Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Installing latest Wifi Link 5100AGN driver for Win7 64

HDado
Beginner

Hi

I am trying to install the latest Wifi Link 5100AGN driver for Win7 64 but it doesn't install. It starts and goes away after a few seconds. The driver version I am trying to install is 16_7_0. Any idea why this is?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Gedit, let me help you with this issue.

Do you have an older version of Intel® PROSet installed? If you do, I suggest you any of the two following possibilities:

• Upgrade incrementally from such older version by installing 14.3.1, 15.8.0 and 16.1.1 consecutively, depending on the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software version you already have installed (there is no need to go back to an older version compared to the one you have).
  • Uninstall the older Intel® PROSet Wireless Software, restart your system, and delete related folders from the drive. Then, install the desired version.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

Additional note: the latest driver for this adapter will be 14.3.2.1 for Windows* 7 for any supported Intel® PROSet Wireless Software version higher than 15.6.1.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Gedit, let me help you with this issue.

Do you have an older version of Intel® PROSet installed? If you do, I suggest you any of the two following possibilities:

• Upgrade incrementally from such older version by installing 14.3.1, 15.8.0 and 16.1.1 consecutively, depending on the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software version you already have installed (there is no need to go back to an older version compared to the one you have).
  • Uninstall the older Intel® PROSet Wireless Software, restart your system, and delete related folders from the drive. Then, install the desired version.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

Additional note: the latest driver for this adapter will be 14.3.2.1 for Windows* 7 for any supported Intel® PROSet Wireless Software version higher than 15.6.1.

0 Kudos
HDado
Beginner

Thanks for the support, but i've tried both options and I can't understand for the life of me, why it is so difficult for Intel to update the driver?

I've tried to uninstall and clean the paths as you suggested. I also clean the registry and make sure I start fresh/ But each time I restart it finds a driver. So the install did not seem to matter.

I've also tried the first option, only the 14.3.1 worked and actually changed the version, From that point on, none of the newer versions would change the versions. Actually the 15.9.0 changed the year one down for the 14.3.1, so no idea what is going on.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry for the trouble.

Jumping several software versions may not work properly because there are some changes between such versions. The best options are: updating incrementally or trying a clean install.

It is good to know it worked.

0 Kudos