Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

17.1.0 wifi adapter disabled after sleep

GDuru
Novice

Installed 17.1.0 driver couple of days ago. Every time my laptop comes out of sleep the wifi adapter is not present in Network &Sharing center. I have to go to device manager where the adapter has a yellow sign saying it doesn't work correctly and windows disabled it. If I enable the device, it works fine until the next time it goes to sleep.

Reverting back to 17.0.6 driver fixed the problem.

Lenovo U430 Touch, Win 8.1, 7260 Wireless-N

0 Kudos
30 Replies
AGrev
Beginner

Same. I also get a message that Windows detected a problem with the wireless adapter and shut it down. Error 43. Windows 8.1, driver 17.1.0.19. Works fine if system shut down, but adapter has an issue with sleep mode.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Sometimes the Code 43 requires a quick but complete power cycle, removing all power after shutdown. Other users have reported better results with 17.0.6.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you waves for sharing your results. Hopefully it will help other users too.

0 Kudos
TKIss
Beginner

The same problem occur for me on windows 7. After sleep windows disable the driver, needed to roll back the previous driver where at least it more or less working.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Disabling uAPSD has helped other users with connectivity issues.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034875.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Access Point interoperability issue with uAPSD

A similar topic is discussed here:

0 Kudos
RGruv
Beginner

I have an ASUS G73JW running Win 7 SP 1. I also am having a problem with my newly installed AC7260 with 17.1.0 drivers wakening up after hibernate. I have to reset the 7260 to get it working. My bios is the latest available. I did stumble on the strange fact that when I wake up the computer on battery power, the card doesn't need to be reset and is ready to go. If I have the computer plugged in and I wake it, the card reset is required to get it working. Any ideas on why this is?

0 Kudos
ecomb2
Beginner

On 17.0.6 my driver would randomly stop working with my Google Fiber, and the only solution was to unplug all my Google Fiber stuff for 10 seconds and then plug it all back in. I would say it was a Google problem, because a router reset was the only solution, but all my other devices worked fine (HTC One Android phone, Sony smart tv, Xbox, iPad, etc).

This driver hasn't been out long enough for this to occur again, but it's either deal with this new issue or the old one? What kind of a solution is this from a company as big as Intel? I guess it's fitting because they're so big they just don't care, but if they keep this attitude up they'll fail. I know in the future I'm going to do everything I can to avoid an Intel wireless adapter.

0 Kudos
BD7
Beginner

Same thing here. Installed the 17.1.0 driver on Windows 8.1 64-bit (in a T440s), and then I kept getting code 43 upon resuming from sleep. I then uninstalled all Intel wifi and BT drivers, reinstalled the latest ones for the card, and had the same issue.

The older driver (17.0.something) wasn't dropping out (Windows set to not allow the card to be turned off), but still didn't maintain good speed.

Really Intel, how difficult is it to put out a working driver for the card? (It's been on the market for, what, a year now?) And I have yet to get it to connect to my phone over bluetooth (galaxy nexus) so much as a single time - nothing more than the pairing codes, and success but not establishing a connection. I have a 4 or 5 year old laptop with an older Intel draft N card (Wifi link 5100 maybe?), and I get significantly better speeds on my wifi N router than I do on the 7260AC. Heck, I've seen the 7260AC bottleneck my internet connection at times - reporting ~25mbps instead of the 50mbps or so comcast bursts to. And that older computer connected to the phone via BT just fine on the first try. That said, I'm running 16.5.3.6 (which Windows 8.1 automatically installed) on the 7260AC for now, which at least isn't bottlenecking the internet. And I did manage to sleep the computer without the wifi dropping upon resuming.

0 Kudos
BMcDo4
Beginner

Here are my findings:

I have been having similar problems with the AC7260 as everyone else when waking from sleep and powering on. The only way I could get wireless to work after a boot or after waking from sleep was to right click on the wireless icon in the systray>Open Network and Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings: then right click on the AC7260 adapter and Disable/Enable. Once I did that it all seemed to work fine. I had to do this every time I booted or waking my laptop from sleet.

In an attempt to fix this I installed the latest drivers from the site v.17.1.0. This only made the situation worse. Now on boot the adapter was completely missing when I went to change adapter settings. I had to go into the device manager to find it and it had errors. I could then enable from here and it seemed to work. On boot I pulled these errors from the event log and thought it may help shed some light on what is going on:

NETwNb64: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

NETwNb64: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

NDIS: Miniport Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, {83079d22-ae82-4800-9a93-27739f60a4a4}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has failed a power transition to operational power

I travel all over the place with my laptop and routinely connect to about 3 or 4 different access points every week. The behavior is the same no matter where I connect. I tried reverting to 17.0.6 which one user said works. So far I am able to reconnect when I wake from sleep. Granted, I just installed this older driver so I will keep an eye on it and report back here.

Update 9/11/2014

I have successfully been connected after sleep a number of times with the 17.0.6 drivers but I still need to disable/enable the adapter on boot. It is in a perpetual state of "identifying the network". The second I disable and enable it connects just fine.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may update the BIOS or contact the system manufacturer due to the nature of this issue.

0 Kudos
BD7
Beginner

I installed the latest BIOS for my t440s very soon after getting it, and that's still the latest BIOS available as of checking right now. I don't think that's the issue.

0 Kudos
AGros3
Novice

I see the same issue on my XPS 15-9530 laptop running Windows 8.1 Update x64. I have a fully patched BIOS (version A06) and disabled u-APSD then rebooted, but still see the issue. I posted Event Viewer logs here:

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may get the newer version 17.12 from your http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer's website.

0 Kudos
ecomb2
Beginner

A better link would be helpful. I went to my manufacturer's website, Lenovo, and they don't have an updated version so I searched your website and the newest driver available is 17.1.0. I've become accustomed to disabling and reenabling my wireless card, and I honestly just keep device manager minimized, but is a poor effort on Intel's part to let this go on for so long without a proper fix.

RNiss
Beginner

joe_intel wrote:

You may get the newer version 17.12 from your http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer's website.

Ummm, no. I followed your link and then clicked through to Lenovo's downloads page for the Yoga 2 Pro. Their most recent version for the 7260 adapter is 17.0.3. The most recent driver Intel's drivers page shows for Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is 17.1.1406.01!

In several Yoga 2 Pros, I replaced the flaky, factory-installed Intel 7260 Wireless-N 7260 (single-band) adapter with its http://www.mfactors.com/7260ngw-intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-802-11ac-dual-band-2x2-wi-fi-bluetooth-4-0/ Dual Band Wireless-AC sibling and simultaneously installed the latest drivers available from Intel (17.1.0.19) at the time. For one of the Yogas, I started experiencing the problem the OP and lancia12 reported (same behavior and event logs). Today, on the problem laptop, I downgraded the driver to 17.0.6 as suggested by the OP. Very basic tests suggest the problem has at least diminished. I'll wait to hear from the user...

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The version 17.1.1406.01 is for Bluetooth*. Let me give you the latest versions:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds036007 Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, 11bgn, 11ac) for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad - Lenovo Support …

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

0 Kudos
BD7
Beginner

I'm running 17.12. No drops or code 43's, but speeds are still pathetic compared to other cards (802.11n anyway). I just got 93.3mbps down/86.6mbps up on my uni's internet using on a wifi link 5100 (HP 6530b), while getting 36mbps down/55mbps up on a t440s with 7260AC sitting next to it. Testing to the same server. Come on Intel, is it really too much to ask to have a wifi driver that works well enough to at least be comparable to a, what, 6 year old card from the same company? Oh, and I've gone through tons of driver revisions on the t440s that all had some bug or another, while the 5100 just worked right out of the box on Win7 (even before any updates were installed), and I have yet to see a single problem from it. Haven't even bothered to load a driver from Intel's site on that one, and haven't needed to. As in, speedtesting over the 5100 made me realize that 802.11n was actually capable of some pretty decent speeds in realistic use. If it weren't for BIOS whitelists, I'd probably replace the 7260AC with a different card (that actually works) and throw the 7260AC in a fire.

0 Kudos
BD7
Beginner

Well, wait a minute - if I disable U-APSD and windows power saving (ability to turn off device), then I can get 802.11n speeds comparable to my 5 year old laptop (with a draft-N card). Good to know, although I wish manufacturers would figure out that adding power saving features and breaking things in the process is a bad idea. Heck, I've seen carts full of realtek 802.11n cards that would constantly drop connections with the APs we use in the school district unless power saving (ability to turn off device) was disabled. Seriously?

0 Kudos
BMcDo4
Beginner

I've been on a quest to figure out why this card sucks so bad. I think a big part of the problems lie with the card/router combination. For the last few months I have owned/tried; Linksys: WRT1900AC, EA6400, EA6350; Netgear: R6250 and R7000; Asus AC2400; Belkin F9K1113.

Here is a quick summary of what I have found-

Linksys

WRT1900AC - the 2.4GHz channel would drop constantly. I thought the one I bought was just defective so I bought another. This one dropped the 2.4GHz channel as well. This one had the best range but I noticed some staggering while I was playing online games. It just seemed a bit sluggish. The link speed was pretty good but ultimately took it back.

EA6400 - the range was terrible and it also dropped the 2.4 channel. I took it back

EA6350 - Link speed was terrible. I couldn't connect to the router above 300Mbps. It would initially connect at 866.7 but would drop down to 292.7 and rarely got over 300 if ever. I took it back.

Netgear

R6250 - There were so many routers that I can't remember the specifics of why I took this back.

R7000 - This one is the only router that would consistently keep a strong link speed. It is what I am using currently and will report back if I end up taking it back but I think I may stick with it.

Asus

AC2400 - this is one of the most expensive units on the market. the link speeds seemed to fluctuate and I would rank this as the third best I have used. I still have this but will most likely take it back

Belkin

1200AC - this is my second best. very basic but had all the features you need. Link speed was fairly constant around 700Mbps. If the Netgear doesn't work out, I will probably stick with this one. For $100 I think this is probably the best bang for the buck.

Ultimately I think this Intel card is finicky and flaky. I think the real solution is to replace the card because it shouldn't be this difficult to keep a steady high speed link. This combined with the fact that it doesn't connect after wakeup and the other connection issues makes replacement of the card the only real solution.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

The card plays together very well with my TP-Link Archer D7.

0 Kudos