Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel 4600 graphic drivers cause gamma issues

MGros7
Novice

Hello,

i own an Asus n550jk, intel i7 4800hq with integrated intel4600 graphics and Nvidia gtx850m.

I've noticed that my screen does not represents "blacks" and "whites" in the right manner.

Whites are too bright and blacks too dark. It's like if the drivers doesn't handle gamma and colours properly, and my images results altered.

To make a specific examples if i look closely at the "notepad" icon, the tiny lines of the icon are barely visible, and this is strange, cause on another computer (desktop, acer, 3 years old), the icon is showed in the right manner (sharp blue coloured lines). On several pictures, i can also notice that "greys" loose a lot of details because of this gamma issue.

So i decided to format everything and make a clean installation, and, voilà, gamma is now working, but when i install the intel 4600 drivers (i need it!), everything turns wrong again.

I am sure that the problem is related to the intel's drivers because i've also tried to install only the nvidia gtx's drivers, and everything was working good.

I've also tried to use older intel's graphic drivers but without any result. The last test i made was to install both Intel's and Nvidia's drivers, and then uninstall the intel's drivers, and even in that case the gamma started to works again.

I tried to tweak a bit with the graphic panel, but of course nothing happens. It's like if gamma is altered BEFORE the panel could actually affect it.

I'm a digital artist, and this kind of problem is causing me serious throubles with gamma and colours, since all of my editing softwares (Photoshop, After Effect, 3D studio max etc etc) are affected by it.

I've also contacted Asus, they only suggested me to update the bios (done), and remove a specific application (Asus Splendid), that was causing some brightness bugs, but problem still persists.

What can i do?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MGros7
Novice

I forgot to mention that I am under Windows 8.1, intel graphic driver version is 10.18.10.3574.

PUsik1
Beginner

Yes, I have the same problem on my Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 laptop with Windows 8 (with all windows and drivers updates automaticcaly installed).

(And, dear Moderators, I don't know why my topic about this problem was closed. Can you tell me?)

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Graphics community.

I understand you are experiencing some color quality with Intel® HD Graphics 4600.

I recommend testing the latest video drivers version 3907 and let us know your findings.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng&ProdId=3720 Intel® Download Center

Allan.

PUsik1
Beginner

I've installed new drivers. Gamma issue seems to be solved on my laptop. Thank you a lot!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I'm glad it has been addressed. That sounds so much better.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MGros7
Novice

Nope, sorry but still not working properly.

Yes, it is a BIT better, but absolutely too far from the standard. I've also noticed that gamma changes when i switch between different applications/folders.

This is the first and last laptop/desktop with a second integrated intel graphic card that i'll buy.

If you have any other ideas, i'am all ears.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the update.

Allan.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Matteo, Did you see the issue on the ASUS system right out of the box?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
MGros7
Novice

Hi Robert,

yes, as soon as I've started checking how pictures were looking on the new laptop, comparing to my old computer's monitor, I've immediately noticed that gamma was completely different.

I am not talking about different tones, or hue, or brightness, but about how the image is visualized. A lot of black and white informations were lost.

As I've also said, I formatted the hard disk and runned a clean windows 8 installation , WITHOUT drivers or any sort or add on, and the gamma was just looking fine, apparently.

The problem occurs when I install the necessary intel's drivers.

I've also noticed that the windows notepad icon's gamma changes after driver's installation (after rebooting).

Any ideas?

I'm quite sure that i can also provide screenshots, as i think this issues is driven by software, not the panel, so it should be visible on every other monitor, like if the image is just altered at the basis.

I will try to do that soon.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Matteo, could you provide screen captures of the issue such as what you are seeing with Notepad? We cannot see the issue as we understand it and screen captures may help us.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos