2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 5:23 PM by Intel_Alvarado

Where to start for linux/python scripting and Galileo

jls32

I am looking to make a standalone USB drive syncing tool using the intel Galileo board.

The idea is that you plug in your backup drive in a specified USB port, then plug in the USB drive to be synced/backed up in a different port.

I want there to be a button on the device that lights up green when both drives are mounted and ready to be synced. The user will then press the button and file transfer/sync will begin. There will be a different light that flashes or lights green upon completion of the transfer and successful unmounting.

My question is where to start with this? I know minimal Bash scripting, and not really any python, other than the standard helloworld.py.

Somehow I want to have a script recognize a drive is connected, based on which physical port it is in, and send a signal to light up a LED. The user button press will in turn send a signal to the linux program prompting it to start the syncing.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to begin this project??

Thank you

• 1. Re: Where to start for linux/python scripting and Galileo
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi jls32,

Your project seems to be very interesting but I think you have to read a lot of documentation before start it, like in every other project, so I will recommend you some docs/sites to start.

1. First, for start on Python I recommend you the official site where are documentation and forums to share your ideas and get suggestions: Python Official Site. The advantage is that you can find many other sites about Python easily because many users love programming on Python.

2. About Bash scripting I will recommend you this document: Bash Guide for Beginners. It is a guide for beginners where you can find all the bases to start doing interesting things. Again, the advantage here is that you can find a lot of documentation about Bash because it is open source.

3. Now, you have to read and research about the USB protocol and master/slave devices. It will help you to understand better how to do your project. Don't worry if you can't understand everything, you only need to have a basic idea on how the protocol works.

4. Finally, in the Arduino Software IDE 1.5.3 there is a couple examples about USB so I recommend you to try them to start using the Galileo Board. If you don't have the IDE yet you can download it from here: Software Downloads. Also I encourage you to navigate in the community to find more information, there are users who did projects with USB devices so you might find something useful for you.

I hope these suggestions be helpful for you to start the project. Have a nice day and remember to share your results with the community!

Regards,

Diego.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where to start for linux/python scripting and Galileo
            Intel_Alvarado

Hi

We are following up on your post Where to start for linux/python scripting and Galileo and we would like to know if you still need help or if you already have an answer or solution to your question. Remember if someone replied to you with a helpful response you can mark it as correct or helpful answered. We will be waiting your response. Have a great day.
            Regards,

Sergio