3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 7:31 AM by kbatzer

XBMC "ERROR: unable to create gui, exiting" on nuc d54250wyk and HD Graphics 5000

kbatzer

I just build a new d54250 nuc running Windows 7 ultimate.  Media Center is working great.  I just downloaded and installed the latest production XBMC 13.2 Gotham.   When I start it, I get the a dialog box stating: "XBMC error: Unable to create gui, exiting".  On the XBMC forum they have this error listed.  The solution is to update the display drivers.  I have the latest "Intel HD Graphics 5000" drivers. Provider: Intel,  Date 6/11/2014.  Version:    10.18.10.3643.

can someone advise?

• 1. Re: XBMC "ERROR: unable to create gui, exiting" on nuc d54250wyk and HD Graphics 5000
          JSerano

Hi Kbatzer,

I have windows 8 x64 pro, the same driver as you, and xbmc gotham 13.0... http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/xbmc-13.0.exe

I would suggest, either :

-uninstall driver completely , reboot, install the driver again

-downgrade to xbmc 13.0

• 2. Re: XBMC "ERROR: unable to create gui, exiting" on nuc d54250wyk and HD Graphics 5000
            kbatzer

Thank-you for your response.  I have found an answer.

I was using a 2nd PC to access my MC (nuc) via RDP.  When I attempted to start XBMC, I got the XBMC error message.   I was frantically attempting to solve this by  looking at the XMBC.org site, then the Inte.coml site and then posting my message. 

I finally realized using RDP has many limitations.  When I accessed XBMC directly from my NUC console (my tv) it worked fine.

Anyway  thank-you again.  my stupidity!!

• 3. Re: XBMC "ERROR: unable to create gui, exiting" on nuc d54250wyk and HD Graphics 5000
              kbatzer

BTW...

I've had this NUC for 3 days now.  Building it up, adding memory, mSATA disk and loading it up with Windows 7 took a few bumps, but I finally got it all working after upgrading the BIOS and loading the newer drivers.  I'm using a Logitech Harmony one remote and a small Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. The remote works great and I will use it all the time for the media center.  I'll only use the keyboard when accessing the desktop when I need to change settings, run update or add new features.  

So far it's a great little box.  It's working just great.  I plan to use this box to replace my cable box.  I probably went a little over by purchasing this one with the i5 and adding 8GB RAM.  This is my first MC pc and I wanted to get it right with both WMC and XBMC.  There's a way to tightly integrate these two media services. I have it working with loose integration, so I'm still working on it. But back to the NUC, I may want another one. I might try a less expensive on to save on costs.  4 GB instead of 8GB, and Celeron or i3, instead of the i5. 

It's a great little box.  It's a keeper.