Hello Boday, I am moving this thread to the correct community to they can help you solving your issue.
Thank you. But actually it seems the problem is more related to the nuc itself, because...
As I did a few more test today, I found when I install the wireless card into one of my laptop, it works perfectly fine when I put it at the same position in my home - even better reception than the Atheros one came with the laptop.
So the problem is on the nuc side.
Let me help you with this. All the information you have provided is very helpful for us to understand and have a clear picture of issue you are facing with the product.
Testing the adapter on another system is definitely the best step to discard issues with the card but I would like you to try some other steps:
- I understand you have installed the latest BIOS version but just in case do a BIOS recovery with the latest version again. Here is the download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24269
- Try uninstalling the Wireless driver from Device manager and download it again:
- For testing purposes, try disabling the UAPSD feature. Here you have information in how to do it:
- Try setting the Channel Bonding option on the driver option set for 20 MHz. Check this link for more information:
For testing purposes, you can also try using the NUC near the Router you have and let us know how it goes.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. My test results are as follow:
1. I did a recovery of the bios again and found somehow the one I flashed last time was not the latest one, but was the one back in July - still much newer than the original one though...Anyway, after upgrading the bios the problem is still there.
2. I uninstall and delete the driver files and did a re-installation. No improvement.
3. This is a Advanced-N 6235 card which doesn't support U-APSD.
4. Tried to restrict the channel width of band 5.2 to only 20 MHz. No improvement.
5. Tried to open a hotspot with my phone and put it right next to the nuc, did a speed test, and it can do 20 mbps for both upload and download, which seems good.
A side note of the speed limit: it seems that only the download speed is severely reduced.
I did the same speed tests (provided by the local ISP) in my office and at home, and in both tests upload speed were as expected (full speed, even over a relatively long distance), but download speed were limited: 1 mbps instead of 2 mbps in the office (AP is two meters away), and 0.3 mbps instead of 20 mbps at home (router is about 8 meters away as described in the original post above).
Thank you for the feedback.
Testing connection speed with online internet speed test is not the best option to get the transfer rate of the wireless card.
The download speed depends on the internet connection provided by the ISP which also can be limited by them. The easiest way to check the Wireless adapter transfer rate is to transfer a file between two computers on your local wireless (without internet) doing a peer to peer. You can refer to this link:
NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.
You can also try these steps:
- Go into BIOS Setup.
- Under the Power > Secondary Power Settings menu, disable the option called ASPM Enable Control.
- Press F10 to save and exit.
>Testing connection speed with online internet speed test is not the best option to get the transfer rate of the wireless card.
Yes I know, but as the difference is so obvious when testing at the same time and the same place, I think it's good enough to show the signal reception is quite weak.
>You can also try these steps:
I have tried this already but there was little improvement if at all.
Since it was still within a month I took the device back to the retailer and got changed for a new one. I tested the new one and found that the performance is basically the same. So I think that this should be a general issue.