11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2014 4:05 AM by Freejackk

Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh

JackG

Hi,

My NUC's Configuration:

nuc: d54250wyk

memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GRSL

hard drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

No msata SSD/wifi.

Win 7 installation files are on a bootable flash drive created by Windows 7 usb/dvd download tool.

I got an error after win 7 installation files loading. "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

But I have successfully install win 7 on a Thinkpad T420 with this flash drive and the same harddrive. So, flash drive and hard drive should be GOOD.

The NUC BIOS is updated to latest.

Do I have to put a msata SSD in, and the windows has to be installed on SSD? Anything wrong with my NUC?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the NUC community.

I understand you are trying to install Windows 7 using a mechanical drive 2.5" and you are unable to install it.

I am performing same type of installation with same configuration, as soon as I am done with this lab, I will let you know my findings.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Allan.

• 2. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
            allan_intel

Thanks for your patience.

I have good news about this installation procedure. I was able to install Windows 7 using a thumb drive and 2.5" hard drive. I even tried win8 and the installation went fine. I would say you need to change USB thumb drives and recreate an installation image. There is no need to put mSata SSD to be able to install the operating system.

Allan.

• 3. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
              JackG

Thanks a lot. I will try another USB drive.

Jack

• 4. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                allan_intel

Thanks for the update.

Allan.

• 5. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                  JackG

Thanks Allan.

I tried 3 flash drives, but no one success. Sorry, I do not have more.

I removed the hard drive. So now, only memory is added to NUC system.

Then, I tried downloading Win 7 and Win 8 by windows usb/dvd download tool and copying Win 7 to a bootable usb drive by UltraISO. Every time, I got an error message.

File: \Windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

I searched this error on google. It seem that it is common in Win7 start up. But I am booting NUC from a bootable usb drive in install Win 7. In the usb drive, no winload.exe file can be found.

I also tried Ubuntu live on a usb. The usb drive can boot the ubuntu live successful and it runs fine on NUC.

Any trick to install win 7 on NUC? Thanks.

Jack.

• 6. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                    JackG

Update:

I tried installing Win 7 from UEFI shell. Same error.

Jack.

• 7. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                      JackG

Update:

Failed on Ubuntu installation from UEFI and legacy BIOS.

I am not sure if it is a BIOS issue or motherboard defect.

I used memtest86(from USB) to check the memory.

At the beginning, I got errors with 2 memory modules on both slots.

Then I tested each individual module on the bottom slot. Pass without errors.

Then I tested both memory modules. Pass without errors.

After there memory tests, I used a bootable USB created by UltraISO to install Win7. During the step of copying files to hard drive, I got an error (error code: 0x80070570)

After restart, errors were found by memtest86.

And I got the following error every time when I tried to install Win7.

File: \Windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

I think the memory modules should be fine, since they can pass the memory test.

But I do not understand the NUC's behave, is it a defect one? I just got it ~2weeks ago and struggled to make it working.

Thanks.

Jack

• 8. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                        allan_intel

That's unfortunate. I recommend contacting Intel customer service and request warranty for your NUC at: New Service Request

Allan.

• 9. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                          JackG

Fortunately, my Thinkpad T420 is using 2 Crucial memory modules (CT51264BF160BJ). So I exchanged them. And, I am using Crucial memory on NUC now, so far no problem.

BTW, I put G.SKILL memory on the T420 and tested them. No errors at all. And the Win7 on T420 works fine.

Thus, I guess that it is a memory compatibility issue.

The G.SKILL memory modules are from Newegg. One module is free with NUC purchase, so I bought the other one.

• 10. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                            gbruno

Just installed my NUC D54250WYKH today with Ripjaws 2x4GB F3-1600C11S-4GRSL and got faults reported in Memtestx86 as well windows crashes. Tested both memory modules in both sockets separately and both are fine.

Definitely a Ripjaws vs NUC D54250WYKH incompatibility... any chance getting this solved by a new BIOS Intel ?

• 11. Re: Win 7 installation issue on d54250wykh
                              Freejackk

Have the same problem on my D4250WYKH with G.Skill Ripjaws F3-1866C10D-8GRSL 2 x 4 GB, i know that mine is 1866mhz but have the exact same problem, tested both memory modules in both sockets separately with no errors in Memtestx86, and that would say that single channel is working fine, but when both are in so it runs dual channel it fails in Memtestx86.

Really hope this could be fixed somehow