10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2015 12:00 PM by Maros

Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?

Arcx

Hi, I used to be able to play all my Blu-ray discs (Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, GI Joe, Tomb Raider, Expendables 2, all region A, no exclusive Blu-ray features) on my Lenovo Ideapad Y580 laptop (2012, Windows 7, Intel i7-3610QM, HD graphics 4000, Nvidia GTX660M), using bundled Cyberlink PowerDvd10. Until recently.

Bought Van Helsing (comes with U-control, BD live, D-motion features). The player won't play & showed error stating incompatible graphics driver. Went to windows device manager & click Intel HD graphics 'Update driver software' (done on Aug 2014). It searched online & stated update is complete (quick process, I have no idea what's been updated). Went to Windows Update, found optional updates available for 'Intel Corporation-Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, 1.2, 1.3 Aug 8th'. Performed update but update failed. Tried multiple times, still can't update that. Frustrated, tried playing Van Helsing, and to my joy, it played well.

Thinking my drivers were outdated, I went to Intel website & download/perform driver update to 10.18.10.3621. After that, ALL my Blu-Ray discs won't play??!! Went back to device manager, but 'Roll back driver' was dimmed, can't select it. Went back to Intel website, no previous drivers on their website!! Went to Cyberlink website & update PowerDvd to latest version, still can't play! The problem here is that new driver that trashed my system! I even noticed increased heat on my laptop. The Intel Graphics Adapter WDDM still showed as failed in windows update, and no new updates available?

Contacted Cyberlink, no help there. Please, Intel technical support. I need your help on this

• 1. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
          Zack_K

Hi Arcx,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with playing Blu-Ray(TM) disks. I will begin setting up the system and attempt to replicate the issue. I will let you know my progress as I get more information.

In the meantime, please use one of these links to download a previous driver so you can watch at least some of your movies again.

Here's the link for 32-bit: Intel® Download Center

Here's the link for 64-bit: Intel® Download Center

Could you also let me know if you've tried downloading the latest driver via the Intel(R) Download Center instead of Windows Update? Also, are you getting some sort of error message when attempting to play the disks?

Regards,

Zack_K

• 2. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
            Arcx

Thank you for your assistance on this matter, Zack_K.

Yes, I mentioned in my previous post, I went to Intel Download Center to update to the latest driver (10.18.10.3621), which trashed my Blu-Ray enjoyment. There are only 2 suitable drivers on that page; 10.18.10.3621 & 10.18.10.3496 (you suggested me to try this).

Regarding error message; before any updates, it was 'incompatible graphics driver'. After updates, the disc was spinning & player was showing loading progress in %. After reaching 100%, the player stayed idle (refer attachment). Disc stop spinning. Nothing I click can play it.

Also, I am including screenshot of my dxdiag (refer attachment).

Hear from you soon,

Thank you

sa.JPGsb.JPGidle screen.JPG

• 3. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
              Zack_K

Hi Arcx,

Thank you for providing more information. It will be very helpful to know what to look for as I try to replicate what you're seeing.

While I'm trying to set up the system, have you tried going to Lenovo(R)'s website and downloadnig the graphics driver there? Sometimes there are customized graphics drivers that are more suited for the specific computer than generic drivers.

Try the graphics driver that Lenovo's website provided; let me know what happens and we can go from there:

Laptops and netbooks :: IdeaPad Y Series laptops :: IdeaPad Y580 - Lenovo Support (US)

Also, I noticed that your BIOS version is not up-to-date. While I don't necessarily think it's the cause of your problem, it wouldn't hurt to update it. You can check out the link and decide if it's something you want to do.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y580/downloads/DS029084

Regards,

Zack_K

• 4. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
                Arcx

Hi Zack,

Here's what I've got so far. Based on your suggestion, I installed Intel's previous HD Graphics 4000 driver from Intel website. Doesn't play Blu-Ray. Went to lenovo website & installed very old graphics driver. Still doesn't play.

Since there are only 3 graphics drivers available to me (2 from Intel web & 1 from Lenovo), there's nothing I can do with them anymore. How come Intel provides update to new drivers & yet they trashed/caused problems that were not there before?? Worse, Intel removed older drivers for us to roll-back to!

What about your end? Any luck? I'll try to downgrade Nvidia graphics driver tomorrow. But I have a feeling my laptop's Blu-ray capabilities are screwed. There goes all my discs.

Hear from you soon

• 5. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
                  Zack_K

Hi Acrx,

Thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear that the drivers didn't resolve the issue.

In my end, I set up the system with the same drivers and updates but haven't seen the issue at this point. Other people at Intel(R) also work regularly with Blu-Ray players and disks but there have not been any issues with it so far. It doesn't mean that I'm not working on it anymore, but it's just a heads up of where I'm at right now. Can you also let me know if regular DVDs still work or not?

Definitely try the NVidia(R) graphics downgrade and see if that is able to fix the problem. What might also be a good option at this point is to try a System Restore to before the updates and see if it makes a difference. You can also try contacting Lenovo(R) and see if they have had similar problems or if they have a fix just in case it's an issue with the player itself for one reason or another.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more updates and we'll go from there.

Regards,

Zack_K

• 6. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
                    Arcx

All my dvd plays well. I downgraded Nvidia driver, as expected, still won't play. No solution from system restore either. My biggest mistake was thinking that updates are definitely better.  Wrong. If it doesn't break, don't fix it.

Tracing back, I did these in succession, updated Intel Graphics Driver > updated Nvidia driver > updated crap from Windows Update (perhaps some files in this update trashed everything).  I guess that's it then..Wasted hours downloading huge upgrade/downgrade files for nothing.

Was hoping to hear some good news, but since you said you encountered no problem your end, nothing can be done then.

I can 'feel' that it requires only 1 correct step in order to solve this, is it Blu-ray DRM-related? or that WDDM 1.1 update error in windows update? or conflict of Nvidia Optimus technology? Unfortunately, I'm not tech-savvy..That's sad

Anyway Zack..thank you for your assistance & time in this.

• 7. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
                      Zack_K

Hi Acrx,

I'm really sorry that those suggestions didn't work for you. You are right in that we were unable to replicate the issue, even after installing all of the updates from Windows Update.

Something else that I might also try include seeing if there's another media player you can try to play the Blu-Ray (R) disks on or try uninstalling and reinstalling CyberLink PowerDVD(R). Sometimes there's a software incompatability issue for one reason or another.

I've also read issues about people using USB or HDMI speakers having compatability issues due to DHCP protections. If that's not the case for you, then ignore this. If you do have a setup like this, I would see what happens if you change your audio settingsto have the laptop as direct audio output. If it works after that, then we can go from there.

Also, could you let me know if there's a specific configuration you have when you watch Blu-Ray disks? Are you connected to a TV, a monitor or watching directly from the laptop? Also, if you are connected, what type of connector are you using? That might be the problem if you have a setup like that.

Regards,

Zack_K

• 8. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
                        Zack_K

What you might also want to try to do is completely uninstall your graphics drivers, starting with nVidia(R) Graphics Driver and then Intel(R) Graphics Driver, Then, from the website download the provided Intel driver and then the provided nVidia driver so it's as close to the previous settings as before.

Same website as before, but try this order alongside installing the nVidia driver.

Laptops and netbooks :: IdeaPad Y Series laptops :: IdeaPad Y580 - Lenovo Support (SE)

• 9. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
                          hussla87

Hello Zack,

the suggested problem of Arcx is very similar to my own (HD4000). Blurays played well until a driver-update was scheduled by Windows Update. After restart PowerDVD 10 wouldn't play Blurays anymore. The loading-screen appears and maybe the language screen - then "cannot playback, code = 0122, security ...".  DVD, video-files and games are fine. BD Advisor of PowerDVD marks the Intel Driver as "not BD compatible".

HTPC is only connected to a LG-TV through HDMI. Graphic on board with no extra graphic card.

My steps:

• updated drivers via Intel-Homepage -> no Blurays with PDVD
                          • updated PDVD -> no Blurays
                          • tried "TotalMedia Theatre 3" -> no Blurays
                          • tried AunPlayer -> WOW Bluray works! -> but crappy ... (fragments, no security support)
                          • uninstalled Intel-Drivers and tried Windows Update drivers -> no Blurays

Seems to me that it's a HDPC (?) issue. But why now? It worked fine until a month ago.

Attached my dxdiag on that post.

Is it possible to get the HD4000 driver earlier than Dec 2013 ?

• 10. Re: Problem playing Blu-Ray discs with PowerDvd after update to latest HD Graphics 4000 Driver (10.18.10.3621)?
                            Maros

Hi all.

Since I have (May '14 ) new PC based on platform i7 - 4th Generation ( MB Intel DZ87KLT-75K, CPU Core i7 - 4771) I have same problem. I can't play my Blu-rays via Intel HD graphics 4600.

I tried Cyberlink Power DVD 14, Nero Blu ray Player, and Leawo Blu-ray Player.

Is there only one solution -> buy dedicated VGA?