3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 7:39 AM by sylvia_intel

Move RAID to new Dell XPS

Joe.Sottile

I have a Dell XPS 8300 with Intel RAID, and have configured two RAID 1 volumes: 1 for System and 1 for Data, each volume using 2 2T drives. Windows 7 is installed and running. I just bought a Dell XPS 8700 -- faster CPU speed, more RAM, and it also includes Intel RAID. I want to move the disks onto the new machine and retain the RAID configuration and the contents. I have a backup, but I think it will be much less work if I can just put the existing configured RAID volumes into the new system without having to re-format the disks and reinstall and restore the backup.

Everything I have read suggests that this is not possible -- plugging ANY disk into the machine and setting up RAID will wipe out the disk contents.

I can't be the first person in the history of computing who wants to do this kind of upgrade. I expect that, since both systems are Dell and both use the same Intel RAID that there SHOULD be a way to put the disks into service and get the RAID operating without reformatting, rebuilding the RAID and restoring from the backup.

Is there a way to do this? Or am I going to have to take the long route and restore from a backup?

Anyone at Intel with the intel?

The specified item was not found.

~Joe

• 1. Re: Move RAID to new Dell XPS
          MohamedAlsayed

hi joe,

i've done something similar in the past.  It's mostly doable but you should not boot from the original system raid array, as you may risk losing the data.  You need to use a new drive (or raid array) on the new system and install the operating system on it.  And make sure intel rst and all other chipset drivers are installed.

Then move both old arrays to the new system and configure the arrays in the uefi bios exactly the way they were on the old system.  Boot into the OS and you should be able to open the arrays and use the files.  The old system array will not be bootable, but you can copy any needed files from it this way.

Might be a good idea to google the exact steps involved, or wait for confirmation from an intel representative just in case.  The above is what I can recall from a similar move I made around 4 years ago.

regards,

M

• 2. Re: Move RAID to new Dell XPS
            Joe.Sottile

So it sounds like the folks who designed the BIOS totally forgot about hardware replacement. In a fault-tolerant environment, it makes no sense to have fault-tolerant disks that can be replaced in the event of failure if the fault occurs in something other than the disk subsystem. If I were designing a firmware interface, and left a huge, gaping hole in the design, I would expect other engineers to shame me into doing the right thing. I sure hope that Intel didn't make this big a blunder.

• 3. Re: Move RAID to new Dell XPS
              sylvia_intel

Hello Joe, thanks a lot for posting your inquire at Intel communities.

I see you bought a new computer and you would like to move the existing RAID volumes to it.

I would like to tell you that as long as the other computers support the same Raid configuration it will be possible to move the arrays.  It is important that the arrays needs to be for storage only.

If the second RAID 1 is bootable, it may or may not work on the new computer since the operating system was install on a specific chipset, therefore you might get a blue screen and it will be necessary to install the OS again.

For the storage array, you would need to set the computer on RAID mode and boot to the OS. You do not have to set the RAID on the Ctrl+I menu.

I suggest you checking with Dell, if the chipset of these computers support the same RAID configuration.

Additional information could be found at the following URL Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) — Moving a RAID volume to a different system    

I hope this help you, if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our technical support team. Contact Support    

Regards,