2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 10:33 AM by kevin_intel

Intel XTU no longer works/installs after changing from i5 to Xeon e3

daveyp

I saw that some people are able to use intel XTU with Xeon's, but it wouldn't run after a simple CPU swap. So I uninstalled, rebooted, and attempted to reinstall the software and now I get an error that my platform is not supported.

I changed from an i5-3450, where Intel XTU worked fine, to a xeon e3-1230v2.

Complete specs:

CPU: Xeon e3-1230v2

Motherboard: Biostar Tz77xe3

RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3

GPU: AMD HD7870XT (Tahiti)

Any fix for this? Or any other programs that will force the CPU to run @ 3.7ghz (2 cores)?

• 1. Re: Intel XTU no longer works/installs after changing from i5 to Xeon e3
          daveyp

Also, while windows reports 3.3ghz native frequency, the xeon does not go past 3.1ghz. Any reason why? Secondly, intel's tubo boost software tells me tubro boost is not enabled, but it definitely is ticked to enabled in the BIOS.

edit: After some tinkering I was able to change the multiplier in the bios to 37. Saving changes and exiting, I see the advertized 3.3ghz, and cpu-z reports a multipier of 33. I went back into the BIOS and sure enough, it's set to 33. So I change it again to 37 and now cpu-z reports a multiplier of 35.

After some more research, it looks like 3.5ghz is the maximum supported frequency on the e3-1230v2 CPU when all four cores are being used. I'm happy with this result, but would still like to achieve the 3.7/3.7/3.6/3.5 the BIOS reports as possible but is not letting happen (or that windows is not letting happen).

Still having the problem with turbo boost too. It is set to enabled in the BIOS but I am unable to toggle it or any setting related to it. Before messing with the BIOS A single core wouldn't budge over even 3.1ghz. Is there some setting that's can get in the way of turbo boost? Why Intel's utilities say It's not even present?

• 2. Re: Intel XTU no longer works/installs after changing from i5 to Xeon e3

Hi daveyp,

I am sorry for your trouble but let me help you.

As per all the description you provided (very Helpful) I recommend you to update the BIOS to the latest one provided by your Computer Manufacture. Also Installing the Intel® Management Driver provided by the Computer Manufacture can do the trick. Here is the download page:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=581#dl

It is important to say the Intel® Turbo Boost is enabled on the processor by default so my best recommendation is to set all setting on the BIOS to default. By doing this, all technologies and best performance will be acquired from the processor.

Kevin M