9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 8:07 AM by sylvia_intel

Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI

piturski

Hello I have Lenovo Z580 with Windows 8.1 Pro, Intel HD 4000

I plugged my Yamaha rx-v375 AV receiver via HDMI.

I set audio configuration to 5.1 surround sound and set native(straight sound) without any special effects.

My AV receiver signal 5.1 source all the time, And I can't use my dolby prologic system for the stereo sources like (youtube, old games like warcraft 3 even Fifa 14 have only stereo sound.

This is picture 1 description(5 stpes).

1. I plugged my Yamaha rx-v375 AV receiver.

2. I clicked to configuration.

3. I set stereo and set rest of configuration.

4. Then I played source in stereo and my AV receiver shown correct stereo (front left and front right)

5. If I want i can use dolby prologic decoder to mix stereo to surround sound (front left, center, front right, rear left and rear right)

But sometimes i need to open program or PC game or film in native surround sound.

This is picture 2. description(5 stpes).

1. I plugged my Yamaha rx-v375 AV receiver.

2. I clicked to configuration.

3. I set 5.1 surround sound and set rest of configuration.

4. Then I played source in surround sound and my receiver shown correct surround sound (front left, center, front right, rear left and rear right)

5. But after that I played source in stereo sound and my receiver shown exactly the same surround sound (front left, center, front right, rear left and rear right) This is intel driver error, because source had only front left and front right !!!!!

It should be dynamic switch between stereo and 5.1 via HDMI and not 5.1 all the time!!!!!

It is very tiring to switch this manually in control panel all the time!!!!

ImageImage

• 1. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
          Zack_K

Hi piturski,

Could you let me know what graphics driver you have for your system? If you don't have the latest drivers from Lenovo(R), you might want to try updating them from their website.

You could also try installing the latest generic graphics drivers that Intel(R) provides in the links below:

32-bit: Intel® Download Center

64-bit: Intel® Download Center

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or information.

Thank you,

Zack_K.

• 2. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
            piturski

I alredy have latest driver.

Plz can U fix that?

This guy have the same problem https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/627955/gtx-770-hdmi-audio-always-outputting-5-1/

• 3. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
              Zack_K

Hi piturski,

I have a couple more questions to ask as I'm getting the system set up:

1. By dynamic switch, are you referring to stereo sound coming out of all 5 speakers when trying stereo sound under surround sound settings? Or do you mean that the receiver doesn’t display stereo when it is playing stereo sounds in surround sound mode? Basically, when you play stereo music in surround sound mode, is it coming out of 2 speakers or all 5?
              2. Do you have a download link for the decoder you mentioned so I can do further tests with it?

Let me know and I can try to help you from there.

Thank you,

Zack_K

• 4. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
                piturski

When I set 5.1 surround sound in control and set rest of configuration:

I use stereo source.

My sound receiver shows all 5 channels(I have not subwoofer yet), but sound is producing only by front left and right speakers.

In my opinion ideal perfect driver should works in that way:

1. In configuration user manual define the maximum number of channels which is properly supported by his receiver: stereo, 5.1 or 7.1.

2. After that action system default works in stereo mode (I can use prologic effects if i want expand(simulate) stereo source to 5.1 (for example: mp3 youtube old films and games)

3. If the system identifies the source of a larger number of sound channels automaticly change stereo to 5.1.

4. If the system identifies the source 7.1 and i have only 5.1 mode. System works in 5.1 However, the sound of other channels is not lost just woven into the selected channels.

5. If the system identifies the source 7.1 or 5.1 mode and i have only stereo mode. System works in stereo However, the sound of other channels is not lost just woven into the selected channels.

Second idea (in my opinion better option)

1. Delete option of configuration.

2. Delete all sound enhancers in HDMI sound option.

3. Transfer native sound dynamic switch stereo, 5.1, 7.1.

4. Because if receiver have HDMI input. It obligatory can reduce the number of channels to proper number.

" Or do you mean that the receiver doesn’t display stereo when it is playing stereo sounds in surround sound mode"

-Yes exactly

My friend have lenovo y580 and He have spdif output.

Spdif output have not any configuration of numbers of spekers.

On the last page is written 2 channels and format but after plug into reciver the number of channels is changed dynamically.

If you have notebook with spdif and receiver you can see.

This looks like that.

2. My receiver have the last firmware and everything works properly

Sorry for my english And thank U in advice.

1.jpg

• 5. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
                  Zack_K

Hi piturski,

I have my system set up with a receiver and everything. I would like you to try something and let me know what you see:

1. Go to the speaker setup configuration and make sure it's configured to 5.1 surround sound.

2. Go back to it and click "stereo" but NOT "next." Instead, click test and watch your receiver.

What I've been seeing is that doing this changes my receiver to "stereo" then back to surround sound, but when I try other stereo sounds online, it doesn't switch to stereo but stays at surround sound while only playing on the stereo speakers. I want to see if it's the same type of issue you are seeing.

You mentioned in your original post that you "can use dolby prologic decoder to mix stereo to surround sound." Do you have that on a file or a link so that I can test it further? It would help me try to see what you are seeing.

Thank you,

Zack_K

• 6. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
                    piturski

Hi Zack

"What I've been seeing is that doing this changes my receiver to "stereo" then back to surround sound, but when I try other stereo sounds online, it doesn't switch to stereo but stays at surround sound while only playing on the stereo speakers. I want to see if it's the same type of issue you are seeing."

-Yes exactly the same. This is what I mean.

"You mentioned in your original post that you "can use dolby prologic decoder to mix stereo to surround sound." Do you have that on a file or a link so that I can test it further? It would help me try to see what you are seeing."

- I don't understand You in 100%. I guess is that you want audio or wideo file like mp3,flac, mkv,m2ts,wmv avi to test this prologic decoder.

It is not necessary.

I'll explain you what I mean precisely the decoder

If the receiver has a stereo source(youtube,PC stereo games even file in dolby digital 2.0) you can use: straight or sur. decode

-> straight (native/untouched/clean stereo sound from two spekers (front right and front left))

-> sur. decode (expand stereo source to 5.1, but  it is possible to activate the sur. decode receiver must know that it is stereo and not 5.1 because if the source is 5.1 this is impossible because it is nonsense. So You not need special files to try activate dolby prologic, you need normal stereo files like youtube, mp3. The most important is correct signal.

Sorry for my english

2.jpg

• 7. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
                      piturski

Hi Zack,

Is there any chance to improve driver?

When can I expect them?

• 8. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
                        piturski

Hi Zack,

Is there any chance to improve driver?

When can I expect them?

• 9. Re: Problem with Native (Straight) Sound via HDMI
                          sylvia_intel

Piturski, this issue was reported to our engineers. You would be able to get additional information about this on this thread.

This situation is still under investigation. https://communities.intel.com/message/218663

Just in case, there is a user that has suggested using a HDMI switch, you may want to try that also.