6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 6:49 AM by SpiderKenny

Galileo failed firmware update.

SpiderKenny

Hi everyone

I hope someone can help me out here.

I had two Galileo boards and both were running version 1.0.0 of the firmware.

I updated the first one to v1.0.2 using the Arduino IDE without any problem.

The second one failed to update firmware and now it won't boot.

While attempting to boot I get this in the console:

Platform Data Item List in System Area:

****  Quark Data Id:Len = 0x0001:0x0002 Desc = PlatformID Ver=0000 ****

****  Quark Data Id:Len = 0x0006:0x0027 Desc = MrcParams Ver=0001 ****

****  Quark Data Id:Len = 0x0003:0x0006 Desc = 1st MAC Ver=0000 ****

****  Quark Data Id:Len = 0x0004:0x0006 Desc = 2nd MAC Ver=0000 ****

Early Platform Thermal Sensor Init

Ioh MAC [B:0, D:20, F:6] VER:1037 ADDR:98-4F-EE-00-82-D0

Ioh MAC [B:0, D:20, F:7] VER:1037 ADDR:00-00-6C-0D-0E-01

Boot mode recovery

Install PPI: 17EE496A-D8E4-4B9A-94D1-CE8272300850

*****           ERROR: System boot failure!!!!!!!           *****

***** - Press ‘R’ if you wish to force system recovery      *****

*****     (connect USB key with recovery module first)      *****

***** - Press any other key to attempt another boot         *****

Where should I go from here? I can probably get hold of a DediProg if that will help?

• 1. Re: Galileo failed firmware update.
          crossi

It sounds exactly like something that I experienced though with my 2nd Gen Galileo (see https://communities.intel.com/thread/53957 ). I ended up having to ship my board to Intel_Jesus and having him reflash the firmware using his DediProg.

• 2. Re: Galileo failed firmware update.
            SpiderKenny

I can get access to a dediprog.

So any idea where I can get the flash image from?

I also believe it should be possible to copy the flash image to USB Stick, and force recovery mode, where it will read it from the USB Stick. The issue being I don't have the flash image :-(

• 3. Re: Galileo failed firmware update.
              crossi

As I understand it he had to compile a new image specific for my board (i.e. compile with correct MAC addr, etc.). I don't know the details but I'm sure he'd be happy to provide that if you ping him.

• 4. Re: Galileo failed firmware update.
                Intel_Jesus

I would be happy to make the .bin file with your boards data. Please send me a private message with your boards info (Intel Galileo Gen 1 or Intel Galileo Gen2, boards MAC address).

Regards,

Intel_Jesus

• 5. Re: Galileo failed firmware update.
                  SpiderKenny

Thanks Intel_Jesus

I will do that now.

• 6. Re: Galileo failed firmware update.
                    SpiderKenny

Thanks to Intel_Jesus who created a new SPI Flash Image for me with the correct personalisation data.

This board had a corrupted SPI Flash after attempting to update the firmware to 1.0.2 using the Arduino IDE, and therefore could not boot.

I re-flashed the chip using the binary file that Intel_Jesus made for me, but it still wouldn't boot. So I dug out my logic anlayzer and attached it to the SPI header so I could monitor what was happening during the boot, hoping that I could figure out where in the boot process the failure was. What I discovered was that it appeared as though totally invalid commands were being sent to the SPI Flash. So I attached the logic analyzer to another Galileo which I knew to be good, and this time saw the correct commands being sent to the flash. So I then attached my oscilloscope probes to the header and found that the signals on MOSI/MISO and SCLK were not very clean - they had very rounded leading edges - ie, long rise times, causing the chip to be unable to decode the signals properly.

Although I couldn't see anything obvious on the board, I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) - paying attention to the areas around the flash chip, header and Quark. This solved the problem completely, and now the board boots first time every time.

One more interesting point, I couldn't get hold of a working DediProg, so I built my own SPI Flash Programmer using a Cypress CY8CKIT-010 - a Cypress PSoC 5LP prototyping kit. It can do erase, read, write and verify of SPI Flash chips, along with a 'dump' facility to dump the entire contents to PC - all over a USB connection. It took about 30 Minutes to flash the entire 64 Mbit chip.

Here's a picture of it:

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 13.47.37.png