IDEs allowing you to program in your favorite language

(Eclipse, Intel XDK IoT Edition, Arduino & Wyliodrin)

(4) Cloud services for a data management and analytics

[...]"

• 1. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
          AdamMiltonBarker

Do you know how much the starter kit ? The links for the starter kit don't work.

• 2. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
            AjayMungara

The correct link for the starter kit is

Gen 1: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-Starter-Kit-Plus-Intel-IoT-Edition-GEN-1-p-1977.html

Gen 2: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-Starter-Kit-Plus-Intel-IoT-Edition-GEN-2-p-1978.html

Main difference between the two kits is the cables.

For a limited time, you can also get little over 15% discount by using the special coupon code 0a2e457cf9

Use the Coupon code during the step 2 (payment step).

Regards,

Ajay Mungara

• 3. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
              AdamMiltonBarker

OK thanks for the reply, out of stock for now, will get one soon.

• 4. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                rgb

Hi Site is a bit confusing, but downloaded image and Intel XDK IoT Edition.

Should be a note on how to write to SD card with linux

Uncompress, dd if=iot-devkit-latest-mmcblkp0.direct of=/dev/sdb (or whatever the card shows up with df -h command)

Then how to expand partition. My tools is gparted

Otherwise looks great as has tools already in the image, a web server and has access to a limited repository.

Will the repository be expanded or should I just go back to using AlexT's repository?

thanks rgb

AlexT_Intel

• 5. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                  AlexT_Intel

I think Devkit's repo isn't compatible with my one because Devkit OS image is eglibc-based, or at least multilib with eglibc being the primary.

mhahn, do you think my understanding is correct here?

• 6. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                    mhahn

AlexT_Intel wrote:

I think Devkit's repo isn't compatible with my one because Devkit OS image is eglibc-based, or at least multilib with eglibc being the primary.

mhahn, do you think my understanding is correct here?

Yes, the repo is eglibc. There are only some uclibc libs to ensure Arduino sketches running fine as well.

You would want to use e.g. the repos on 1.1/

• 7. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                      rgb

Ok Thanks

This kind of limits me as my primary development platform is Linux, so only have node.js XDK Iot edition which seems to be a bit limited, (maybe because I don't know much about node.js programming) and I would like to have the option to install applications on the board.

I'll poke around a bit more and see what I can do. At least it has python and some on-board tools.

thanks

rick

• 8. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                        rgb

MHahn

By the way, I don't want to seem negative. XDK IoT IDT works great. No problem running examples and easy to figure out. I especially like that I just need to give each board a different name and my students will be able to access their boards over the network, so no need to connect either the serial cable (which is hard to get) or a usb cable ( with associated risk of destroying the board if students plug in usb before power). The Galileo Image also has a full development set so was able to install Nano (as I hate using vi and ed)  and have played a bit with scripting (did a sound test using a usb sound card and the speaker test files included in the image). This will allow for more interesting projects then can do with just an Arduino.

I would like to see a simple interface like Raspi-config to finish setting up the board:  expand the partition, set time zone, rename, set password, etc., but can do on my own.

All in all a great start. I look forward to having more libraries ported so can use servos, LCDs, motor control boards, etc and not locked into Seed studio, as we have quite a collection of shields, sensors and other items for Arduino boards that can be used with the Galileo, and would like to see some applications in the repository, like fswebcam, so can easier take advantage of the Linux system.

thanks

rick

• 9. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                          mhahn

have you checked the repos I referred to? You find various packages there.

• 10. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                            mhahn

thanks for the feedback!

we certainly try to add further devices. But at the end we encourage the community to contribute to UPM. Having an open source project for mraa / upm essentially everybody can add sensors to UPM to make it available for others as well.

• 11. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                              AlexT_Intel

As far as fswebcam specifically is concerned, I've recently created a recipe for Edison, most probably I'll be able to reuse it for Galileo.

I have a long-outstanding task on my list to rebase the Galileo package and the "devtools" image repo to 1.0.3 software release and maybe that's what I'll do this weekend + get fswebcam a try. I'll announce it in the package repo/devtools image threads if I get to that.

• 12. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                                rgb

Hi MHanh

I checked out the application list after doing opkg update and looked at the git site.

I am now going through the files on i2c LCD to see if I can get it to work with a generic LCD backpack.

The problem seems to be that it isn't being detected. I2cdetect didn't show the device, which works with AlexT's version.

I'll poke around a bit more this weekend to see what is going on.

thanks

rick

• 13. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                                  rgb

Can more entries be added to /usr/share/zoneinfo/ in  next update?

Right now for Asia there is only:

Dhaka  Dubai  Hong_Kong  Karachi  Tokyo

In addition, I am trying to make a script to allow students to update there systems, but am running into snags. I would like to have something like Raspi-config, but since there is no dpkg-reconfigure, I can't run interactive update of locale information, so will probably just have to set have a script change settings to a default.

thanks

rick

• 14. Re: IOT developer kit (beta) announced
                                    mhahn

you may try installing tzdata-<your zone>*.ipk from

all/

1 2 Previous Next