3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 11:53 AM by sylvia_intel

NM10 & N10

GMNeedsHelp

I have limited computer knowledge so please bear with me on this.

We have been buying computers from overseas and installing Ubuntu 12.04.  When we perform a "lspci" we get the following:

Computer Type #1:

Host bridge:  DRAM Controller (rev 04)

VGA Compatible Controller:  Integrated Graphics (rev 06)

Audio device:  Intel NM10/ICH7 Audio Controller (rev 02)

PCI bridge: Intel NM10/ICH7  Express Port (1, 3, & 4) (rev 02)

USB controller: Intel NM10/ICH7 UHCI Controller #(1, 2, 3, & 4) (rev 02)

Computer Type #2:

Host bridge:  DRAM Controller (rev 03)

VGA Compatible Controller:  Integrated Graphics (rev 09)

Audio device:  Intel N10/ICH7 Audio Controller (rev 02)

PCI bridge: Intel N10/ICH7  Express Port (1, 3, & 4) (rev 02)

USB controller: Intel N10/ICH7 UHCI Controller #(1, 2, 3, & 4) (rev 02)

Computer Type#3:

Host bridge:  DRAM Controller (rev 04)

VGA Compatible Controller:  Integrated Graphics (rev 06)

Audio device:  Intel N10/ICH7 Audio Controller (rev 02)

PCI bridge: Intel N10/ICH7  Express Port (1, 3, & 4) (rev 02)

USB controller: Intel N10/ICH7 UHCI Controller #(1, 2, 3, & 4) (rev 02)

Computer Type #1 (two units) worked fine.  We could image between the two Type #1 units)

Computer Type #2 did worked fine until we upgraded the OS from the original Ubuntu 9.  Computer Type #2 worked fine on 12.04 after being returned from the manufacturer who replaced the mother board.  We were unable to image between Computers Types #1 and #2.  Have not tried imaging between Types #1 & #2 since #2 was returned.  In fact, have not performed "lspci" on #2 since it was return.

Computer Type #3 is what the manufacturer wants to deliver against a new order.

Can someone please explain why some computers show N10 and some show NM10... and what the difference is?  Manufacture claims that there is no difference.  I am also asking for advice as to wether or not to accept delivery Computer #3 (three units).

• 1. Re: NM10 & N10
          sylvia_intel

Hello GMNeedsHelp, thanks a lot for posting your inquire at Intel communities.

I would like to tell you that there is no difference between the NM10 and the N10 chipset.  The N10 could be the way the operating system is seeing the chipset of your system.

For example, when looking for the N10 on our website ark.intel.com, it won’t come up. Instead of the N10, the system will show you the NM10 chipset. ARK | Intel® NM10 Express Chipset (Intel® CG82NM10 PCH)    

While Intel has not tested and validated our motherboards with any Linux flavor, we know that other customers have successfully installed it.

• 2. Re: NM10 & N10
            GMNeedsHelp

Sylvia,

Thank you very much.  I have forwarded your response to the computer supplier who has been saying all along… precisely what you have just verified.

This puts our Sys Admin in the position of having to figure out what it’s going to take to to make all the machines load the OS the same.

Greg

• 3. Re: NM10 & N10
              sylvia_intel

You are more than welcome