6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 12:50 PM by JPMontero_Intel

missing kernel module

gravspeed

i have sucessfully installed debian 7.6, got most everything working (i think) but i am missing a kernel module, uinput.

module-assistant installed nice and easy, but it doesn't have uinput as an option (probably because: "E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-3.8.7-yocto-standard")

is it possible to slide this module in somehow or do i have to build a whole new kernel?

• 1. Re: missing kernel module
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi gravspeed

Could you let us know the steps you followed to determine that the module is missing? Also please attach the full log.

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: missing kernel module
            gravspeed

trying to initialize xboxdrv (is supposed to support my gamepad) withe this command

• xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_Logitech_Dual_Action_A149AD7C-event-joystick --evdev-absmap ABS_X=x1,ABS_Y=y1,ABS_RZ=x2,ABS_Z=y2,ABS_HAT0X=dpad_x,ABS_HAT0Y=dpad_y --axismap -Y1=Y1,-Y2=Y2 --evdev-keymap BTN_TRIGGER=x,BTN_TOP=y,BTN_THUMB=a,BTN_THUMB2=b,BTN_BASE3=back,BTN_BASE4=start,BTN_BASE=lt,BTN_BASE2=rt,BTN_TOP2=lb,BTN_PINKIE=rb,BTN_BASE5=tl,BTN_BASE6=tr --mimic-xpad --silent

returns:

-- [ ERROR ] ------------------------------------------------------

Error: No stuitable uinput device found, tried:

/dev/input/uinput: No such file or directory

/dev/uinput: No such file or directory

/dev/misc/uinput: No such file or directory

Troubleshooting:

* make sure uinput kernel module is loaded

* make sure joydev kernel module is loaded

* make sure you have permissions to access the uinput device

* start the driver with ./xboxdrv -v --no-uinput to see if the driver itself works

also lsmod doesn't show uinput or joydev

• 3. Re: missing kernel module
              gravspeed

so i got my hands on a ps3 controller and bluetooth module, i don't need joydev anymore (at least nothign is asking for it yet) , but i still need uinput. i'm am trying to start the sixaxis built from source...

# sixad --start

FATAL: Module uinput not found.

# modprobe uinput

FATAL: Module uinput not found.

if i google "3.8.7-yocto-standard uinput" i get this post, so... does a uinput module exist for this kernel?

• 4. Re: missing kernel module
                Paridhi_Agrawal

Hi All,

Can someone suggest how do I get missing "uinput" module on iot-devkit image?

Thanks

--Paridhi

• 5. Re: missing kernel module
                  Paridhi_Agrawal

Can anyone help on this?

• 6. Re: missing kernel module
                    JPMontero_Intel

Hi Paridhi_Agrawal,

I believe there are no packages for uinput module in Galileo as far as I understand. Since it is a kernel module you need to build a custom image by following the steps indicated in this blog http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog/intelgalileo-buildinglinuximage . You would also need to find a layer that includes uinput, and copy it into meta-clanton_v1.0.1. Once the layer is copied, you need to add it to the list of layers in the file meta-clanton_v1.0.1/build/conf/bblayers.conf, add it in a new line below meta-clanton-bps by following the same format of the other layers. Then add the packages you need in meta-clanton_v1.0.1/build/conf/local.conf as mentioned in the guide. And then to configure kernel use bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig. In case you are not sure how layers look like check at this link that includes several open embedded recipes . I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,
                    JPMontero_Intel