1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 10:55 AM by joe_intel

USB 3.0 and SSD speed in Windows 7

Mr_Wolf

Hi all!

I was making some tests regarding the speed of my internal SSD and of USB 3.0 on my notebook (Asus N76VZ) with installed Windows 7 64 bit, using CrystalDiskMark.

My SSD is a Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB. Here are the results of the test (mine are on the right, compared with some found on the Internet)

SamsungMZ-7PD128BW840ProSeries128GBSSD_zps9b668d43.jpg

There's quite a difference.

About the USB 3.0, I tested a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB pen drive, and here are the results (mine are always on the right) :

SanDiskSDCZ88-128G-G46ExtremePro128GBUSB30Flashdrive_zpsb6afa2af.jpg

Also.in this case, there's a considerable difference.

I then tried the same speed tests on the same devices in Windows 8 64 bit (which was pre-installed in my notebook).

Here are the results for the SSD:

Windows8-SamsungMZ-7PD128BW840ProSeries128GBSSD_zpsd2610501.png

and here are for the pen drive:

Windows8_zps424dffd4.jpg

I was absolutely abstonished. I searched high and low, but I couldn't find an answer to explain this big differences between the results in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

As regards the USB 3.0, I can only say the drivers in Windows 7 are Intel, while Windows 8 supports natively USB 3.0 and the drivers are Microsoft.

Don't you think I want to blame Intel for this - I'm just looking for an explanation.

Anyone can tell me if there are known limitations in Windows 7 about the USB 3.0 and the SATA speed or whatever?

Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: USB 3.0 and SSD speed in Windows 7
          joe_intel

Hi Mr_Wolf, please make sure you have all basic drivers installed in Windows* 7; such as Intel® Chipset Device Driver, Intel® Management Engine and latest BIOS. All these files can be downloaded from the system manufacturer’s website as well as the USB 3.0 driver.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=N76VZ

We also provide a different version of the USB 3.0 driver; just make sure the other one is uninstalled first.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

Intel provides generic drivers that may not work with some computer models due to customization from the manufacturer; therefore, we strongly recommend getting the drivers and software from the computer manufacturer as they have tested them with your system.

In regards of the SSD the best suggestion is to contact the manufacturer for assistance since they should be able to provide you with recommendations to optimize the performance; such as firmware updates, superfetch/prefetch configuration or others.