Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Playing 4k 3840x2160 HEVC/H.265 video clips smoothly with Intel HD4600 graphic possible?

idata
Employee

Is there any way of playing 4k 3840x2160 HEVC video clips with the Intel HD4600 graphic smoothly without ANY judder?

I have a pretty fast PC... ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 Intel Core i7-4790K (iGPU HD4600 graphic) and the Dell 4k UP3214Q monitor

PowerDVD 14 and the MPC-HC player with Strongene Lentoid HEVC Decoder can play it but not without some judder (CPU usage is about 60-80%)

Is it possible to optimize the Intel HD4600 graphic to be able to play HEVC/H.265 video completely smoothly, or do I need to buy a better video card???

0 Kudos
24 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Klas

What clips are you seeing the issue on? Is there a link to the clip that I can download and see the issue? Also, I am guessing you are using the 3910 driver, correct?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes I use that driver

Some 4k clips plays very easy, others like this fotboll clip not (se link) and click on the blue telecharger to download

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=42 http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=42

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The question is... does/or will intel HD 4600 graphics have the capability of hardware acceleration of HEVC/h.265 or could there come some software decoder that also works???

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Klas

I am looking into the issue and will get back to you.

Also, found a good read on CNET on this very subject that you may find interesting.

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hevc-high-efficiency-video-coding-h-265-and-4k-compression-explained/ What is HEVC? High Efficiency Video Coding, H.265, and 4K compression explained - CNET

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Has any one been able to play those 4k HEVC/h.265 clips 100% smoothly with intel HD 4600, or intel 5200 graphic???

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

If Strongene's OpenCL decoder doesn't work for you, you have to forget GPU assisted HW acceleration and concentrate on pure SW solutions for now, till other GPU assisted solutions come up.

The fastest SW decoder right now, is the latest LAV video x64 nightly build version and possibly other FFMpeg based versions, always in x64.

You have to search a little to find that version or wait for MPC-HC x64 to adopt it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nikos!

Do you also have intel HD 4600 graphic? are you able to play HEVC/h.265 clips 100% smoothly like the one I linked to in post nr 2 higher up on this page ?

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

Using latest nightly build of MPC-HC x64 from here http://nightly.mpc-hc.org/ MPC-HC Nightly Builds you will see CPU usage of almost any 4K HEVC going down below <40% without using HD4600 iGPU (software only solution), with your system (Core i7-4790K)

But the specific files from that page you suggest, it seems to have encoding/muxing problems, because they obviously have a small judder during playback. (a repeatedly spasmodic movement of picture, after a few seconds of normal playback each time)

Try some other 4K HEVC clips or try to transcode/ remux to different formats those clips, maybe using some filters.

Both decoders (Strongene's OpenCL and LAV Video) have the same problem, so I think is the source not the decoders.

NNiko6
New Contributor I

Well, it seems that even after the release of the first DXVA HW decoder, the problem still remains unresolved.

After further investigation, it seems that although PowerDVD 14, FFMpeg based CPU decoders (LAV Video, PotPlayer), Strongene's HEVC decoder and even FFMpeg DXVA HW decoder for Intel and Nvidia FAIL to decode it correctly, the problem might not be in the encoding and the clip itself, but in the decoders.

Because there is one video decoder capable of playing that clip, without stuttering and it's the Nvidia CUVID decoder.

So, it's definitely not a performance issue, but rather a decoder's issue that can be resolved right now, if you have a Kepler or Maxwell Nvidia card, preferably with a lot of 3D performance, because DXVA and CUVID decoders are based on shaders and not fixed-function hardware.

I guess there will be a fix for the decoders mentioned above, unless for some reason, the problem is the encoding in a way technically difficult to be understood right now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you fiddle a little with the latests MPC-HC 1.7.7-128-X64 players settings and using the new 15.36.8.3977 INTEL Drivers, I can play the "UHD_Soccer 1_Barcelona_Atletico Madrid" clip at full 3840x2160p resolution without any stutter at all on the Dell 4k monitor

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

I tried MPC-HC x64 v1.7.7.128 with latest official drivers for Haswell v3960 and still stutters.

Where did you find v3977 drivers ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

see link

But also the exact right settings in MPC-HC is needed, but dont ask me what they are!

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/outils/Drivers/Intel/HD--and--Iris-Graphics/Serie-15.36.x/Intel-HD--and--Iris-Graphics-Drivers-Version-15.36.8.3977-WHQL/ Intel HD & Iris Graphics Drivers Version 15.36.8.3977 WHQL

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

I downloaded the installer from that link, but after the decompression of the setup.exe didn't work.

I have a Core i7-4790 and the app said that I don't have the right processor for that installer.

Nevermind I'll wait from Intel to publish it officially (that or a newer)

What are the suitable settings of MPC-HC and what do you mean to not ask you ?

Did you do it by chance ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also have Core i7 4790K 4,0GHz Socket 1150 with Intel HD Graphics 4600 and windows 8.1 64bit and it worked for me

I just formated and reinstalled windows 8.1 so I hope I can find the right settings again with MPC-HC !

Edit: see next page for MPC-HC settings

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

NikosD

MPC player settings

1, options-internal filters-video decoder. now set threads for multi-threading to 16

2, options-playback-output. now set directshow video to overlay mixer renderer

save settings and shut it down and open again, now it should work much better

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

Intel's drivers have nothing or little to do with CPU video decoding, so it doesn't matter if you use v3960 or newer drivers.

They play a significant role, only if you use HW video acceleration.

MPC-HC settings like those you posted, have nothing or little to do with CPU video decoding.

Since that bug was first mentioned here more than 3 months ago and because we still don't know what's going on, I decided to do a further investigation.

I tried LAV x64 0.59 - 0.60 - 0.61 - 0.62 versions.

I found out that up to 0.61 version, ALL Samsung clips play just fine.

0.62 version broke that, so I think it's something between those two versions 0.61 - 0.62, probably an FFMpeg update introduced a bug in HEVC decoding, in order to be faster.

Since then, all FFMpeg versions, even latest have this bug.

If you want the FFMpeg bug to be fixed, you have to report that bug to FFMpeg team, or just use LAV video 0.61

Case solved (from user point of view)

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

Latest LAV v0.64 seems to have fixed the bug.

So, if you download the latest nightly MPC-HC x64 v1.7.8.61 or later which has LAV filters 0.64 inside, everything should play fine again.

0 Kudos
SCapa
New Contributor I

Hi, I have a problem with my HD 4400 on i3-4010U for reproduce 4K HEVC 8-bit, I'm on Windows 10 and the latest driver 10.18.15.4256 but the video is very jerky and also the audio block and start continuously.

I use Media Player Classic and full HW accelerated is enabled, any solution?

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

I have bad news for you.

Your CPU runs at only 1.7GHz without turbo mode, but with 4 threads (2 cores)

Your GPU runs at max 1GHz.

4K HEVC 8bit is HW accelerated by HD 4400 using GPU power (hybrid decoding) and not QuickSync (fixed-function HW decoding)

If I were you I would try the trial PowerDVD 15 using HW acceleration - which is thebest for Intel IGPUs.

For CPU decoding try latest MPC-HC but x64 version ONLY, using EVR renderer (avoid x86 MPC-HC which is a lot slower)

Last try would be WMP of Windows 10 which has a built-in very fast SW HEVC decoder and is very light.

Give it a try, although I believe 4K HEVC is too much for you, especially if the bit rate is high.

0 Kudos
SCapa
New Contributor I

so I wasted my money, when last year I decided to take this Nuc hoping to have a lasting media player for full hd and 4k.

I have to wait for the next Nuc with Skylake to be sure I can play Hevc 4k at 8-bit and 10-bit? Or go well with Broadwell?

0 Kudos