2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 10:33 PM by MadCross

Intel HD 4000 Graphics Card on Windows 8.1

MadCross

Greetings,

I have wandering around the web trying to figure out why this laptop has trouble trying to run Unreal Tournament 99.

I have looked at all my specs and am having trouble trying to work out why this wont seem to run without major issues. The only thing I can think of is the dedicated memory... Is there a way to change this setting under windows 8.1?

Thanks

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
      ManufacturerIntel
      Speed1.8 GHz
      Number of Cores4
      Video CardIntel(R) HD Graphics 4000
      ManufacturerIntel
      ChipsetIntel(R) HD Graphics 4000
      Dedicated Memory32 MB
      Total Memory1.8 GB
      Memory4.0 GB
      Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit
      Service Pack0
      Size64 Bit
      EditionBasic
        • 1. Re: Intel HD 4000 Graphics Card on Windows 8.1

Hello MadCross

Let me help you with this.

Note that the Intel® graphics controllers uses shared memory that is taken from the RAM memory installed on your computer.

The feature that sets the amount of memory that is used for video is called Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology and this will make the graphics controller only to use the amount of RAM memory that it requires to run the different applications or software’s.

I am afraid to say that there is no way to preset this to a specific value; however, you can limit the maximum memory that it can take only. You will see this option usually in BIOS and you will have 3 options, 128MB, 256MB and maximum DVMT. Other values can be found as 512MB, etc but this depends on the motherboard manufacturer and the amount of RAM memory installed on your computer.

Just in case you can also try updating the graphics driver to latest for your controller. Here is the download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng&ProdId=3720

Kevin M

• 2. Re: Intel HD 4000 Graphics Card on Windows 8.1
            MadCross

Hi Kevin_intel,

I have tried updating my graphics device drivers only to get a error message, I then did more research to find that I need to contact the manufacturer since my laptop is was using pre installed drivers, after downloading the driver from Acer and installing that one I am yet to try any of the first step procedures (going back into the bios and seeing if I can then change the maximum memory)... yet now I cant seem to update the graphics device at all...

None the less Thankyou for your time